Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
I think this is wrong, points expire on the last day of the month following the month where they were earned.....so points earned today, expire at end Nov.
Still very generous, just hope it lasts as T&C say it can be pulled at any time.

FR work at all participating Shell, a quick search on FR site found plenty of locations in Miami.

If you swipe S&S, you are limited to $1.50, but swiping FR has no such limit. I cannot answer which points are used first. My wish is that they pull the S&S
first and then add on any FR.
If you look at the promotions page of FR, it seems like "card-linked" promos (like using your Mastercard) expire at the end of 2 months after the current month. Hence Dec. 31 right now.

I will try to empty some gas cans by Thursday and swipe my FR card locally to see which points are deducted. I hope it's the Giant points, and this way I can save the FR for future use. Before I got my physical card from FR, I just used my linked phone number, and I got nothing at all from FR (just Giant points).

Originally Posted by tuphat
Respectfully submitted: I think you need to experiment to find your answers. This thread and contributors to it mix too many variables, which makes dependable answers rare.

FWIW: I linked my Giant and FR accounts a while back, via link on the Giant site. I use my Giant card at a Shell stnt in NoVa. It consistently combines any and all available Giant and FR discounts (for me, that's usually $1.50 plus $.05). Also, when I have a MC bonus available via FR, it applies that as well, down to a min price of 1.9 cents per gallon.
Any idea what drains first?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:46 pm
soy

Programs: various
I am getting my expiry directly from the T&C https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewa...cery-lto-terms
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
If you look at the promotions page of FR, it seems like "card-linked" promos (like using your Mastercard) expire at the end of 2 months after the current month. Hence Dec. 31 right now.
•Mastercard reserves the right to determine which purchases qualify for the Offer.
•You can earn up to a maximum of $125/gal in savings for the Mastercard 15¢ Grocer Bonus.
•Fuel Rewards® savings earned through the Offer will post to your Fuel Rewards® account approximately 5–7 business days after you reach $100 in accumulated qualified spend. Once Fuel Rewards® savings have posted to your account, you can redeem them by inserting your Fuel Rewards® card or entering your Alt ID at the pump at any participating Shell station and other select fuel stations. The price of fuel will roll down based on the amount of accumulated rewards posted to your Fuel Rewards® account at the time of redemption for up to 20 gallons of fuel.
Fuel Rewards® savings earned through the Offer expire on the last day of the month immediately following the month in which they are posted to your account.
"

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewa...cery-lto-terms
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Various
Deleted... Will post again.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Fuel Rewards® savings earned through the Offer expire on the last day of the month immediately following the month in which they are posted to your account.
"

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewa...cery-lto-terms
Do my Fuel Rewards savings ever expire?
Most rewards expire on the last day of the month. Some rewards are available longer than others, but all rewards are available for at least one month. See below for details on expiration for each program offer.
1-Month Expiration
Rewards earned through the following offers expire on the last day of the month, one full month following the month in which they were earned.
Ex: Earn a reward on June 15, and the reward will expire on July 31.
Winn-DixieMasterCard® Offers
Shop at ShellCaesars Total Rewards
HomelandCountrymart® Offers
IGS EnergyBI-LO
2-Month Expiration
Rewards earned through the following offers expire on the last day of the month, two full months following the month in which they were earned.
Ex: Earn a reward on June 15, and the reward will expire on August 31.
Card-Linked OffersTravel
Online Shopping
3-Month Expiration
Rewards earned through the following offers expire on the last day of the month, three full months following the month in which they were earned.
Ex: Earn a reward on June 15, and the reward will expire on September 30.
Dining
30-Day Expiration
Rewards earned through the following offers expire 30 days after the reward is earned.
Ex: Earn a reward on June 15, and the reward will expire on July 15.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
I have a question regarding Giants PA

it looks like there are 2 type of stores https://giantfood.com/ & https://giantfoodstores.com/

Probably the same parent company....We recently moved from NJ to PA and my nearest giant happens to be --> https://giantfoodstores.com/

The FAQ on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ says the max limit is upto 25 gallons...is this correct as it is usually 20 gallons in S&S NJ? It also doesn't mention anything about max discount....if i have enough points will the gas be free? And when i try to find gas stores it shows limited shell stores 11miles away and a few giant gas stations 10miles away,...is this accurate?With the current promo i have about 2.5k points, can i use this at any shell station or only the ones mentioned on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ store locator?

Kind of a bummer that me and wife will need to drive together 10miles away for gas....
The FAQ on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ says the max limit is upto 25 gallons...is this correct - YES
It also doesn't mention anything about max discount....if i have enough points will the gas be free? - YES - maybe a one cent minimum charge.

And when i try to find gas stores it shows limited shell stores 11miles away and a few giant gas stations 10miles away,...is this accurate? - I don't know how accurate it is, but I know that not all Giant Food stores have a gas station.

With the current promo i have about 2.5k points, can i use this at any shell station or only the ones mentioned on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ store locator? - I don't get my gas at Shell, so I don't know the answer to this one.

Kind of a bummer that me and wife will need to drive together 10miles away for gas.... - You might want to look at Weis and their gas rewards program as well. Maybe they are closer to you.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkippyME
The FAQ on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ says the max limit is upto 25 gallons...is this correct - YES
It also doesn't mention anything about max discount....if i have enough points will the gas be free? - YES - maybe a one cent minimum charge.

And when i try to find gas stores it shows limited shell stores 11miles away and a few giant gas stations 10miles away,...is this accurate? - I don't know how accurate it is, but I know that not all Giant Food stores have a gas station.

With the current promo i have about 2.5k points, can i use this at any shell station or only the ones mentioned on the https://giantfoodstores.com/ store locator? - I don't get my gas at Shell, so I don't know the answer to this one.

Kind of a bummer that me and wife will need to drive together 10miles away for gas.... - You might want to look at Weis and their gas rewards program as well. Maybe they are closer to you.
Thank you so much! Much appreciate your response....i will look into weis gas program as well....do they have similar points program for gift card purchases?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
Thank you so much! Much appreciate your response....i will look into weis gas program as well....do they have similar points program for gift card purchases?
Yes, you can earn points for GC there. Max discount per gallon is $1.50. Glad to finally know enough to be helpful to someone.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
How do you confirm if a given Shell combines FRN and Giant? E.g. if gas is 2.40 and I have 1.50 of Giant and 2.50 of Shell, how do I know if it's burning 0.90 of FRN + 1.50 of Giant, or 2.40 of Shell? Seems like most gas stations around NoVA aren't combining anyway, based on previous 1.50 Giant + 0.06 FRN. I have yet to try the Lee Hwy station.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
How do you confirm if a given Shell combines FRN and Giant? E.g. if gas is 2.40 and I have 1.50 of Giant and 2.50 of Shell, how do I know if it's burning 0.90 of FRN + 1.50 of Giant, or 2.40 of Shell? Seems like most gas stations around NoVA aren't combining anyway, based on previous 1.50 Giant + 0.06 FRN. I have yet to try the Lee Hwy station.
If you have enough Shell points that it would cover the full cost without taking up to $1.50 of Giant/S&S, I think there is no way to know until after the fact to see if your Giant/S&S balance went down.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone CHANGED the Mastercard in their Fuel Rewards account and still earned the 15 cent/gallon bonus at Giant? I don't have a lot of Mastercards, and I particularly don't have one with a supermarket bonus. My wife and I do have the Barclay's Aviator MCs, and they often offer us capped spending bonuses. This quarter, we're getting 2 extra miles for every dollar, capped at 2500 extra miles. So my 3 $500 GC purchases have exhausted that bonus. I'd like to substitute my wife's card number to earn her the bonus. Will it work?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:04 pm

Has anyone CHANGED the Mastercard in their Fuel Rewards account and still earned the 15 cent/gallon bonus at Giant? I don't have a lot of Mastercards, and I particularly don't have one with a supermarket bonus. My wife and I do have the Barclay's Aviator MCs, and they often offer us capped spending bonuses. This quarter, we're getting 2 extra miles for every dollar, capped at 2500 extra miles. So my 3 $500 GC purchases have exhausted that bonus. I'd like to substitute my wife's card number to earn her the bonus. Will it work?
I believe can both be registered simultaneously. Otherwise, deleting the card and adding a different Mastercard should work just fine. I might give the card number a day to circulate through the system.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:44 pm

Just add the card, I have 2 linked in my account right now.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Just add the card, I have 2 linked in my account right now.
Thanks -- will do.

BTW, what MC are folks using to maximize this deal? I don't have a lot of MCs, and the only one I have that I know that has a category bonus for supermarkets is IHG. That gives 2 points. Given the weak valuation of IHG points, I still don't think it's worth using that card!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:11 pm

A bit useless datapoint

Had $1.06 in FR account, stocked up on Visa GCs on the way home. S&S receipt was showing that I could save up to $2.50, $1.50 from S&S and $1.00 from FR. Went to my local Shell and used my FR card -- $2.56 came off the price of gasoline ($2.59 is the price here in MA).

Unknowns:
1. If my FR account had higher balance would S&S receipt suggest that I can get higher savings?
2. If my FR account had higher balance would using FR card at the pump use up all of the FR pts before using S&S pts.
3. If I use my S&S card would I be able to get more than $1.50 in savings and if yes what points would it use first.

Should have answer to #1 by Thursday and hopefully something for #2 and #3 sometime next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.