FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:41 pm
riphamilton

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by financialhippie
Gotcha, I go to 2 or 3 different grocery stores monthly, and my local S&S is one of them so it's easy to go a few more times and pick up the VGCs. A Big Y also opened up right down the street form S&S, so there's a minor price war going on, good news for us!
big y is a great store to cherry pick sales, especially first week of the month. i worked for them through HS/college; their sales are set up to draw as much 'fixed income' revenue as possible (especially SNAP). they now offer a 7% discount for seniors every tuesday, which bothers a lot of the employees because they don't get any sort of employee discount (i believe S&S employees get 10% off, plus better pay/benefits because of the union. big y is paranoid of unions).

stores can't get into price wars at store-level. the eight new stores around boston probably get "special" pricing on a few items in the flyer, but that's it (i.e., grapes at those stores will be $1.49/lb instead of $1.99/lb at their other stores). big y's everyday prices, as you'll find out, are awful. more than 90% of the complaints we got from customers via the website were because of the high prices. the pizza is also a great item to cherry pick!