Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by briang191
new to this thread anyone here using plastiq after the minimum spend has been made? 2.5% seems steep for 3x UR using ink preferred. Any feedback would be appreciated.
3 UR points worth 4.5 cents through Chase travel, which translates to a 2% profit margin. I think this is pretty decent for MS already. Probably most people here can squeeze more values from UR points. Also, all transactions can be finished before the computer screen by a few clicks of Mouse. There is no need to deal with physical GC, Kiosk, or customer service associate, which directly/indirectly limit the amount of MS transactions.
This is a dream MS approach IMHO.

Last edited by plainheart; Sep 9, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new to this thread anyone here using plastiq after the minimum spend has been made? 2.5% seems steep for 3x UR using ink preferred. Any feedback would be appreciated.
What you need to understand is that some of those people who don't churn much do tons of MS, and make up "in volume" for the low margins.

Also, some people have big expenses that they can't put on credit cards or even debit cards, so their choice is either Plastiq or sending a check from their bank account (on which they earn absolutely nothing). Those who are used to heavy MS, to them earning 0.5% still seems better than nothing. But to people who are not really into MS that heavily, it may seem more trouble than it's worth.

So it's all a personal value determination done in context of everything else they're doing.

Me, I'm so happy to be earning so many miles/points real fast from multiple signup bonuses every year*, that I don't worry about not earning 0.5% here or there once in a while in between those signup bonuses. I concentrate on where I can earn large amounts of miles / points faster, and then don't "waste time" on earning the very last miles /points at (what to me seems like) low value.

(*And, btw, for the past year I've been doing my churning exclusively on business cards, so that I progress towards being under 5/24 while still being able to churn modestly. I mention that because some people will say they MS instead of churning because they want to be able to keep getting Chase cards.)

But everyone's different.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 10, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:58 pm

I just scanned the last few pages of this thread, want to add a couple more data points.

Seems like some people can use Chase Ink Preferred in Plastiq to pay mortgages? It will not let me do it, trying to pay US Bank (sending paper check).

Also, when trying to pay with AMEX Business Gold, I'm getting the 'Unfortunately, American Express cards cannot be used to pay this recipient. '

So seems like their are no options now to pay mortgages with AMEX?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by rohdem
I just scanned the last few pages of this thread, want to add a couple more data points.

Seems like some people can use Chase Ink Preferred in Plastiq to pay mortgages? It will not let me do it, trying to pay US Bank (sending paper check).

Also, when trying to pay with AMEX Business Gold, I'm getting the 'Unfortunately, American Express cards cannot be used to pay this recipient. '

So seems like their are no options now to pay mortgages with AMEX?
I hope that is not true about using Amex! I was able to use my AMEX on Sept 1 to pay mine. Hope nothing has changed.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:25 pm

Just sent a payment to pennymac with CIP cc. I'll report of 3x appears
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Whorne
I hope that is not true about using Amex! I was able to use my AMEX on Sept 1 to pay mine. Hope nothing has changed.
I was told today in a chat with a rep for Plastiq that AMEX is following VISA's lead, saying they do not want third parties charging mortgages on their cards.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Whorne
Originally Posted by rohdem
I was told today in a chat with a rep for Plastiq that AMEX is following VISA's lead, saying they do not want third parties charging mortgages on their cards.
I was able to schedule/send one via Amex on 9/6.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Looking for data points of whether Citi att access more still codes rent as 3x after Jul 22. I'll switch to Amex Biz blue plus after that
Anyone tried the ATT card recently?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by pduan87
Anyone tried the ATT card recently?
Wrong thread for that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28778384-post1536.html
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by monsuoon
"Unfortunately, American Express cards cannot be used to pay this recipient. To submit your payment, we recommend using a MasterCard (check out our current promotion)."

Just received this message when trying to pay an established mortgage account that I have been paying for months with Amex
Datapoint: I paid my Wells Fargo mortgage this morning with the same American Express card I've been using the last few months. It went through with no problems. Plastiq category: Rent/Real Estate.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:57 am

How does that seem steep? If you have a Freedom card you are making 0.5% in cash. If you send it over to your CSR card you would be getting even more value. If you decide to the CSR route you are basically purchasing points at a discount.

For every $1,000 you send you charge $1,025. Which then gives you 3,075 UR.

So you are basically buying 3,075 UR for $25 which you can transfer to several airlines and hotels.

3,075 UR = $30.75 - 25 = $5.75

3,075 UR = $46.13 - 25 = $21.13 in credit through the Chase travel portal using a CSR

You might ask, why would $5.75 be worth my time? Well, the more you spend on the card, perhaps the more likely you can get a fee waiver at the end of the year. Or, you are trying to meet minimum spend. Or, you called to get a fee waiver and they declined and offered you something like 5,000-10,000 bonus UR if you spend $5k in the next 3 months.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
How does that seem steep? If you have a Freedom card you are making 0.5% in cash...

3,075 UR = $30.75 - 25 = $5.75
Yes, as long as there is no other cost to using Plastiq (e.g., risk of the payment being late), then you cannot lose by earning 3x UR pts on the payment vs paying by cash or check.

The only question would be if the bill could otherwise be paid directly by card with no convenience fee. At that point you'd need to consider the value of UR points, and it probably wouldn't be worth it to use Plastiq, especially if you have a card like AmEx BBP (2x MR pts everywhere), or even just Citi Double Cash.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
Yes, as long as there is no other cost to using Plastiq (e.g., risk of the payment being late), then you cannot lose by earning 3x UR pts on the payment vs paying by cash or check.

The only question would be if the bill could otherwise be paid directly by card with no convenience fee. At that point you'd need to consider the value of UR points, and it probably wouldn't be worth it to use Plastiq, especially if you have a card like AmEx BBP (2x MR pts everywhere), or even just Citi Double Cash.
I've never had any negative experience, but one positive experience is the notification when the person deposits the check. I don't think I get that through Chase bill payment.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I've never had any negative experience, but one positive experience is the notification when the person deposits the check. I don't think I get that through Chase bill payment.
Yes, I also have never had a problem, but others clearly have.

Two things that Plastiq could do to improve the experience for payees however:
  1. They print "Not valid after 30 days" on the checks. This is complete B.S., and any payee should ignore it, because no bank is going to pay attention to that printing as long as the check is less than 6 months old. It really smells like Plastiq is hoping that some payees procrastinate on cashing the check, take the printing at face value, and think their window to cash it has expired. It just looks shady.

2. The perforations are not very good, so it's surprisingly hard to tear the check from the invoice portion (I have checks for my housecleaner sent to our address).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
Yes, I also have never had a problem, but others clearly have.

Two things that Plastiq could do to improve the experience for payees however:
  1. They print "Not valid after 30 days" on the checks. This is complete B.S., and any payee should ignore it, because no bank is going to pay attention to that printing as long as the check is less than 6 months old. It really smells like Plastiq is hoping that some payees procrastinate on cashing the check, take the printing at face value, and think their window to cash it has expired. It just looks shady.

2. The perforations are not very good, so it's surprisingly hard to tear the check from the invoice portion (I have checks for my housecleaner sent to our address).
For some reason I thought having them sent to your house was frowned upon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.