Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by financialhippie
Gotcha, I go to 2 or 3 different grocery stores monthly, and my local S&S is one of them so it's easy to go a few more times and pick up the VGCs. A Big Y also opened up right down the street form S&S, so there's a minor price war going on, good news for us!
big y is a great store to cherry pick sales, especially first week of the month. i worked for them through HS/college; their sales are set up to draw as much 'fixed income' revenue as possible (especially SNAP). they now offer a 7% discount for seniors every tuesday, which bothers a lot of the employees because they don't get any sort of employee discount (i believe S&S employees get 10% off, plus better pay/benefits because of the union. big y is paranoid of unions).

stores can't get into price wars at store-level. the eight new stores around boston probably get "special" pricing on a few items in the flyer, but that's it (i.e., grapes at those stores will be $1.49/lb instead of $1.99/lb at their other stores). big y's everyday prices, as you'll find out, are awful. more than 90% of the complaints we got from customers via the website were because of the high prices. the pizza is also a great item to cherry pick!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by riphamilton
big y is a great store to cherry pick sales, especially first week of the month. i worked for them through HS/college; their sales are set up to draw as much 'fixed income' revenue as possible (especially SNAP). they now offer a 7% discount for seniors every tuesday, which bothers a lot of the employees because they don't get any sort of employee discount (i believe S&S employees get 10% off, plus better pay/benefits because of the union. big y is paranoid of unions).

stores can't get into price wars at store-level. the eight new stores around boston probably get "special" pricing on a few items in the flyer, but that's it (i.e., grapes at those stores will be $1.49/lb instead of $1.99/lb at their other stores). big y's everyday prices, as you'll find out, are awful. more than 90% of the complaints we got from customers via the website were because of the high prices. the pizza is also a great item to cherry pick!
Huh, good to know! Don't want to get too off topic, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the sales, thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:50 am

There's another way to get really cheap gas reward from S&S. I'll share info in 2 months, since I'm moving out of their service area, and don't want it be shut down just yet...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the store today, I had a sharp manager who, while buying a $500 Visa, suggested I buy 2 $250 Visas in separate transactions to receive 2 $15 grocery credits. She said "all the employees" were doing that. She's probably right that this is the value maximizing strategy, but if you're liquidating these things through money orders, it's not the hassle-minimizing strategy. Still, those with particularly friendly MO clerks and a need for groceries might want to go this route.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
At the store today, I had a sharp manager who, while buying a $500 Visa, suggested I buy 2 $250 Visas in separate transactions to receive 2 $15 grocery credits. She said "all the employees" were doing that. She's probably right that this is the value maximizing strategy, but if you're liquidating these things through money orders, it's not the hassle-minimizing strategy. Still, those with particularly friendly MO clerks and a need for groceries might want to go this route.
It depends. If you're MS'ing then it makes sense to go for the max value of the GC since the fee is fixed. If you're going to be actually spending those GCs then $250 makes more sense.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
It depends. If you're MS'ing then it makes sense to go for the max value of the GC since the fee is fixed. If you're going to be actually spending those GCs then $250 makes more sense.
I agree - the fee/dollars on VGC is the important piece for MS, and this $15 GC is just something to reduce that fee.

Though it's funny that some of the employees are doing this for their own groceries too, basically MSing for the free groceries, rather than the points and miles
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Follow-up on my previous data point stating that I was able to use my coupon for the $5.95 VGC fee.

Repeated again this morning, but only in 1 out of 3 Giants in my immediate area.

Also interesting to note that that same Giant appears to have a different system, or at least outdated access to my account information. At the bottom of each receipt (below the actual coupon), it shows "2017 card Savings...." and "Gas Rewards" totals. For 2 out the 3 stores, the data is accurate and up to date. For this 3rd store that allowed use of the coupon towards VGC fee, it shows a drastically different savings and Gas points total. Both were significantly lower and I could not track against the others.

Specifically, I went to my usual Giant and purchased several VGCs in separate transactions. Each said my 2017 savings was a little over $200, and my Gas rewards were apprx 1800. Went to the odd ball Giant about 20 minutes later and also purchased several VGCs. The bottom of that receipt said my 2017 savings was just under $100 and my gas rewards were 1682.

Just putting it out there. Definitely system issues at this third Giant. It happens to be the most inconvenient for me so I didn't have a chance to go back sooner.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Follow-up on my previous data point stating that I was able to use my coupon for the $5.95 VGC fee.

Repeated again this morning, but only in 1 out of 3 Giants in my immediate area.

Also interesting to note that that same Giant appears to have a different system, or at least outdated access to my account information. At the bottom of each receipt (below the actual coupon), it shows "2017 card Savings...." and "Gas Rewards" totals. For 2 out the 3 stores, the data is accurate and up to date. For this 3rd store that allowed use of the coupon towards VGC fee, it shows a drastically different savings and Gas points total. Both were significantly lower and I could not track against the others.

Specifically, I went to my usual Giant and purchased several VGCs in separate transactions. Each said my 2017 savings was a little over $200, and my Gas rewards were apprx 1800. Went to the odd ball Giant about 20 minutes later and also purchased several VGCs. The bottom of that receipt said my 2017 savings was just under $100 and my gas rewards were 1682.

Just putting it out there. Definitely system issues at this third Giant. It happens to be the most inconvenient for me so I didn't have a chance to go back sooner.
I've had issues like that before. One time, two different sets of rewards info were printed on the receipt. The other time, no points or coupons were applied even though my Giant card was scanned.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ST4LKER
There's another way to get really cheap gas reward from S&S. I'll share info in 2 months, since I'm moving out of their service area, and don't want it be shut down just yet...
Thanks, I guess.

But at least you're being honest. Lots of secrets in the MS game, it would seem. And I assume some of those secrets are warranted.

Originally Posted by financialhippie
I agree - the fee/dollars on VGC is the important piece for MS, and this $15 GC is just something to reduce that fee.

Though it's funny that some of the employees are doing this for their own groceries too, basically MSing for the free groceries, rather than the points and miles
I like seeing sharp store employees. It's sure better than them thinking you're a crook for buying gift cards.

Unless you don't eat, I think the manager is correct that it's better to buy the cards in $250 amounts. Even Walmart has a 4-card limit for MOs. If I were a regular shopper at Giant, I'd probably do it that way. You just have to think if $15 in food is worth $6.

But it's too much hassle for me. The MO people are usually confused or think I'm doing some scam if I do a split tender on a MO. They're happiest at Walmart, though. I guess that's the Headquarters of this strange hobby, so they see it more often.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by ST4LKER
please do so via PM to members with some sort of history on FT, as opposed to posting in the open thread.

not knocking you whatsoever (if anything, i respect the ingenuity), but the current program is something that many of us would like to stick around for as long as possible.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks, I guess.

But at least you're being honest. Lots of secrets in the MS game, it would seem. And I assume some of those secrets are warranted.

I like seeing sharp store employees. It's sure better than them thinking you're a crook for buying gift cards.

Unless you don't eat, I think the manager is correct that it's better to buy the cards in $250 amounts. Even Walmart has a 4-card limit for MOs. If I were a regular shopper at Giant, I'd probably do it that way. You just have to think if $15 in food is worth $6.

But it's too much hassle for me. The MO people are usually confused or think I'm doing some scam if I do a split tender on a MO. They're happiest at Walmart, though. I guess that's the Headquarters of this strange hobby, so they see it more often.
Very true - I have decent luck with split tender some places, but the 2 or 3 WalMarts I go to - no issues at all!

Originally Posted by riphamilton
please do so via PM to members with some sort of history on FT, as opposed to posting in the open thread.

not knocking you whatsoever (if anything, i respect the ingenuity), but the current program is something that many of us would like to stick around for as long as possible.
And the [probably warranted] paranoia strikes again! Sign me up for that PM if you go that route
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Been searching the thread and couldn't find the answer. Could anyone say for sure whether the visa gift cards at giant are going to count for 5x chase freedom points next quarter. If so, plan to max out next week. Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by shystalips
Been searching the thread and couldn't find the answer. Could anyone say for sure whether the visa gift cards at giant are going to count for 5x chase freedom points next quarter. If so, plan to max out next week. Thanks
5x Chase Freedom should work at S&S, but current $15 promo ends 3/30/17.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
5x Chase Freedom should work at S&S, but current $15 promo ends 3/30/17.
I think there's a new promo for next week. Anyone have any problem getting multiple 15 off coupons on separate trips and redeeming those on separate trips?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shystalips
I think there's a new promo for next week. Anyone have any problem getting multiple 15 off coupons on separate trips and redeeming those on separate trips?
It seems to be just 10x Dominos and Xbox GCs, so not anything likely to entice the Flyertalk crowd (unless they eat LOTS of chain pizza).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.