FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

tmiw Dec 6, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by mithrin (Post 25823723)
Or they will notice how a large % of Discover ApplePay purchases are being disputed, and get rid of ApplePay entirely, or just disable Discover Card on ApplePay.

I hope Apple Pay doesn't stop being accepted altogether. Chip is crazy slow at most every store using it, possibly even relative to those in other countries. I can see Discover being turned off if it becomes a big enough problem though.

Speaking of "big enough", have there been reports outside FT of Discover pulling this stuff? I'm curious as to how big the problem actually is.

Lumpylump76 Dec 6, 2015 10:41 pm

You are seeing a tempest in a teapot. When I was at the TMobile store, the manager mentioned that rarely people paid using Apple Pay. At least at two other stores, including a drugstore, the cashier was seeing Apple Pay used for the first time.

tmiw Dec 6, 2015 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76 (Post 25824064)
You are seeing a tempest in a teapot. When I was at the TMobile store, the manager mentioned that rarely people paid using Apple Pay. At least at two other stores, including a drugstore, the cashier was seeing Apple Pay used for the first time.

I hear it gets way more use in apps than in stores. Panera for instance supposedly has 20% of their app purchases using Apple Pay vs. only 1-2% of in-store purchases using it. Personally, I don't attempt to pay with my phone if there's no NFC/Apple Pay logo or if the terminal is positioned such that using it would be impossible (which is a stupidly large number of stores supposedly listed on MasterCard's site, unfortunately).

elementofice Dec 7, 2015 2:17 am

not sure if anyone else has also experienced this, but my discover it statement usually generates on the 24th of the month, but my 11/24 statement still has not been generated. The most recent statement was as of 10/24. I just messaged discover about this and am waiting to hear back.

CashbackMac Dec 7, 2015 2:37 am

First time poster, but thought I would add a data point from my experience to repay what I've learned from the community.

I have used Discover+ApplePay many times so far, received a "shame on you but we'll give you a courtesy" email for a RiteAid $200 gift card purchase, and a "shame on you and denied without receipt" Staples $500 gift card purchase. But given the cash back recently posted on my account several other large gift card purchases thereafter also made it (but from different retailers). The amounts of those purchases would be fairly obvious too. Discover really has no clue on gift card purchases and decided to use Walgreens, Staples, Rite Aid (and maybe Winn Dixie) purchase denials as scare tactics for MS'ers, and two to three month payout delays to leave doubt until the promo is over (which it just about is).

I sure would like to know who at Discover thought the $10K limit was a better idea than just $1K-$5K. It seems like it would have eliminated a lot of heartburn on their part, their customers, and any third parties (CFPB, lawyers) who now may get involved due to their marketing incompetence. This being my first experience with Discover I am unlikely to continue doing business with them once I receive my double bonus next year.

CashbackMac Dec 7, 2015 2:55 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 25824037)
I hope Apple Pay doesn't stop being accepted altogether. Chip is crazy slow at most every store using it, possibly even relative to those in other countries. I can see Discover being turned off if it becomes a big enough problem though.

Speaking of "big enough", have there been reports outside FT of Discover pulling this stuff? I'm curious as to how big the problem actually is.

ApplePay and the Android flavors are here to say, despite what the luddites may spew. It's taking longer than it should due to retailer and bank stalwarts not wanting to cede the customer relationship to technology giants but it is going to happen, I have zero doubt.

There have been just as many scathing reports of Discover's incompetence and borderline fraud on Slickdeals. Regarding how many "Joe Consumers" have been caught in this dragnet, hard to say how much damage Discover decided to take to their reputation. I'm sure those people will tolerate this game of receipt submission even less so than seasoned MS'ers.

mattslot Dec 7, 2015 9:01 am

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub (Post 25823636)
In case people are interested.. I've retained an attorney in this matter.

Let us know how that works for you.

Churnman Dec 7, 2015 9:17 am

I'm amazed that some would hire an attorney about this. I can see an attorney taking the case with no upfront money in hopes it will become a class action and therefore receiving fees at the end. Not to be the devil's advocate, but we must remember reward programs can change at anytime and the owner of the reward program has reserved the right to change it. I'm not a judge, therefore I realize I have no say in the outcome of anyone's case. But, it's a shame that some would go to such lengths to discourage any future promotions from cc issuers. They have shortsightedness, while others like myself prefer to have a long term view and welcome reward promotions instead rather than punishing cc issuers.

MileageGoblin Dec 7, 2015 9:51 am

Instead of hiring an attorney, I think the BBB and CFPB complaint method is more viable. Discover covets its A+ BBB rating. Getting that knocked down to A or lower would get executives involved.

tmiw Dec 7, 2015 10:37 am

Originally Posted by CashbackMac (Post 25824652)
ApplePay and the Android flavors are here to say, despite what the luddites may spew. It's taking longer than it should due to retailer and bank stalwarts not wanting to cede the customer relationship to technology giants but it is going to happen, I have zero doubt.

There have been just as many scathing reports of Discover's incompetence and borderline fraud on Slickdeals. Regarding how many "Joe Consumers" have been caught in this dragnet, hard to say how much damage Discover decided to take to their reputation. I'm sure those people will tolerate this game of receipt submission even less so than seasoned MS'ers.

It's nearly 100% the retailers; banks haven't been nearly as resistant. If it's not their membership in MCX or similar, it's the horrible to non-existent training on their new hardware, or simply "we want to keep tracking people without their consent". It will be years before it's anywhere near accepted everywhere, if it ever does.

On the customer side, I'm not sure there'll be that enough improvement in speed and usability over chip once the new hardware they're installing is fully optimized. In other countries (and even in a few US stores like Walgreens), chip only takes 3 seconds at most vs. 1 second for NFC. Plus since our new cards don't need a PIN and signature isn't even asked for the vast majority of the time already, it can't fall back on being able to suppress signature/PIN prompts like contactless has been able to in other countries.

In short, ____ Pay is/will be a success in that it will cause Americans to use contactless payments at all, not that it'll cause people to stop using cards altogether.

nmp0 Dec 7, 2015 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25826092)
Instead of hiring an attorney, I think the BBB and CFPB complaint method is more viable. Discover covets its A+ BBB rating. Getting that knocked down to A or lower would get executives involved.

They also list being rated #1 by JD Power for the last two years. I would be very surprised to see a third year after this.

rdcrds Dec 7, 2015 4:35 pm

ill post there "new" reply when you tell them that your receipt has non gift cards in it.

thank you for contacting Discover. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

If you contend that your purchase did not include a gift card or a portion of your purchase qualifies per the terms of the 10% Cashback BonusŪ promotion, let us know with supporting documentation in the next 21 days. Documentation can include store receipts or invoices, but cannot include your Discover card statement. You can send documentation via email to [email protected].

If you no longer have a copy of your receipt, please contact the merchant to get a copy. If this is not possible, we are happy to contact the merchant on your behalf to obtain a copy of your receipt.

Please note we will destroy any supporting documentation you send in after confirming a gift card was not purchased in that transaction. Feel free to strike out the description of any confidential purchase information while leaving the dollar amount intact when submitting your supporting documentation.

I wonder what will happen if you black out the VGC?

ParkALot Dec 7, 2015 4:45 pm

So whats the consensus on the % of GC purchases (post Sept 18 T&C change) being caught vs being let through? 10%? 50%? 100%

mattslot Dec 7, 2015 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 25828163)
I wonder what will happen if you black out the VGC?

Then you won't get the 10% for that part of the purchase.

devnull Dec 7, 2015 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 25828163)
Please note we will destroy any supporting documentation you send in after confirming a gift card was not purchased in that transaction.

That implies they are disqualifying the entire transaction, including any non-gift-card portion, if a gift card was included in the transaction. I don't see how they can take that position based on the promotion terms (and it's inconsistent with other communication from them).

It's like Discover is actively trying to screw this up and damage their reputation further.