Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If he was a real S/A and you spoke with him without an attorney present, you are a fool. If he was a fake S/A and you spoke with him, you are a fool.

Rules 1-1,000 of criminal investigations: Do not speak without your attorney present, do not speak without your attorney present, do not speak without your attorneys present.....
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Where is that thread because I'm not seeing it anywhere in Search? I'm seeing IRS Audits but nothing regarding CID. It's very doubtful the government is just going to "accept your word" if there is suspicion you have laundered hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Someone posted that CID left a card on the house door and the recipient scheduled an appointment. During the appointment, the two agents asked about the source of the deposits and they started laughing when he pulled out his SunTrust debit card. That is just from memory, I do not have the link.

None of this is terribly surprising. If SARS are filed and CID observes that someone is reporting $50,000 of income but depositing $300,000 it is not surprising that an explanation is requested. Hopefully they seem happy that they can cross some targets off of their long list. I understand the argument to remain silent but that is certainly not going to get the target crossed off of the list. Although the guy who remains silent may never head from them again and the guy who speaks might say the wrong thing. The CID and special agent folks are not responsible for direct tax collection, so do not take their lack of interest in whether the miles or cash/back are taxable as meaning anything at all. I am glad the original poster shared the story. I do not think it was phishing.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

Please post a photo of his business card. I'm sure you have one, since you supposedly allowed an armed individual into your home.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Yossarian147
Please post a photo of his business card. I'm sure you have one, since you supposedly allowed an armed individual into your home.
I hope the original poster realizes that if he does that and it includes the phone number that he is going to have a more difficult time getting crossed off of the list if the Special Agent starts getting calls about how much is "safe" to deposit.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:27 pm

If this happens to me, I'd invoke my right to remain silent whether or not they are who they say they are. DH is right in saying I have to keep practicing at the shooting range in case of invasion by unwelcome strangers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Squeezer
I would have used my right to remain silent.
Absolutely right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
It's not BS. Here are more details:

I was not home when they stopped by, they just left a business card in my door. I did call my CPA before I called and he instructed me to not give out any personal information but I should call to first find out what they wanted to discuss and I could follow up with any questions. They didn't ask for any personal information and once I found out all they wanted to know about was the money orders I was glad to explain why I was buying money orders.

They did asked where I learned of this strategy. Intenet And if I am using the miles Yes.

No, it's not a Vanilla debit product. If you don't know what debit card I'm talking about please use Google for 5 seconds.

Here's a pic of the business card:

Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
And you really blew your story with the SA talking about T&C of credit cards and the SA saying they see more debit with MOs. You really expect us to believe the SA knows the exact T&C of the debit cards you were using and that they weren't allowed? I honestly believe you made this post up to freak people out here. I guess you enjoy that sort of thing.
The comment about the T&C was at the very end. I was suprised as well but based on their comments about this being familar with this it sounds like they ahve heard this before. Clearly the T&C has nothing to do with me and the IRS, it is an issue with the bank and their customers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by debtinator
Did they say anything that would indicate they were interested in the miles you were earning (did they consider them taxable/income/etc) - or solely worried about ML?
Purely concerned about ML, nothing about it being taxale income.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by member7777
I semi-agree in concept. But in this case I would be very forthcoming. I don't like hiring attorneys for no reason. Or going downtown to be grilled.
Agreed. Once it was clear what the issue was, it only took maybe all of 5 minutes on the phone. Really underwhemling actually.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by tridawg
Dude, your thinking of Sith Lords. Always two, a master and an apprentice.
^^ And you, dear FT'er, have won teh Innernets for today.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:08 pm

I'm not sure if a business card is worth anything since anyone can print whatever business they're in, yet it doesn't prove the one handing it is legit.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by cnceagles
I think IRS is also triggered by multiple payments in aggregate over $10,000, and not just single transactions in excess of $10,000. E.g., see: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...0000-Form-8300
I've underlined something from that link:

"Any persons who receive more than $10,000 in one transaction or a series of related transactions, while conducting their trade or business, must file a Form 8300."

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but it seems like someone here depositing WM money orders here is not receiving money from someone, nor is it due to conducting their trade or business.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I've underlined something from that link:

"Any persons who receive more than $10,000 in one transaction or a series of related transactions, while conducting their trade or business, must file a Form 8300."

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but it seems like someone here depositing WM money orders here is not receiving money from someone, nor is it due to conducting their trade or business.
-Go to WM
-buy $10k in MO
-You've received more than $10k

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
-Go to WM
-buy $10k in MO
-You've received more than $10k

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. Read the instructions, MO purchase with GCs is not a designated reporting transaction, which is the only circumstance in which MOs are treated as cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.