FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

jlienert Dec 2, 2015 7:45 am

Originally Posted by AnalystGuy (Post 25795182)
There is an argument to be made that Discover is committing a UDAPP (Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices) violation because a reasonable customer would not expect to have to prove they did not purchase a gift card.
That being said, unless there is a high false positive rate (Discover incorrectly tagging purchases) I don't think there will be any action. CFPB is generally data driven in looking at practices that actually harm consumers or where they can right a specific wrong. I don't think this will qualify.

I have no idea how they operate, but I do have the feeling that there are a substantial number of false positives here. I have gotten 8 e-mails, and one of them was a false-positive. Granted, it is a small sample size, but even if the true false-positive rate is 1/10 of that, it is still more than 1% of the e-mails they send out. And of course people are probably using this for larger ticket items, which is what is likely to cause a red-flag in the first place. So I would not at all be surprised if there are enough false-positives to warrant a claim.

jk2 Dec 2, 2015 8:17 am

Any success paying Fios TV bill in Verizon store using AP recently?

ckgunn01 Dec 2, 2015 2:39 pm

I can't get the card because I got the it card 11 months ago. My wife wants no part of Apple Pay. If I sign her up for the card, can I add her card to my Apple Pay or should I add myself as authorized user and add myself to Apple Pay? Buying a big screen tv from Best Buy and don't want to miss out on 20% cash back. Wiki says only one per account, but doesn't say the 1 can't be the AU.

Chelski Dec 2, 2015 2:48 pm

YMMV.

susieling Dec 2, 2015 5:33 pm

any denial letter for $200 VGC (or any other small value GC) bought at Bestbuy?

livestrongforever Dec 2, 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by susieling (Post 25803964)

I bought a bestbuy giftcard for $200 in early October and never got an email about it while my VGC purchases before and after all received Email. So you should be ok.

MileageGoblin Dec 2, 2015 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever (Post 25804008)
I bought a bestbuy giftcard for $200 in early October and never got an email about it while my VGC purchases before and after all received Email. So you should be ok.

But, but, I thought Discover could tell when we bought GCs!! :D

atwnsw2 Dec 2, 2015 6:51 pm

I went to Verizon store to pay for the 2 iphones ($750 each) which I already bought from Verizon a few days ago using their DPP (device payment plan). For reasons unknown the terminal wouldn't accept payment via applepay. After speaking with Discover for 1 hour they were pretty much useless and aware of the problem. They said that it was an Apple issue and they wouldn't manually input the 10% cashback.

Any suggestions?

Falimz Dec 2, 2015 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jlienert (Post 25800972)
I have no idea how they operate, but I do have the feeling that there are a substantial number of false positives here. I have gotten 8 e-mails, and one of them was a false-positive. Granted, it is a small sample size, but even if the true false-positive rate is 1/10 of that, it is still more than 1% of the e-mails they send out. And of course people are probably using this for larger ticket items, which is what is likely to cause a red-flag in the first place. So I would not at all be surprised if there are enough false-positives to warrant a claim.

They are most likely just guessing. Large purchases at stores known to sell VGCs are most likely to be flagged. I'm sure some in particular like Walgreens are most likely to receive scrutiny.

Chelski Dec 2, 2015 9:15 pm

YMMV.

babycakes01 Dec 3, 2015 5:59 am

Originally Posted by susieling (Post 25803964)

Yes. Purchased two for odd amounts and it was flagged.

JL100 Dec 3, 2015 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 25804921)
But but but... Discover previously told me that they have a proprietary method to determine gift card purchases. THey also said they will not tell the public of their method. They even said they will pay out all AP bonus after getting the receipt and confirming no GC was purchased.

As you are well aware and a few other FTers I'm going to share a little secret... their proprietary method is to scare customers and demand their receipts even though their terms never required receipts.

Someone in Discover marketing should be fired over this disaster along with some of their lawyers.

Agree very frustrating - all they had to do was make the limit $3,000 or $5,000 and allow everything. Then they would have a lot of happy customers and be able to keep their expenses to a level where they wouldn't have to try and back off of their promotion. Very poorly thought out - one should never assume "oh well only 5% will max out the promotion" (or whatever they thought).

Falimz Dec 3, 2015 8:00 am

Statement closed yesterday. Received my expected apple pay bonus through 10/16 (10/17 transaction was not included). This included a $1k courtesy allowance and 2 other legit transactions.

JHermz Dec 3, 2015 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Falimz (Post 25806633)
Statement closed yesterday. Received my expected apple pay bonus through 10/16 (10/17 transaction was not included). This included a $1k courtesy allowance and 2 other legit transactions.

Same goes for me - AP paid through transaction on 10/15. (Next one was a few days later).

MileageGoblin Dec 3, 2015 10:44 am

Originally Posted by JHermz (Post 25807410)
Same goes for me - AP paid through transaction on 10/15. (Next one was a few days later).

Same here as well. Only my WG didn't get paid. I'm debating not even making a stink about the legit spend in the WG transactions and just making a big pre-pay to a certain telecommunications company..... If they ask for receipts on my grocery spend, then I'm going to really be p#####d off (yes I know some people have gotten them).