Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Thought I would start a thread to ask for any UK ways of manufacturing spend... I will attempt to keep this updated, but please do PM me with new ways to add to this list if I am being remiss!

So far:

1) UK Travellers cheques from amex money exchange (British Airways Foreign Exchange). This currently has a 1.5% fee but counts as spend rather than cash advance on Amex cards. Do note, however, that not all transactions succeed which may, or may not, be due separate limit on the card from Amex.

2) Range Prepaid cards. Provided by large retail chain ("The Range"). You top up at the tills buying vouchers (specifically ask for prepaid card top up vouchers). Card costs 8. No load fee on the vouchers, they DO NOT take Amex. 4 cost to transfer to bank. Maximum 6,500 on the card. Seems to be per annum.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.

Last edited by Jamjaw; Mar 20, 2013 at 2:51 am
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
(UK) post office one4all gift card ?

I wonder if there is a possibility to work this card. Its a non-reloadable card, bought either over the counter for free, or online for 99p. Takes paypal (I assume thats online only), and so sounds like effectively any card can be used to load it via paypal.

17,000 outlets take it, big known shops like boots,argos,currys,halfords, house of frazer, also places like hotelhippo.

Thing is, its non-reloadable, so I'm wondering what happens if you buy something and then take it back. How do they handle the refund ? terms of the card say that the retailer will normally refund with their own card/voucher, but perhaps there are some there that will refund otherwise ?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/one4all-gift-card
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The card runs as a Visa Electron. The one time I have ever used one and gotten a refund, which was from Argos, they handed me cash.

You cannot purchase a Oneforall gift card with Amex as far as I know, although Visa and MasterCard are accepted. Therefore, other than faffing about with returns (and hoping the retailer gives you cash), there isn't really much of an opportunity here.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Thumbs up for the term "faffing" ^
deby likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by stifle
You cannot purchase a Oneforall gift card with Amex as far as I know, .
Clearly you didn't fully read my 1st post
Originally Posted by tangey
Takes paypal
My hope would be that some of the online options like hotelhippo, might end up paying back to a bank account should you booking a flexible hotel and then cancel ?

Last edited by tangey; Feb 25, 2013 at 8:36 am
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Executive club, Membership rewards, Diners Club, El Al Matmid.
Clearly you didn't fully read my 1st post

My hope would be that some of the online options like hotelhippo, might end up paying back to a bank account should you booking a flexible hotel and then cancel ?
You do know that amex block certain sites from being able to accept their cards via paypal? Have you tried it...?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by bumblebees
You do know that amex block certain sites from being able to accept their cards via paypal?
Yes.
I have no reason to suggest that they would block a national institution like the GB post office from access.

Have you tried it...?
Yes, all but the final confirmation, which I surely won't do until I know if I have a use for these cards. Have you any reason whatsoever to think they might be blocked ?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:28 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... hotelhippo, might end up paying back to a bank account should you booking a flexible hotel and then cancel ?
I realize this is only an example, but it doesn't look promising:

All bookings are paid for at the time of booking in full....All reservations once booked, and only outside of 7 days prior to the arrival date will be entitled to a 24hr cooling off period. Following the 24HR cooling off period all reservations will be subject to a minimum cancellation and administration charge of 10% of the booking total if cancelled at anytime up to 7 days prior to the arrival date. Cancellation within 7 - 0 days of the arrival date (00.01 am Hotels Local time) will be subject to a 100% of the booking total cancellation charge, this is set by our arrangements with the hotels head offices and our cancellation policy is non negotiable....We can only refund the card used to make the original booking.
...and they do issue their own vouchers:

http://www.hotelvouchershop.com/Hote...1/default.aspx
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I realize this is only an example, but it doesn't look promising:

...and they do issue their own vouchers:

http://www.hotelvouchershop.com/Hote...1/default.aspx
Yeah, we'll I assume their t&c doesn't provide for the use of a nonreloadsble card, such as this card is. I am not sure what the law is in forcing customers to take what amounts to a credit note, on a fully flexible hotel booking that is subsequently cancelled.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
Hi all,

I am about to pay for a group golfing holiday (6k) and the supplier only accepts payments via Visa (2% charge) or into his bank account. All of my golfing companions have paid me and the money is in my bank account. Can anyone come up with a way where i can use my Amex card to some how get this as spend?

Thanks,

Andy
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheAberdonian
Hi all,

I am about to pay for a group golfing holiday (6k) and the supplier only accepts payments via Visa (2% charge) or into his bank account. All of my golfing companions have paid me and the money is in my bank account. Can anyone come up with a way where i can use my Amex card to some how get this as spend?

Thanks,

Andy
Will he accept paypal (worth asking him, and if he does he may charge). Other than that you could try travellers cheques above, but that is risky!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
Alas he does not accept Paypal. As i am now officially addicted to maximising spend, I am loathe to just pay him into his account without first looking at all the options.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
I'm going to open this up as I have used this method to my intended aim now. Range Prepaid cards. Provided by large retail chain. You top up at the tills buying vouchers. No load fee on the vouchers, they take Amex. Do what you want with this information!

http://www.therangeprepaidmastercard.co.uk/tsandcs.php
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
I'm going to open this up as I have used this method to my intended aim now. Range Prepaid cards. Provided by large retail chain. You top up at the tills buying vouchers. No load fee on the vouchers, they take Amex. Do what you want with this information!

http://www.therangeprepaidmastercard.co.uk/tsandcs.php
Was the large retail chain founded by the husband of Tessa Cohen?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Was the large retail chain founded by the husband of Tessa Cohen?
No, I think you're barking up the wrong tree there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.