Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

UK-specific advice sought re Amex and "manufactured spend"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Firstly, many thanks for reading.

If anyone might have any advice/be able to suggest ways — from a UK perspective — to "manufacture spend" via an Amex Gold charge card for the following liabilities I would be immensely appreciative:

• £20k Capital Gains Tax bill
• 2 x (ongoing) monthly mortgages of £641 and £633 respectively

Essentially, I wondered in the UK whether there was a way to pay your monthly mortgage payments — and also a looming £20k Capital Gains Tax bill — via an Amex credit card? I believe that there are methods amenable to this end in the USA — via "Evolve" and, I think, "Smartpay" — where you can use your Amex card to fund Evolve/Smartpay accounts and then from there settle your mortgage payments. But is anything like that available in the UK?

Any helpful suggestions welcomed! It's just that, with these large outflows of money, I suspect I must be missing a trick in terms of earning Airmiles (in my case, Virgin Atlantic ones) through settling these bills.

Again, many thanks for reading!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since you are specifically seeking guidance on manufactured spending, you will likely get better feedback here in the dedicated Manufactured Spending forum.

Good luck.

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you, aBroadAbroad.

Best, Simon
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:39 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Hi Scoob72, welcome to Flyertalk. We have a full thread on Manufactured Spending in the UK, which is located at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-spend-uk.html Please look over it for ideas, and ask questions in that thread if you need further guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.