FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

atwnsw2 Nov 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I have a hypothetical question.

Verizon offers Device Payment Plan (DPP) which is essentially financing at 0% interest with the ability to pay off the line at any time. I bought an iphone 64GB yesterday with the DPP plan so at this point Verizon only charged my credit card for taxes which they collect up front.

Therefore I now owe Verizon $749 for the phone but there is no charge on my Discover card for this purchase since DPP would bill me monthly. If I pay the lump sum tomorrow for the phones, could I then submit a price protection claim if I can find it for less during the next 90 days?

Technically, I bought the phone on 11/28 when I signed the DPP contract but there is no charge on Discover. Since they require a receipt for proof of purchase, what could/would I provide?

Hisma Nov 29, 2015 6:15 pm

I got the infamous one time courtesy e-mail from discover for apple pay. Good news is that it was on a purchase of $2500 in gcs, so I still managed to make out pretty good on this deal.

isriam Nov 29, 2015 6:23 pm

I just earned 250+ cash back but haven't calculated it out yet.

chaser123 Nov 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25784432)
Strange that they only gave you 10% up to 10/2, even though that wasn't statement closing date.

Not strange, Terms say their will be a lag in posting.

DaveInLA Nov 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123 (Post 25788137)
Not strange, Terms say their will be a lag in posting.

I meant mid-statement

Chelski Nov 29, 2015 10:16 pm

YMMV.

DARWINISM Nov 29, 2015 11:54 pm

This weekend was a perfect way to complete this offer by buying and liquidating the Black Friday sales. No worries about being denied cashback.

isriam Nov 30, 2015 8:58 am

Originally Posted by DARWINISM (Post 25788870)
This weekend was a perfect way to complete this offer by buying and liquidating the Black Friday sales. No worries about being denied cashback.

As long as you keep your receipt.

MileageGoblin Nov 30, 2015 11:30 am

Originally Posted by DARWINISM (Post 25788870)

Perfect? :rolleyes: I'd rather spend limited time during the holidays with family and friends than the mobs.

mittenfingerz Nov 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25791312)
Perfect? :rolleyes: I'd rather spend limited time during the holidays with family and friends than the mobs.

Maybe he was able to get his shopping done and spend time with his family. Or maybe he's using this extra cash back to get something for his family. Either way, sounds like he's happy, why rain on his parade?

pduan87 Nov 30, 2015 2:43 pm

So instead of commenting about where Apple Pay works/doesn't work or complaining about how unfair this is, I actually have some information that I hope you all will find useful.

I sent in a complaint to CFPB (http://www.consumerfinance.gov/) basically outlining several things:

1. The terms of the promotion
2. How the gift card exclusion was added several days later
3. Discover is now blanket rejecting purchases above a certain amount
4. Discover is requiring customers to retain receipts
5. Discover does not have the requirement to keep receipts in the T&S
6. This is a blatant attack on consumer privacy
7. The burden of proof is shifted to the consumer, instead of the credit card company
8. If Discover wants to exclude gift cards, they need to do it accurately and automatically, without the need of receipts being sent into Discover.

I told them the desired resolution is that if they want to exclude gift card purchases, they need to be able to do it automatically and accurately. The burden of proof does not fall on the consumer and we do not need to keep receipts.

If they are unable to do this, then they should honor all Apple Pay purchases with the bonus 10%.

I received a call from their "executive office" today and they have a person now investigating the case. I would highly recommend everyone open up cases with CFPB and make this a battle with Discover.

DARWINISM Nov 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25791312)

Discover card holders don't have to deal with black friday crowds. Think outside the box.

liaozhongchao Nov 30, 2015 3:01 pm

My 10% AP bonus showed up on my statement closed on 11/27. The 10% bonus was paid up to 10/2, including one $50 Staples gift card purchase on 10/1 which was flagged earlier as "one-time courtesy". Both my grocery store gift card purchases($100 Whole Foods gift card mixed with other groceries at Whole Foods and $50 Sprouts gift card mixed with other groceries at Sprouts) before 10/2 are given the 10% bonus.

MileageGoblin Nov 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 25791687)
Maybe he was able to get his shopping done and spend time with his family. Or maybe he's using this extra cash back to get something for his family. Either way, sounds like he's happy, why rain on his parade?

Rain on his parade? I just said I would rather spend my holidays NOT MSing. To each their own. A perfect way to MS would be never having to leave the house and/or one store visit and then being able to liquidate all ones' GCs in one store visit!

ParkALot Nov 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by pduan87 (Post 25792363)
So instead of commenting about where Apple Pay works/doesn't work or complaining about how unfair this is, I actually have some information that I hope you all will find useful.

I sent in a complaint to CFPB (http://www.consumerfinance.gov/) basically outlining several things:

1. The terms of the promotion
2. How the gift card exclusion was added several days later
3. Discover is now blanket rejecting purchases above a certain amount
4. Discover is requiring customers to retain receipts
5. Discover does not have the requirement to keep receipts in the T&S
6. This is a blatant attack on consumer privacy
7. The burden of proof is shifted to the consumer, instead of the credit card company
8. If Discover wants to exclude gift cards, they need to do it accurately and automatically, without the need of receipts being sent into Discover.

I told them the desired resolution is that if they want to exclude gift card purchases, they need to be able to do it automatically and accurately. The burden of proof does not fall on the consumer and we do not need to keep receipts.

If they are unable to do this, then they should honor all Apple Pay purchases with the bonus 10%.

I received a call from their "executive office" today and they have a person now investigating the case. I would highly recommend everyone open up cases with CFPB and make this a battle with Discover.

Great work pduan. Let us know how it goes.