Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by member7777
Or going downtown to be grilled
they cannot compel such a trip without cause.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Was there ever a definitive answer on whether a money order was considered cash, or check as I've seen both argued ?
they just want to know it was his money, and him making the transactions.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
My parents taught me never to open my doors to strangers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: None
IRS should track FT to see what all the shameless individuals (me included) here do. Making money out of thin air. A perfect movie plot.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Was there ever a definitive answer on whether a money order was considered cash, or check as I've seen both argued?
MO isn't cash just like a Cashier's Check isn't cash. A CTR doesn't get filed for depositing either one so not sure how someone can argue a MO is considered cash.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnandBurn
No, not a Revenue Officer, a Special Agent… you know, the ones with the guns an handcuffs? He stopped by my house, unannounced, to ask me some questions about some banking transactions which have come to their attention. For the past few years I have been using our favorite miles-earning debit card to purchase money orders at our favorite retailer. Apparently depositing “several hundred thousand dollars” over the past year does seem to catch someone’s attention.

Once I explained the basics of what I was doing and why, the matter appeared to be resolved in a few minutes – it was clear I was not laundering money, which is their concern of course. In fact, the Special Agent’s response was that they are seeing this (debit cards with money orders) “more and more these days”. The IRS agent did even mention to me that the T&C of the debit card do not allow for MO – the T&C didn’t use to, but apparently it does now.

YMMV...
I'm calling bull on this. IRS CI Special Agents don't just knock on people's doors, ask a few questions, and leave. The IRS investigation usually starts in another IRS department that refers the case to the CI for further review. You're about 10,000x more likely to get something in the mail from the IRS such as an audit or IDR (Information Document Request) than have an CI agent show up at your door. For the CI to even open a case, it would have to be approved by multiple people who reviewed the data and thought a case was likely. If your case went through multiple reviews at IRS CI, a case was approved to open, and he showed up at your door, you honestly take us to believe he just asked a few questions and left?

And you really blew your story with the SA talking about T&C of credit cards and the SA saying they see more debit with MOs. You really expect us to believe the SA knows the exact T&C of the debit cards you were using and that they weren't allowed? I honestly believe you made this post up to freak people out here. I guess you enjoy that sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I think you mean to say CID
The individual is still formally known as a "Special Agent." The CID is just the division the agent works.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I'm calling bull on this. IRS CI Special Agents don't just knock on people's doors, ask a few questions, and leave.
Past posts on FT indicate that Special Agents working within the IRS CID are well aware of this particular Debit card. And that on one occasion, they smiled and laughed when the person being interrogated showed them the actual card.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnandBurn
The IRS agent did even mention to me that the T&C of the debit card do not allow for MO – the T&C didn’t use to, but apparently it does now.
How would he know what the T&C of your debit card is. I doubt every bank has the same T&C.

Edit: I see someone above beat me to the question. Im having a hard time digesting this as well.

Where is a pic of the business card.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lappie
How would he know what the T&C of your debit card is. I doubt every bank has the same T&C.
B/C the CID is already well aware of this popular Debit card.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:26 pm

Did they say anything that would indicate they were interested in the miles you were earning (did they consider them taxable/income/etc) - or solely worried about ML?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

B/C the CID is already well aware of this popular Debit card.
I just looked at my VGC and the only place I see a reference that could be applied is that the "card is not redeemable for cash."
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by debtinator
Did they say anything that would indicate they were interested in the miles you were earning (did they consider them taxable/income/etc) - or solely worried about ML?
Miles from MS are not income. This has been gone over and over and over again.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lappie
I just looked at my VGC and the only place I see a reference that could be applied is that the "card is not redeemable for cash."
Your VGC is not a miles earning debit card
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by debtinator
They'd like to treat them as taxable income, but they haven't... as of yet.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

Past posts on FT indicate that Special Agents working within the IRS CID are well aware of this particular Debit card. And that on one occasion, they smiled and laughed when the person being interrogated showed them the actual card.
Where is that thread because I'm not seeing it anywhere in Search? I'm seeing IRS Audits but nothing regarding CID. It's very doubtful the government is just going to "accept your word" if there is suspicion you have laundered hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.