Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
My friend was driving us and got stopped for something, and the officer asked "mind if I look around?" My friend said yes (another mistake), ...

I'm quite positive that if I had started asserting my rights and refused to speak without a lawyer present, the outcome would have been rather different. At best, I would have had to spend money on attorney's fees to recover the confiscated cash.
Never, ever consent to a police search. If they have probable cause, they will search with or without your consent. Also, just because driver consented to search of car doesn't mean you had to consent to search of your person. Any attorney will advise a polite but firm refusal.

Although I could second your overall conclusion, I probably wouldn't be able to convince you otherwise.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:37 am

One time, many years ago, I had about $1400 of cash (in $20 bills) to pay my college tuition. I'm not sure why my parents gave me cash, but I was a teenager and didn't know any better. My friend was driving us and got stopped for something, and the officer asked "mind if I look around?" My friend said yes (another mistake), and the officer found the cash and started inspecting each note in the stack and asking both of us questions. I explained that it was for my tuition. He asked me a few questions (what school do you go to, what year, what major, etc.) and then returned it and sent us on our way.

I'm quite positive that if I had started asserting my rights and refused to speak without a lawyer present, the outcome would have been rather different. At best, I would have had to spend money on attorney's fees to recover the confiscated cash.
I think these types of comparisons really have nothing to do w/ the issue at hand. Given MO deposits, etc, there are more complex questions about potential structuring, etc. that you can really get yourself in trouble with if you misspeak.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:52 am

One time, many years ago, I had about $1400 of cash (in $20 bills) to pay my college tuition. I'm not sure why my parents gave me cash, but I was a teenager and didn't know any better. My friend was driving us and got stopped for something, and the officer asked "mind if I look around?" My friend said yes (another mistake), and the officer found the cash and started inspecting each note in the stack and asking both of us questions. I explained that it was for my tuition. He asked me a few questions (what school do you go to, what year, what major, etc.) and then returned it and sent us on our way.

It always depends on the situation. You had an easy to follow and simple explanation. If it had involved MO, the officer's head may have exploded

He could still have rejected your explanation and done whatever he wanted with you and your money - from a practical perspective, not a legal perspective.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:42 pm

I hate to revive an old thread, but I also received a visit today from an IRS contractor accompanied by a detective from our local sheriff's office.

My experience was similar to OP's in that they wanted to know why I was buying gift cards. I explained it was for miles/points and they were very professional and said they would be in touch if they need anything further.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:06 pm

What kind of GC volume are you doing?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by us1549
I hate to revive an old thread, but I also received a visit today from an IRS contractor accompanied by a detective from our local sheriff's office.

My experience was similar to OP's in that they wanted to know why I was buying gift cards. I explained it was for miles/points and they were very professional and said they would be in touch if they need anything further.
Curious as to what type of credentials are presented by a "IRS contractor"? And how did they know where to find you?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I hate to revive an old thread ...
There is absolutely no need to justify adding relevant information to a thread.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Beckles
There is absolutely no need to justify adding relevant information to a thread.
+1. I presume the gift cards were purchased with a debit or credit card listing a home address, and that is where the agents showed up. Sounds like a SAR was filed and the IRS Criminal Investigations Department followed up with a contractor who brought along local law enforcement since credit card theft is often a state criminal matter more so than federal.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Curious as to what type of credentials are presented by a "IRS contractor"? And how did they know where to find you?
I didn't get a good look at the badge, but I probably provided my address on an SAR (or something similar) at one time or another.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:15 pm

I very curious as to your MS volume.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:37 pm

did they ask to see any records/did you volunteer any 'proof' of what you're doing? telling the govt anything in the police state we now live in doesn't sit well with me. that is countered with the desire to get off their radar- which easy cooperation would hopefully do. tough choice. my concern would be essentially telling and IRS agent that this is a organized and planned 'enterprise' designed for gain. would hate to say something that makes it qualify as a 'business'= taxable. cash back cards really muddy the waters too. i worry that they would take the view that it isn't a rebate, that it's more akin to a reseller who buys something for turn a profit. like i said, not an in depth conversation i'd want to have with an IRS agent.

yeah, there is the case law- but that case law was not about MS.
i think about this because i would not be surprised if i got a visit one day and i'm not sure what i'd say...
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:36 am

What is an IRS contractor?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:35 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
did they ask to see any records/did you volunteer any 'proof' of what you're doing? telling the govt anything in the police state we now live in doesn't sit well with me. that is countered with the desire to get off their radar- which easy cooperation would hopefully do. tough choice. my concern would be essentially telling and IRS agent that this is a organized and planned 'enterprise' designed for gain. would hate to say something that makes it qualify as a 'business'= taxable. cash back cards really muddy the waters too. i worry that they would take the view that it isn't a rebate, that it's more akin to a reseller who buys something for turn a profit. like i said, not an in depth conversation i'd want to have with an IRS agent.

yeah, there is the case law- but that case law was not about MS.
i think about this because i would not be surprised if i got a visit one day and i'm not sure what i'd say...

Last edited by Andy2; Apr 8, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:18 am

I have never heard of an IRS CID contractor, and wouldn't even begin to think about talking to them before verifying their identity. You can pick up badges at flea markets & online for tree fiddy and change.

Even after verifying their identity, I would very strictly limit what I said to them. A polite "I buy them for points/miles" is fine, but I wouldn't answer any questions -- how does that work? how do you liquidate? etc. Feel free to say, politely but firmly, "I'm finished talking to you. Good day."

P.S. Also, all conversations outside the house. Never admit any LEO without a search warrant. "Mind if I come inside?" "Yes, I do, we can talk here."
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Andy2
They are trying to determine what is happening (they of course have a copy of the tax return and likely copies of bank statements but they never mention this, since they want to catch someone in a lie).
Just to pick out one of several points of misinformation in your post:

To obtain bank records, the IRS has to prepare a summons and observe certain notice and waiting periods, incl. notifying the taxpayer that a summons has been prepared/served.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.