Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by halberstram
I heard that the IRS is not actually a government agency, just a private corporation that acts as a government contractor. Is there any truth to this?
No.

IRS Criminal Investigation (CI) is comprised of approximately 3,700 employees worldwide, approximately 2,600 of whom are special agents whose investigative jurisdiction includes tax, money laundering and Bank Secrecy Act laws. While other federal agencies also have investigative jurisdiction for money laundering and some bank secrecy act violations, IRS is the only federal agency that can investigate potential criminal violations of the Internal Revenue Code.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Criminal-Inve...I)-At-a-Glance

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by tsb
Yes, *everyone* here has more knowledge than you do.
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by monkeywrencher
There has been a great deal of speculation here that manufactured spending with money orders is not illegal. Personally, I have not tried this method and I am not inclined to try it. Since it appears several here have experience with money laundering laws, has anyone considered this?

31 USC 2354(a)(1) Provides Criminal Penalties for Structuring transactions to avoid reporting requirements in several other sections of federal law. One of those reporting requirements is for money orders described in 31 USC 5325(a)(2), 5325(a)(2) seems to require ID for a transaction or series of transactions for money orders greater than 3k. There are threads here regarding when and where to purchase money orders and when ID is taken. Many here purchase far more than $3k in Money Orders regularly.

It seems plausible from a law enforcement point of view that reporting requirements are being evaded in the context of MS techniques.

Anyone with more knowledge than I care to comment?
There is another thread where it is discussed a little more thoroughly, although like all FT threads it is disjointed.

When a seller of money orders sells $3,000-$9,999.99 of money orders in a transaction or series of transactions for cash, the seller is required to record that transaction in its a Daily Monetary Log, with information about the purchaser. That information, unlike the Currency Transaction Reports for transactions of $10,000 or more, does not go to the government.

There seems to be disagreement as to whether the purchase of $3,000 or more of money orders with debit cards and prepaid cards would cause the seller to record the transaction in its Daily Monetary Log, since no cash is directly involved. WalMart and Kroger do appear to record a purchase of money orders with a debit card or prepaid card in the log when the purchase is $3,000 of more. That does not mean that is the correct legal answer, if just means that us how they programmed their computer.

If is certainly not illegal to buy $3,000 or more of money orders. You are correct that the Structuring laws make it illegal to arrange the purchase of the money orders so as to avoid having the seller make entries into its Daily Monetary Log. I was surprised to find this out because I used to think that Structuring only applied to transactions involving the $10,000 CTR threshold. For what it is worth, most of the Structuring cases that a person reads do involve the $10,000 level.

A lot of posters do in fact buy $1,000 or $2,000 of money orders at a time but that does not mean that they are choosing those amounts to keep their information out of the Daily Monetary Log. Many of the debit cards used to purchase money orders gave a daily limit that is less than $3,000. Many cash registers can only do so many split tenders with $500 prepaid cards. A lot of people buy a little less than $2,000 of money orders at WalMart because its system can only do four $500 prepaid card transactions at a time. Finally, most of us have a limit as to how many prepaid cards or money orders we want to carry around at a time for safety and risk of loss, and for many this $1,000 or $2,000. A frustrating thing about WalMart and grocery stores is the lack of privacy compared to a bank. If you buy $3,000 or more of money orders at WalMart and the paperwork is filled out, the clerks irritatingly announce everything really loudly and someone in the Money Center line just might follow you in the parking lot and rob you. Much safer to keep it fast and low key in my opinion and let everyone in the line behind you think that you bought two money orders of $19.87 each to buy those things that You See on TV, like most of the people behind you in line are doing.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:15 pm
Suspended

My Walmart keeps the log book right on the counter. Names, addresses, social security numbers, birthdates, everything a thief needs to steal your identity. I won't give them my information, not because I am trying to keep my activities secret, but instead because they are so careless with that sensitive information.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:29 pm

Not all WM seem to play by those rules. There's at least one I know of where anything goes. The clerks will keep selling you MOs, way past 3k, just as long as you can buy them.

The form does explicitly say that the MO must be purchased with cash

http://mileageupdate.com/wp-content/...ION-REPORT.jpg

of course I've had clerks tell me that debit = cash.

Does anyone know whether filling one of these out once allows you to purchase more than 3k?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:39 pm

These are the statues:

31 USC 5324 - The Structuring Statute: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5325
31 USC 5325 - Identification Statute: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5325

Andy I see what you are talking about. When reading 5324 alone it seems that "Domestic Coin and Currency Transactions" Refers only to cash but read it in conjunction with 5325.

"No financial institution may issue or sell a bank check, cashier’s check, traveler’s check, or money order to any individual in connection with a transaction or group of such contemporaneous transactions which involves United States coins or currency"

Does United States coins or currency mean physical cash or does it mean the money order is drawn in US Dollars and not a foreign currency? I don't know but my reading is that this *could* apply to a debit card transaction if you take a broad view.

If 5325 applies to a debit card my reading of the requirement that "No person shall, for the purpose of evading the reporting requirements" seems to insulate MSers because that is not the intent.

However when there are discussions about when ID is required and where to go to avoid giving it in addition to huge deposits at ATMs I'm not so sure the government could not argue that MSers are attempting to avoid reporting requirements.

I'm not accusing anyone of doing anything wrong but there seems to be an attitude that all MS techniques are 100% legal. My only point with this post is that there are so many federal crimes and IRS regulations I don't know that anyone can say with complete certainly they are complying with all of them. Everyone has their own comfort zone and to each their own.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by halberstram
My Walmart keeps the log book right on the counter. Names, addresses, social security numbers, birthdates, everything a thief needs to steal your identity. I won't give them my information, not because I am trying to keep my activities secret, but instead because they are so careless with that sensitive information.
But at the end of the day you say that you are in fact evading reporting requirements. *assuming they apply*
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:03 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by shenxing
Not all WM seem to play by those rules. There's at least one I know of where anything goes. The clerks will keep selling you MOs, way past 3k, just as long as you can buy them.

Does anyone know whether filling one of these out once allows you to purchase more than 3k?
The way I interpret that form is that it is to be completed when money orders are purchased with cash and are purchased in sufficient quantity.

If the money orders were not purchased with cash, the form would not apply. Same is true for forms that exist with auto dealers. They alert the auto dealer to fill this out if a car is purchased for more than $10,000 in Cash.

That does not mean that a car can only be sold for cash. If that were the case most of us would not be driving, as we purchased our car with a check or with a credit card.

There is simply nothing illegal about buying money orders in excess of $3,000 with cash, check, a debit card or a credit card. The seller must do internal record keeping for cash transactions of $3,000 or more and do CTRs for cash transactions of $10,000 or more. The issue of whether a debit card or prepaid card is the same as cash is as far as I know an unresolved one that can be argued either way. If someone finds a true law on point, please let everyone know.

There is even one more threshold to consider, and that is the guidance the government has provided to sellers of money orders instructing them to evaluate whether a Suspicious Activity Report should be filed when money order transactions are $2,000 of more. It does not tell them to file a SAR at that level, it tells them to consider whether one should be filed. As a consequence, some sellers program their computer system to gather some more information for money order transactions in excess of $2,000. Some do not program their computer system that way, but no one knows what is done in the back office as they analyze the day's money order transactions. The customer is never supposed to be told when a SAR is filed.

As I said, there is another thread that discusses this a big more, but it can be frustrating because most posters do not understand the difference between a CTR, a SAR, the entry into the internal Daily Monetary Log, and an internal computer screen designed to gather information to allow the seller to decide later whether to do a SAR. Either that or the poster is part of the Twitter age and unwilling to compose a meaningful post and uses the term SAR for all of the above.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:32 am

Can you guys take the whole CTR, SAR, etc. discussion to the correct thread? Thanks for considering.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by shenxing

I almost exclusively buy more than 3K at a time and never fill out any forms. I just have to give them my ID so they can fill in some info on the computer (I think just my name, address, DL#).
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by USFishin
I almost exclusively buy more than 3K at a time and never fill out any forms. I just have to give them my ID so they can fill in some info on the computer (I think just my name, address, DL#).
That is the "form". The daily monetary log can be computerized, as long as it can ultimately be printed.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:59 am

Strange, when I ask for more than 3k at at the "bad" WMs they are pretty adamant about getting my SSN.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by tuphat
Can you guys take the whole CTR, SAR, etc. discussion to the correct thread? Thanks for considering.
Nah, bury the good stuff. Ups the risk/reward for diligently reading FT.

This is a great thread guys. It seems the ancient minters came out of hiding to discuss high level trouble. We new folk appreciate it.

As someone torn between BP/MO routes... if only I could BP at regular lanes. Or even Kate. I guess it's a good thing I've kept ever receipt ever.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by monkeywrencher
There has been a great deal of speculation here that manufactured spending with money orders is not illegal.
. . .
Anyone with more knowledge than I care to comment?
Ratzlaf v. United States, 510 U.S. 135 might be worth your time.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by smoothmunkey
Ratzlaf v. United States, 510 U.S. 135 might be worth your time.
It should be noted that after the Ratzlaff decison, Congress amended § 5322 to eliminate the willfulness requirement.

Last edited by andyandy; Jul 18, 2014 at 11:29 am Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.