Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a new thread for 2016. The previous megathread on this topic is here.

The 2017 thread is here.

This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep. Post #132.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)

* FASTEST WAY to liquidate $20 Staples Rebate Visa GCs*
Use for purchase at Costco. The POS at Costco will auto-drain the Staples Visa GC, once you press the green button when the PIN is requested.
Then, swipe the next Staples VGC, press green and repeat! The POS is so fast, you can keep feeding 4 - 5 total $20 cards and the cashier will not even care!
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I prefer to receive the cards first and just call to ask rep to activate my cards. There was a time I got the activation codes first and it took more than 5 business days for the cards, I was thinking of what my next action would be if I didn't get the cards. Fortunately, my succeeding orders, the cards and activation codes came on the same day.
Same preference here. I absolutely hate receiving the code first. Then I found out you could call and put a notation in your order that No Phone Activation Allowed and the rep gives you a case reference number. Only with the case reference number one can activate the cards over the phone. This would protect me if the cards were lost and someone called to activate the cards. When your billing address and the shipping address are the same, you are at much greater risk because all they verify you is the billing address. They dont even need the Staple order number. All the information they want to verify you is right on the shipping sheet. The lax of security is astonishing.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:46 pm

I usually receive cards and activation codes on the same day. There was only one instance when they were a day apart. I prefer to call and use their automated system to activate. No need to talk to any rep. Quick and super easy.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Same preference here. I absolutely hate receiving the code first. Then I found out you could call and put a notation in your order that No Phone Activation Allowed and the rep gives you a case reference number. Only with the case reference number one can activate the cards over the phone. This would protect me if the cards were lost and someone called to activate the cards. When your billing address and the shipping address are the same, you are at much greater risk because all they verify you is the billing address. They dont even need the Staple order number. All the information they want to verify you is right on the shipping sheet. The lax of security is astonishing.
Even if you ship the cards to a different address (work), the Envelope addressed also includes the billing address. From my experience last week it showed as follows:

To: Shipping Addy

Activated over the phone with order number (which was on the gift card sheet) and the billing address. GCM has nothing else that can be used to verify identity at the time of the Staples order being placed... Credit card number? Not sure if Staples and GCM are close enough to share that information with each other.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macrophage
Even if you ship the cards to a different address (work), the Envelope addressed also includes the billing address. From my experience last week it showed as follows:

To: Shipping Addy

Activated over the phone with order number (which was on the gift card sheet) and the billing address. GCM has nothing else that can be used to verify identity at the time of the Staples order being placed... Credit card number? Not sure if Staples and GCM are close enough to share that information with each other.
GCM has Staple Order Number. They should use Staple Order Number to verify ID because only the buyer would know the Staple Order Number.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
GCM has Staple Order Number. They should use Staple Order Number to verify ID because only the buyer would know the Staple Order Number.
They asked for the Staples Order number - which is also on the slip that is attached to the gift card.

Still doesn't solve the problem.

Unless that number differs from the actual Staples Order number....
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming that you now need to liquidate Staples gift cards through MO, it seems like Staples GCs have lost their luster -- except for the occasional weeks when you can go the store and get a rebate. There are some AMEX and Citi cards (TY Premier comes to mind) that will pay you 3x at gas stations. A $500 GC at a gas station usually costs $5, so $5 will get you 1500 TY points. To get 1500 UR points at Staples, you have to pay at least $7. I value UR points higher than TY points, but this differential is too great. Also, it's generally easier and more cost-efficient to unload $500 GCs over $200 and $300 GCs.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:25 am

I've ordered cards through staples.com few times and have had no issues so far. The pins arrive a day before the cards.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macrophage
They asked for the Staples Order number - which is also on the slip that is attached to the gift card.

Still doesn't solve the problem.

Unless that number differs from the actual Staples Order number....
It is. That is why I said they should use the Staple Order number that Staple.com generates when you place the order - if you pay attention, it is completely different from the order number appears on the shipment paper.

Giftcard.com has BOTH in its system but the reps almost always just use the order numbers on the shipment docs. This to me, is a bleach of security.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
posts moved

I moved a few posts about gift cards at Office Max to the appropriate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ffice-max.html

You can find them there if you want to continue the discussion.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by iahphx
Assuming that you now need to liquidate Staples gift cards through MO, it seems like Staples GCs have lost their luster -- except for the occasional weeks when you can go the store and get a rebate. There are some AMEX and Citi cards (TY Premier comes to mind) that will pay you 3x at gas stations. A $500 GC at a gas station usually costs $5, so $5 will get you 1500 TY points. To get 1500 UR points at Staples, you have to pay at least $7. I value UR points higher than TY points, but this differential is too great. Also, it's generally easier and more cost-efficient to unload $500 GCs over $200 and $300 GCs.
I have never found a Gas station which hold a VGC with more than 100$ on it & another problem is they do not accept CCs at these stations. I would love to use them up instead of gas cards for 1500$ Discover & 1500$ Freedom until March end.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:57 am

I bought 2 VGCs from staples yesterday, shipped today, and the estimated delivery is March 21...? Are their estimates usually accurate because that's a long time..
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by qwe7791
I bought 2 VGCs from staples yesterday, shipped today, and the estimated delivery is March 21...? Are their estimates usually accurate because that's a long time..
No it usually comes way before that. It usually takes about a week to come in the mail from the day you order it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by iahphx

Everything you mentioned is YMMV and some people do both as they are not mutually exclusive. I have plenty of MO places, and I can do split tender and can unload $1500 (in 5 swipes) of $300 staples in about 90 seconds from the time I tell them the amount when BB took 90 seconds per card minimum. It also included the madness that comes with entering any walmart. None of this takes into account the retention offers of some of these cards as well. The rebates are also nice on Staples when they do them.

-Staples orders are shipping rather quickly since BB sent it in a tailspin which is fine with me
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
No it usually comes way before that. It usually takes about a week to come in the mail from the day you order it.
Ok. One week sounds more reasonable. Thanks ericdabbs!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:13 pm

Question for yall ordering online. When you order from Staples.com, what date does the transaction post as? The day that you ordered or the day they ship? I need to meet a min. spend deadline today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.