Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

A local grocery store recorded my ID and SSN when I bought VGCs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

I went to a local grocery store and bought $5K VGCs today, and the lady there asked for my ID and also my SSN and recorded them on a piece of paper, and they she is going to report (not sure where). I was not comfortable to give her my SSN, so I gave a wrong one. But this experience made me feel bad, and probably I will not go back to the store again.
They have a lot of VGCs on rack while other stores have no or few, so probably this is the reason other MS-ers nearby do not go to this store.

what I am not sure is, shall I deny to give my SSN in this situation?
and who will she report to?
I am using my credit card to buy VGCs and it is totally legal; probably she worried too much.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: HHonors: Gold Hyatt: Platinum
Maybe it's because buying $5k worth of VGCs isn't something that people normally do.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:08 pm

If it's a "Suspicious Activity Report," it's actually illegal for her to let you know about it.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by nkp46
I went to a local grocery store and bought $5K VGCs today, and the lady there asked for my ID and also my SSN and recorded them on a piece of paper, and they she is going to report (not sure where). I was not comfortable to give her my SSN, so I gave a wrong one. But this experience made me feel bad, and probably I will not go back to the store again.
They have a lot of VGCs on rack while other stores have no or few, so probably this is the reason other MS-ers nearby do not go to this store.

what I am not sure is, shall I deny to give my SSN in this situation?
and who will she report to?
I am using my credit card to buy VGCs and it is totally legal; probably she worried too much.
Giving falsified information did not help your case either. You better hope nobody out there has that SSN. Its better to deny them SSN information and walk away.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Giving falsified information did not help your case either. You better hope nobody out there has that SSN. Its better to deny them SSN information and walk away.
thats a damn shame, these clerks always write down the wrong number. I say one, they write down seven, and so on..
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
asking for SSN is really anonying, and I do not want my SSN and ID info to be recorded on the page piece of paper. it is not secure at all
I suspect they have the authority to ask for SSN. Do they?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
If it's a "Suspicious Activity Report," it's actually illegal for her to let you know about it.
In the beginning she told me she will report. and later when the manager came, she said to the manager that she collected all info (ID SSN) and the manager said back to her "let's find out who he is". What a scary conversation.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
SAR for sure. Lie and some investigative agency gets involved.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:16 pm
jk2

I don't understand why do you want to buy a $5K? This is really too much for grocery store. Unless they know you, what you do, it is a very bad practice to start with extra large purchases. I usually do $500-$1K to see how cashiers react and then repeat. Maximum I did was $2K, no more.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I don't understand why do you want to buy a $5K? This is really too much for grocery store. Unless they know you, what you do, it is a very bad practice to start with extra large purchases. I usually do $500-$1K to see how cashiers react and then repeat. Maximum I did was $2K, no more.
go big or go home

looks like mr. nkpatel is going to jail.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Why would you give a fake SSN, first of all? Instead of doing that, you should nicely said you don't feel comfortable doing so. If she denies to sell you the VGC in that case, then just thank them for the assistance, don't purchase, walk away and go to another store.

They don't know WHY you're buying all the VGC, so as an employee they have to think something is up. Not everyone just go to a grocery store and buys 5k worth of gift cards. I mean to put myself in their shoes, it has "Potential Fraudulent Activity" all over it.

There's a lot of fraud going on out there. Think of putting yourself in their shoes before making those kinds transactions. It about using common sense.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Often1
SAR for sure. Lie and some investigative agency gets involved.
Yep. You're in deep doo doo now, OP.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by thehustla
Why would you give a fake SSN, first of all? Instead of doing that, you should nicely said you don't feel comfortable doing so. If she denies to sell you the VGC in that case, then just thank them for the assistance, don't purchase, walk away and go to another store.

They don't know WHY you're buying all the VGC, so as an employee they have to think something is up. Not everyone just go to a grocery store and buys 5k worth of gift cards. I mean to put myself in their shoes, it has "Potential Fraudulent Activity" all over it.

There's a lot of fraud going on out there. Think of putting yourself in their shoes before making those kinds transactions. It about using common sense.

I can understand large quantities of MOs requiring info in case of fraud or ML going on, but what kind of fraud can possibly happen when buying GCs with a credit card with your name on it? Lots of businesses buy GCs to give out as promotions or employee bonuses.

They should worry more about stolen CC being used, but that's why they verify ID first and these cards are non-refundable. No need to collect SSN at all.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by nkp46
asking for SSN is really anonying, and I do not want my SSN and ID info to be recorded on the page piece of paper. it is not secure at all
I suspect they have the authority to ask for SSN. Do they?
Trust me, I feel the same way as you do. However I don't feel right making up a SSN because what happens if it is a SSN that is a real person. Just imagine if someone was required to put a fake SSN and it somehow ended up being your SSN. Would you appreciate that? I think not.

My point is next time just walk away and come back later with a different cashier. If that store/company has a policy that if you buy at least $5K you need to provide SSN, then just buy less to get around that. Don't feel like you are trapped having to provide SSN because in reality they are just protecting themselves from such a large purchase. Nobody is forcing you to buy $5K and sometimes there are consequences for buying such a large quantity of VGCs so just adapt.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Mar 7, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I like to use this SSN: http://factually.gizmodo.com/the-mos...s-0-1612270289

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.