FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   What do you do with gift cards after you load them? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1716458-what-do-you-do-gift-cards-after-you-load-them.html)

Liveo Oct 13, 15 1:33 pm

What do you do with gift cards after you load them?
 
I'm new to the MS game and I've done about $6k so far with VGC and Serve. What do you do with your gift cards and receipts when you're done loading? I've been keeping all mine just in case, so I have a bag with a dozen cards and receipts in it. But once the money shows up on your Serve account, which is instant, is there any reason to hold onto anything? Do you just shred them when you get home?

littlewinglet Oct 13, 15 1:43 pm

Hand them out to bums at traffic stops, casually drop them in parking lots and hide to see what would happen, up to your imagination.

You always want to scan and organize all MS related receipts and keep a running tab of all transactions, in case anyone from irs has questions. The physical plastic is useless after you spend it.

Flyby01 Oct 13, 15 2:20 pm

As previously discussed, you may find some answers here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ceipts-ms.html

ElPresidente Oct 13, 15 2:24 pm

I'm sure you've seen me in parking lots outside your store. I just need a few bucks cash to put gas in my vehicle to get back home to my pregnant girlfriend...... and I can ASSURE you this here plastic has some money on it.

One born every minute!

Seriously... see the old thread. I'm in the camp that fills up an envelope and marks it with the month and year. All the envelopes go in a shoebox. Just in case.

Liveo Oct 13, 15 3:10 pm

Just read all of the old thread linked above. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Definitely some good info there. I'll probably just keep holding onto my cards and receipts since it really doesn't cost me anything (time/energy/space).

Flyby01 Oct 13, 15 3:18 pm


Originally Posted by Liveo (Post 25559437)
Just read all of the old thread linked above. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

No problem. And welcome to the forum.

OliverB Oct 13, 15 3:33 pm

*edited.

mastermind85 Oct 13, 15 3:51 pm


Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 25559564)
I'm new to the game as well and wondering if you could load a Serve account with reloadable gift cards? I think I may have lucked into a pretty sweet deal through a local credit union that's offering prepaid reloadable Visa cards for a low one-time fee with a pretty high max. limit. The cost to reload is only $1 with unlimited (from my understanding) capacity. I'm not sure as of yet whether it codes as a purchase or cash advance, but it can definitely be funded by a credit card. I'm planning to try it out this week, but I'd like to understand what to do with the funds on the card after it's loaded. How would I transfer the balance back to my Visa in order to refuel the "manufactured spending" and then repeat the transaction? Is Serve the best way to go for this? I don't think I'm able to pay off my Chase card directly with the reloadable prepaid card so presumably I'd need to find some sort of buffer or inbetween to feed the card balance through. I'd really appreciate any advice or pointers!

May want to make sure that it can be loaded from a CC not from your CU, a lot of CUs allow for you to use their CC but not others and doesn't always state it before you try.

JamieDee78 Oct 13, 15 4:09 pm

I keep them a shoebox. Never know when a chargeback to the gift card may happen for any reason.

OliverB Oct 13, 15 4:24 pm

* edited.

nwflyboy Dec 29, 15 2:59 pm

Found a great new use for these when decorating the Christmas tree...

1. Use a hole punch to put a nice, clean hole in every card once it's been drained (you can pick up a nice, strong hole punch at your favorite office supply store - be sure to use your Ink card - be sure to get a good, durable one, some hole punchers designed for paper will break after just a few uses on a plastic card).
2. Using string, colorful yarn, or other string-like material (sparkly Christmas garland works nicely), thread the string through the holes in the cards. Be sure to use knots or other method to space the cards out every inch or two - you need to keep the cards from sliding around.
3. Decorate your holiday shrub with your used gebit card "garland".
4. Sit back with an eggnog, dream of the places you will go, and admire your handiwork.

Happy Holidays all!

markr33 Dec 30, 15 12:08 am


Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 25931825)
Found a great new use for these when decorating the Christmas tree...

1. Use a hole punch to put a nice, clean hole in every card once it's been drained (you can pick up a nice, strong hole punch at your favorite office supply store - be sure to use your Ink card - be sure to get a good, durable one, some hole punchers designed for paper will break after just a few uses on a plastic card).
2. Using string, colorful yarn, or other string-like material (sparkly Christmas garland works nicely), thread the string through the holes in the cards. Be sure to use knots or other method to space the cards out every inch or two - you need to keep the cards from sliding around.
3. Decorate your holiday shrub with your used gebit card "garland".
4. Sit back with an eggnog, dream of the places you will go, and admire your handiwork.

Happy Holidays all!

For many of us, if we tried that, the tree would fall over :)

... and even a durable hole puncher would wear out. Heh heh.

weezl Dec 30, 15 12:38 am


Originally Posted by JamieDee78 (Post 25559770)
I keep them a shoebox. Never know when a chargeback to the gift card may happen for any reason.

Absolutely, I still have cards from 2014. You never know.
Waste of plastic, though...

stuntgoats Dec 31, 15 8:22 am

My buddy plays the guitar and has a pick punch so I give the used gc to him and he can punch out 5 guitar picks from one card.

nfpa70e Dec 31, 15 11:26 am

The problem with keeping used up cards is, you keep doubting whether you have unloaded it or not and might end up checking the balance. If it is used, I would toss up after sometime, of course keep the receipt , unless you are very good at organizing stuff.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.