Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a new thread for 2016. The previous megathread on this topic is here.

The 2017 thread is here.

This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep. Post #132.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)

* FASTEST WAY to liquidate $20 Staples Rebate Visa GCs*
Use for purchase at Costco. The POS at Costco will auto-drain the Staples Visa GC, once you press the green button when the PIN is requested.
Then, swipe the next Staples VGC, press green and repeat! The POS is so fast, you can keep feeding 4 - 5 total $20 cards and the cashier will not even care!
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:29 pm

spreadsheet is your friend.

you've bitten more than you can chew, you're likely to choke. learn to crawl first before you run. good luck!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:39 am

deleted

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 7, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:36 am

the last time I ordered $300 VGCs from staples was in Dec 2015 when they sold it for less than $300 limit 2 per order, shipped. I am 100% sure it was NOT sent via certified mail so saying that is misinformation. I got email when it was approved and saw charges on pending status on Ink+ and another email when it was shipped, but definitely not via certified mail.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
Rocky,

Let me try to answer you in a non-patronizing way. Usually, you should be able to track the packages staples has mailed you. Since, these are gift cards, they are usually sent by traceable/certified mail.
(emphasis mine)

My orders have never been sent via certified mail, only regular mail. If you order the $300, 6-card maximum, they are sent in a manila padded/bubbled envelope with the activation codes mailed separately. If you order just two or three, the ones I've received were mailed in a regular envelope. Good luck.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Thanks folks!

Yeah they are the non-trackable ones from GCM.
And another envelope for the codes.

Yeah have started to track the spending now.
Will go through the other thread.

Agreed its a lot quicker than a month ago.
My order of 1/24 arrived on 2/6 haven't got the codes yet though.

Nothing specific as of now. Sprint over crawling now ;-)
Enjoy your Sunday!!!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rocky,

Let me try to answer you in a non-patronizing way. Usually, you should be able to track the packages staples has mailed you. Since, these are gift cards, they are usually sent by traceable/certified mail. I have opened a thread titled "tracking the MS Loop" on this forum, you might want to go through and read some of strategies and pitfalls. If you have any specific question feel free to ask.
100% false. 100% misinformation.

You also forget to mention (or you dont even know based on your post above) the activation codes often do not arrive until a few days later and sometimes never arrives.

If you do not know the answer, dont make up a post that contains completely wrong information to mislead the uninitiated. It is a very bad behavior to mislead others.

The gift cards are sent by regular mail and I even got a ripped envelope once.
Below 5 cards they are sent in white No.9 envelope. Between 5 to 6 (the max) they are sent in a bubbled manila package. All cards in one order are sent in the same envelope. So you either receive the whole order or you dont receive it.

There is NO WAY to track or trace the package. One just receives an "your order has been shipped" email and then hope the package would show up in a few days time. It is better to receive the cards first because anyone can call in to activate the cards - there is very loose verification of the rightful owner - all the information needed can be found on the sheet that contains the gift card. If you receive the codes first, call immediately to get the order notated that No Phone Activation Allowed and get a case reference number - so you would be somewhat protected in case the cards have gone astray.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 7, 2016 at 10:08 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:29 pm

Okay based on how I get other gift cards, I thought this would be no different and hence I used the qualifier usually. But if that doesn't apply to staples/GCM then I will delete the post. In any case, if you order GCs worth 2K and packet is lost, staples needs to take the responsibility. I can not imagine they are just sending packets by untraceable mail. Obviously, disputing charges with Chase in this case would like opening can of worms. Thanks for the heads up and won't order in bulk till I understand what is the way out in case the packet is lost.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay based on how I get other gift cards, I thought this would be no different and hence I used the qualifier usually. But if that doesn't apply to staples/GCM then I will delete the post. In any case, if you order GCs worth 2K and packet is lost, staples needs to take the responsibility. I can not imagine they are just sending packets by untraceable mail. Obviously, disputing charges with Chase in this case would like opening can of worms. Thanks for the heads up and won't order in bulk till I understand what is the way out in case the packet is lost.
I dont know of any gift cards that are sent by certified mail, at least not in the sense of the cards for MS purpose.

If your package does not arrive a week after receiving the shipment notice email. the first course of action is to call GiftcardMall and they would start an investigation.

To be honest, ordering in 5 to 6 gives you a "better" way to ensure the package would not be lost or intercepted because if your read people's posts, in that quantity the cards are sent in bubbled manila package that is about 3/4 of the size of 8x11. Sometimes it has a protective tape at the closure sometimes it doesn't. Because of the size, it is much harder to go astray.

On the other hand if you are chicklittle and only order a couple cards, they are sent in white regular size envelope which to me has much bigger chance to get lost or stolen because one can easily feel there are cards in it!

It takes some risk tolerance level to order these cash equivalent gift cards. Else you should just go to the store to purchase the $200 instead.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 7, 2016 at 10:07 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:21 am

The rebates from first of the year are taking forever, all mine have been validated but not shipped. Usually takes a week to get once the status moves to "shipped." This one is looking like they'll take the full 6-8 weeks.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
The rebates from first of the year are taking forever, all mine have been validated but not shipped. Usually takes a week to get once the status moves to "shipped." This one is looking like they'll take the full 6-8 weeks.
Rebates from Black Friday - Mid January will ship about 4 weeks AFTER the holiday return period.

This is to prevent submitting the rebate and returning the item.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Yeah i submitted in Jan - couple of them, validated not shipped though.
Fingers crossed they would not black list me in Staples for applying more than one.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:23 am

Placed an order for some $300 cards today. Let's see how patient I am
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
My last order of 5 was completed in less than a week:
Ordered Tuesday 2/2 PM
Ship Notification Friday 2/5 AM
Received both cards and activation codes on Monday 2/8.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:46 am

Since its still in the Wiki, just wanted to ask if its still possible to order the cards to be sent to a store for pickup.

I couldnt find that option in my recent orders but would feel more comfortable going to the store and picking up the cards after ID verification.

Also is it true that if in a order the activation codes fail to arrive but the cards do, its possible to activate by calling and just verifying name and address which is written in the envelope that the cards are in? I would think at a minimum, they would also ask for the credit card number used to purchase the gift cards.

I'm also not liking the fact that the tracking numbers given on the Staples confirmation email never work since uses non-traceable mail and also the order number in the slips the gift cards are attached to never match the order number emailed at time of order (harder to trace which cards correspond to which online order when one has multiple orders made on different days).
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:03 pm

What I hear about staples.com, I don't like it. Too much risk, hence not gonna do it.

Those of you who just received the ink bold and need to spend $5K, I believe it would be better to go and buy 200 VGC in Staples for $7 bucks, acquisition cost would be 3.5% but you will also earn 5X on this spending. Considering outside staples acquisition cost would be 1%, additionally you are gaining 2.5% upto 5K and this is assuming 1 UR equals 1 cents which is not the case. Is anyone thinking similarly? Did I miss anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.