Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do you do with gift cards after you load them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to the MS game and I've done about $6k so far with VGC and Serve. What do you do with your gift cards and receipts when you're done loading? I've been keeping all mine just in case, so I have a bag with a dozen cards and receipts in it. But once the money shows up on your Serve account, which is instant, is there any reason to hold onto anything? Do you just shred them when you get home?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: All of them
Hand them out to bums at traffic stops, casually drop them in parking lots and hide to see what would happen, up to your imagination.

You always want to scan and organize all MS related receipts and keep a running tab of all transactions, in case anyone from irs has questions. The physical plastic is useless after you spend it.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Oct 13, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:20 pm

As previously discussed, you may find some answers here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ceipts-ms.html
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm sure you've seen me in parking lots outside your store. I just need a few bucks cash to put gas in my vehicle to get back home to my pregnant girlfriend...... and I can ASSURE you this here plastic has some money on it.

One born every minute!

Seriously... see the old thread. I'm in the camp that fills up an envelope and marks it with the month and year. All the envelopes go in a shoebox. Just in case.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Oct 13, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Just read all of the old thread linked above. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Definitely some good info there. I'll probably just keep holding onto my cards and receipts since it really doesn't cost me anything (time/energy/space).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Liveo
Just read all of the old thread linked above. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
No problem. And welcome to the forum.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:33 pm

*edited.

Last edited by OliverB; Oct 13, 2015 at 10:07 pm
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
I'm new to the game as well and wondering if you could load a Serve account with reloadable gift cards? I think I may have lucked into a pretty sweet deal through a local credit union that's offering prepaid reloadable Visa cards for a low one-time fee with a pretty high max. limit. The cost to reload is only $1 with unlimited (from my understanding) capacity. I'm not sure as of yet whether it codes as a purchase or cash advance, but it can definitely be funded by a credit card. I'm planning to try it out this week, but I'd like to understand what to do with the funds on the card after it's loaded. How would I transfer the balance back to my Visa in order to refuel the "manufactured spending" and then repeat the transaction? Is Serve the best way to go for this? I don't think I'm able to pay off my Chase card directly with the reloadable prepaid card so presumably I'd need to find some sort of buffer or inbetween to feed the card balance through. I'd really appreciate any advice or pointers!
May want to make sure that it can be loaded from a CC not from your CU, a lot of CUs allow for you to use their CC but not others and doesn't always state it before you try.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
I keep them a shoebox. Never know when a chargeback to the gift card may happen for any reason.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:24 pm

* edited.

Last edited by OliverB; Oct 13, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Found a great new use for these when decorating the Christmas tree...

1. Use a hole punch to put a nice, clean hole in every card once it's been drained (you can pick up a nice, strong hole punch at your favorite office supply store - be sure to use your Ink card - be sure to get a good, durable one, some hole punchers designed for paper will break after just a few uses on a plastic card).
2. Using string, colorful yarn, or other string-like material (sparkly Christmas garland works nicely), thread the string through the holes in the cards. Be sure to use knots or other method to space the cards out every inch or two - you need to keep the cards from sliding around.
3. Decorate your holiday shrub with your used gebit card "garland".
4. Sit back with an eggnog, dream of the places you will go, and admire your handiwork.

Happy Holidays all!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Found a great new use for these when decorating the Christmas tree...

1. Use a hole punch to put a nice, clean hole in every card once it's been drained (you can pick up a nice, strong hole punch at your favorite office supply store - be sure to use your Ink card - be sure to get a good, durable one, some hole punchers designed for paper will break after just a few uses on a plastic card).
2. Using string, colorful yarn, or other string-like material (sparkly Christmas garland works nicely), thread the string through the holes in the cards. Be sure to use knots or other method to space the cards out every inch or two - you need to keep the cards from sliding around.
3. Decorate your holiday shrub with your used gebit card "garland".
4. Sit back with an eggnog, dream of the places you will go, and admire your handiwork.

Happy Holidays all!
For many of us, if we tried that, the tree would fall over

... and even a durable hole puncher would wear out. Heh heh.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by JamieDee78
I keep them a shoebox. Never know when a chargeback to the gift card may happen for any reason.
Absolutely, I still have cards from 2014. You never know.
Waste of plastic, though...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:22 am

My buddy plays the guitar and has a pick punch so I give the used gc to him and he can punch out 5 guitar picks from one card.

Last edited by stuntgoats; Jan 2, 2016 at 8:12 am Reason: -
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:26 am

The problem with keeping used up cards is, you keep doubting whether you have unloaded it or not and might end up checking the balance. If it is used, I would toss up after sometime, of course keep the receipt , unless you are very good at organizing stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.