Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, an IRS Special Agent just stopped by...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by tuphat
Just to pick out one of several points of misinformation in your post:

To obtain bank records, the IRS has to prepare a summons and observe certain notice and waiting periods, incl. notifying the taxpayer that a summons has been prepared/served.
In a civil matter they do, in a criminal one they absolutely do not have to do that.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
In a civil matter they do, in a criminal one they absolutely do not have to do that.
Nope. Feel free to provide a cite proving me wrong.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Member

I deleted my post, not because I feel anything I said was wrong, but because I am tired of FT being full of posters like you that contribute little or nothing, nitpick everyone's comments, take comments out of context, hijack every thread into a different direction, etc.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:07 pm

Likewise
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:21 pm

From http://www.irs.gov/irm/part34/irm_34-006-003.html

Originally Posted by InternalRevenueManual
34.6.3.6.3 (08-11-2004)
Actions to Obtain Approval for Dispensing with the Notice Requirements

In general when a summons is issued to a third party, the Service is required to issue a notice to the taxpayer or other person who is identified in the description of records sought. IRC 7609(g) provides a limited exception where the Service can dispense with the giving of notice. To dispense with notice under IRC 7609(a) and (b), the United States district court for the district within which the person summoned resides or is found must enter an order, on the basis of the facts and circumstances alleged, that there is reasonable cause to believe the giving of notice may lead to attempts to conceal, destroy, or alter records relevant to the examination, to prevent the communication of information from other persons through intimidation, bribery, or collusion, or to flee to avoid prosecution, testifying, or production of records. IRC 7609(g). The determination by the court will be ex parte and solely upon petition and supporting affidavits.
Just sayin'

Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:40 pm

This is more for the OP, but how long did it take the S/A to conclude their investigation? Are you notified once you're all clear, or they just don't contact you again?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:19 am

[QUOTE=tuphat;24635145]Just to pick out one of several points of misinformation in your post:

If a SAR was filed certain information can be produced without legal process under the supporting docs guidelines.

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/..._Guidance.html

Last edited by AnalystGuy; Apr 9, 2015 at 6:41 am Reason: Link
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:05 am

I deleted my post, not because I feel anything I said was wrong, but because I am tired of FT being full of posters like you that contribute little or nothing, nitpick everyone's comments, take comments out of context, hijack every thread into a different direction, etc.
And I am tired of people making statements of fact/law without offering support or citation when asked. You said that 3rd party summon process was different for criminal vs. civil, I disagreed and asked for cite. What's wrong with that??
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:08 am

[QUOTE=AnalystGuy;24639601]
Just to pick out one of several points of misinformation in your post:

If a SAR was filed certain information can be produced without legal process under the supporting docs guidelines.

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/..._Guidance.html
The interpretation that FinCEN offers is with respect to RFPA only. Each member agency must still follow its own procedures.

Edit to add: Further, it applies only to "supporting documentation" for the SAR, i.e., whatever the bank used as the basis for the SAR and segregated in the SAR file. Other documentation is subject to RFPA limits, procedures, etc.

Last edited by tuphat; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:20 am

[QUOTE=tuphat;24639798]
Originally Posted by AnalystGuy

The interpretation that FinCEN offers is with respect to RFPA only. Each member agency must still follow its own procedures.

Edit to add: Further, it applies only to "supporting documentation" for the SAR, i.e., whatever the bank used as the basis for the SAR and segregated in the SAR file. Other documentation is subject to RFPA limits, procedures, etc.
Yes, that's correct. That may have been the reason for the local law enforcement?
The supporting documentation can be broad. Balances, transaction history, other account histiry, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:11 pm

[QUOTE=AnalystGuy;24640107]

Yes, that's correct. That may have been the reason for the local law enforcement?
The supporting documentation can be broad. Balances, transaction history, other account history, etc.
Local law enforcement can't trump a federal statute at a federally-chartered institution. They'd still need an enforceable summons.

The supporting documentation can't simply be everything under the sun, it's what the bank relied upon in preparing the SAR, and contemporaneously segregated into a separate file (physical or electronic).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:49 pm

IRS Contractor with local law enforcement? LOL. Make things up much? Oh and I'm with tuphat, I'm tired of people on the internet pretending to be an expert when they provide no factual information behind claims.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Sedentary
You are absolutely correct, a valid court order will trump the notice requirement. Do you have any idea how hard it would be for the IRS to get such an order in this case? Esp. if all the IRS can say is: "We heard this fella is buying a lot of gift cards, Judge, so we'd like the kind of order that you generally issue only for drug cases, organized crime, etc."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.