Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:49 am
jk2

I used United Explorer card yesterday and today - only today's charge is taken from CA balance. Let's see how it posts.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
anyone experiencing this on a bank other than chase? Is it also possible that its acting like the buxx card which initially shows as CA on some cards but posts as purchase?
Actually I did!
When using my 2 TD Buxx (still have some dollars in there ) to load both a Serve and a Bluebird I got the message vinctong got when using his CC:

"You have the following errors.
We're sorry, your card issuer declined this transaction. Please call the number on the back of your Visa card for additional information."

Let's see how this unfolds....
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:53 am

I tried a Comenity Bank card at $100 load and got the "We're sorry, your card..." error. I do not have CA set at $0.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:56 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
and now my CA limit on my Chase card has decreased by this mornings load amount...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
and now my CA limit on my Chase card has decreased by this mornings load amount...
CSP?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
Actually I did!
When using my 2 TD Buxx (still have some dollars in there ) to load both a Serve and a Bluebird I got the message vinctong got when using his CC:

"You have the following errors.
We're sorry, your card issuer declined this transaction. Please call the number on the back of your Visa card for additional information."

Let's see how this unfolds....
Good data, was more looking for Citi/barclays/usbank, but at least we know its not a chase thing.... Will see how this plays out...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:11 pm

Can you set the cash advance limit to zero online, or do you have to call in?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:13 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by JayTheBillionaire
CSP?
No my BA card... only need another 3K for companion so switched it over. Oh well..
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
No change in CA under my CSP card. First load of the month this morning.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:22 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
could be a change on AMEXs side, but I hope not... Citi card has been working great up until last month.

if this is indeed on Chase's end well that would go with the rest of their non-MS friendly changes recently. perhaps they are noticing what these loads are actually and actively blocking em.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
could be a change on AMEXs side, but I hope not... Citi card has been working great up until last month.

if this is indeed on Chase's end well that would go with the rest of their non-MS friendly changes recently. perhaps they are noticing what these loads are actually and actively blocking em.
That's what I'm thinking as well. Might be on the Amex side. Someone already reported Cap1 is also possibly showing as CA.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:34 pm
jk2

Citi Prestige looks OK - CA shows $0 after 2x$200 loads.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Good data, was more looking for Citi/barclays/usbank, but at least we know its not a chase thing.... Will see how this plays out...
I just did a $100 load on a new Barclaycard. This is a newer card for me and it appears that you cannot tell via their web interface what your cash advance limit/usage is. If someone knows where that information shows up I will check. Otherwise I guess I am playing it out also.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Citi AA OK too, I have my CA set to $0. Second load of the month and went through without problem.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:51 pm

Barclays Arrival still counting as purchase for time being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.