Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by shystalips
I think there's a new promo for next week. Anyone have any problem getting multiple 15 off coupons on separate trips and redeeming those on separate trips?
If only there were pages of discussion dedicated to this very answer. Shucks. Too bad.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:27 pm

I think there's a new promo for next week. Anyone have any problem getting multiple 15 off coupons on separate trips and redeeming those on separate trips?
You can get multiple $15 off coupons on the same trip, just ring each VGC separately.

I've only redeemed them one at a time. Freaks the cashier out when it take $15 off. They have to read the coupon, call a manager over, ask another cashier.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Normally I'm not one of those "read" people - but this is all that's been in this thread for the past week or so.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by gw14
You can get multiple $15 off coupons on the same trip, just ring each VGC separately.

I've only redeemed them one at a time. Freaks the cashier out when it take $15 off. They have to read the coupon, call a manager over, ask another cashier.
As long as there are people willing to spoon-feed the masses it will only get worst. I'm all about helping other people out but if everyone keeps answering the same questions over and over, we are just enabling them and fill up every thread with a million posts of the same thing.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by the188
As long as there are people willing to spoon-feed the masses it will only get worst. I'm all about helping other people out but if everyone keeps answering the same questions over and over, we are just enabling them and fill up every thread with a million posts of the same thing.
Sorry guys, I don't want to be one of those guys. I usually spend most of my time over on slickdeals and am a good contributor over there. Guess I have to devote a little more time over here and not act like such a newb.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:20 pm

I am kinda glad this S&S week is over, breaking down GC purchases into 1 card per transaction and using up those $15 coupons was a bit tiring. Still have a dozen or so coupons to redeem over the upcoming week.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I am kinda glad this S&S week is over, breaking down GC purchases into 1 card per transaction and using up those $15 coupons was a bit tiring. Still have a dozen or so coupons to redeem over the upcoming week.
You'll remain tired for the next week.

I only bought 8 and I found the shopping tiring. Today I just grabbed 12 bags of goldfish (exactly $15 on sale) because I refused to shop. At least my kids like them, and they don't expire until summer.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
You'll remain tired for the next week.

I only bought 8 and I found the shopping tiring. Today I just grabbed 12 bags of goldfish (exactly $15 on sale) because I refused to shop. At least my kids like them, and they don't expire until summer.

Stocking up on coffee over here.

BTW my wife works right next to a stop and shop(parks in their parking lot). I sent her in to buy 1 and she forgot to use her membership card. When I went there myself to pick up some more and asked what they could do about it they gave me a $15 GC.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:06 pm

it's tiring breaking up the transactions, but I spent 1/3 in two weeks compared to what I do when the vgc are on gas points for one week
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by 12HRS
Stocking up on coffee over here.

BTW my wife works right next to a stop and shop(parks in their parking lot). I sent her in to buy 1 and she forgot to use her membership card. When I went there myself to pick up some more and asked what they could do about it they gave me a $15 GC.
They gave me $15 cash when they forgot to scan the S&S card I handed to them.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Here's another, this is why we can't have nice things, moment:

Cashier at my local S&S tells me last night of a guy who came, bought one VGC for $250, opened it up in front of him, then used that VGC to buy another VGC for $250 (I'm assuming split payment to cover the fee) and then kept repeating that (all in separate transactions) to get about 20 coupons. He showed me the trashbin with about 20 opened VGC packages. Cashier was young and not the brightest so he let it happen.

I really don't understand some of you. No concept of flying under the radar at all. Congrats on getting $300 worth of free groceries but as managers find out about this kind of abuse and it works its way up to corporate, I doubt we'll see deals like this again.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
Here's another, this is why we can't have nice things, moment:

Cashier at my local S&S tells me last night of a guy who came, bought one VGC for $250, opened it up in front of him, then used that VGC to buy another VGC for $250 (I'm assuming split payment to cover the fee) and then kept repeating that (all in separate transactions) to get about 20 coupons. He showed me the trashbin with about 20 opened VGC packages. Cashier was young and not the brightest so he let it happen.

I really don't understand some of you. No concept of flying under the radar at all. Congrats on getting $300 worth of free groceries but as managers find out about this kind of abuse and it works its way up to corporate, I doubt we'll see deals like this again.
I agree on flying under the radar, but what do you think cashier should have done to stop this? Not sell the GCs? Not allow split payment / take the GC as payment? There're also folks who believe that there's no flying under the radar when you consistently buy high $ GCs at the same places, so they hit it as hard as they can while they can.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
I agree on flying under the radar, but what do you think cashier should have done to stop this? Not sell the GCs? Not allow split payment / take the GC as payment? There're also folks who believe that there's no flying under the radar when you consistently buy high $ GCs at the same places, so they hit it as hard as they can while they can.
Not take the GC as payment. There's a difference between consistently buying high $ GCs at the same location and what I described. Blatantly abusing a deal is what gets people talking and eventually finds its way to corporate. And the "hit it as hard as you can" mentality is what we don't need in this hobby.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
Not take the GC as payment. There's a difference between consistently buying high $ GCs at the same location and what I described. Blatantly abusing a deal is what gets people talking and eventually finds its way to corporate. And the "hit it as hard as you can" mentality is what we don't need in this hobby.

Why wouldn't they take the GC, especially since they know where it came from. The buyer should have been a bit smarter and bought the initial gift card with $250 + all the fees he'd need for future gift cards. Say if he wanted to buy two GCs, initial one should have been $255.95 and second one $250, which could have been purchased with the first GC without split payment. Also it does not sounds like the buyer is an experienced MSer (lots of $15 coupons, but min spend on the CC), probably got an idea from some blog post somewhere and decided to go ahead with it without considering long term consiquences.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:28 am

Why wouldn't they take the GC, especially since they know where it came from. The buyer should have been a bit smarter and bought the initial gift card with $250 + all the fees he'd need for future gift cards. Say if he wanted to buy two GCs, initial one should have been $255.95 and second one $250, which could have been purchased with the first GC without split payment. Also it does not sounds like the buyer is an experienced MSer (lots of $15 coupons, but min spend on the CC), probably got an idea from some blog post somewhere and decided to go ahead with it without considering long term consiquences.
So they ended up getting $250 in CC spend and $300 in free groceries? The coupons expire in 1 week and can only be used one per transaction. Are they going to break up their grocery purchases into 20 $15 segments or do 20 trips? Either way sounds like someone who didn't think this through...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.