Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 22, 17, 4:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is a new thread for 2016. The previous megathread on this topic is here.

The 2017 thread is here.

This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep. Post #132.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)

* FASTEST WAY to liquidate $20 Staples Rebate Visa GCs*
Use for purchase at Costco. The POS at Costco will auto-drain the Staples Visa GC, once you press the green button when the PIN is requested.
Then, swipe the next Staples VGC, press green and repeat! The POS is so fast, you can keep feeding 4 - 5 total $20 cards and the cashier will not even care!
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 16, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

In-store only, Jan. 3 through Jan. 9, $20 Visa gift card rebate when you purchase $300 in Visa gift cards. See the weekly ad, it says limit 1 per customer. Happy hunting.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Feb 9, 17 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 3, 16, 11:39 pm

My local Staples, which has been very reliably stock in the past, had nothing today.
Old Jan 3, 16, 11:58 pm

Looks like for this round, Staples is giving you the choice between a $20 Rebate VGC OR a $20 Staples GC. I think this is good that Staples is giving us the choice between a $20 Rebate VGC or a $20 Staples GC since some people do a lot of shopping at Staples anyways so this helps out. Hopefully Staples keeps giving us this option for the future instead of just dictating what type of rebate it is for each round.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:44 am

bought 4 of the $200 but only got 1 rebate form / id. careless of me didn't check it at the store. anyone knows how to get staples to issue a second rebate id?
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
bought 4 of the $200 but only got 1 rebate form / id. careless of me didn't check it at the store. anyone knows how to get staples to issue a second rebate id?
Break each transaction up into $400 (2 VGC's). They do that no problem for me usually.
Old Jan 4, 16, 8:00 am

too late now that you have purchased it.

next time break it in 2 transactions.
Old Jan 4, 16, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
too late now that you have purchased it.

next time break it in 2 transactions.
meant that i did break it in 2 but only got 1 rebate form / id. will call or check with staples to see how to get a 2nd rebate issued or confirmed. also, saw on DOC that some buyers had posted on tweeter something about not getting all the rebate forms/IDs

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 4, 16 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 4, 16, 9:02 am

meant that i did break it in 2 but only got 1 rebate form / id. will call or check with staples to see how to get a 2nd rebate issued or confirmed. also, saw on DOC that some buyers had posted on tweeter something about not getting all the rebate forms/IDs
if you have 2 separate receipts, just use the id in the bottom to submit online, that's all you need.
Old Jan 4, 16, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
if you have 2 separate receipts, just use the id in the bottom to submit online, that's all you need.
learned that rebate ids were sent to my email inbox, but was strange that only 1 paper rebate form was printed from the register. since GC doesn't earn staples pts, no reason to provide acct or phone # next time
Old Jan 4, 16, 10:58 pm

I had an entertaining experience at Staples today.

I walk in and examine the gift card rack near the front door. After maybe two or three minutes of meticulously searching through each row and column, behind other gift cards, I only find one $100 VGC that already had its back ripped off. I'm about to walk away in defeat but a staples employee shouts at me from behind the counter like a dealer emerging from the shadows of an alley:
"Hey you looking for Visa gift cards?"
"Yeah," I reply as I walk over to him
"How many do you want?"
"Just two" (without telling him the denomination)
"Here ya go, I'm your Visa guy. She'll help ring you up over there" and he hands me two $200 VGCs from this cardboard box that he's holding behind the counter

Lmao it looks like the employees are aware of our tactics of clearing out the store of them.
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:38 am

Bought two sets of 2x$200 VGCs from Staples on Sunday using Ink+. Used two different rewards account numbers. Went home, filled out the rebate for one and submitted. Started up TorGuard to change my IP. Submitted second rebate with same name, different address, different phone number, different email. Today I get an email that one of them has been invalidated for exceeding household limit.

Since I changed my IP and used all different information (except name and credit card) I think they must have caught me because I used the same credit card for both purchases. I doubt they would use name since plenty of people share the same name. The only other option is they used cookies in my browser somehow to catch me. Or my rewards accounts are somehow linked even though they have completely different addresses/phones/emails.

Should I have not entered rewards account numbers when I purchased the gift cards?
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:42 am

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2016)

Anyone else still have their offers in a pending status? They haven't cancelled, but they're just sitting there- Thoughts?
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:46 am

Same.. Charges were pending on my Ink+ then disappeared for a few days and now showing as pending again. Staples still says 'processing'.
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by icemule1 View Post

Should I have not entered rewards account numbers when I purchased the gift cards?
Correct, cookies/browsers/same Ink have nothing to do with it, at least not for me when I do multiple because I do back to back (on same Ink) all the time in the same browser.
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Seems this is related to USA only. That should be specified in original post. I suppose I should have ascertained that from the fine print in the image. Shame on me

Search this Thread