Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WM Charges 4.95 to reload at kiosk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
No offense, but I'm sure you do not have nearly the leverage Amex has.
Agreed - people would be be surprised with the weight CC merchants carry when dealing with merchants.

Article.

Wal-Mart has definitely felt like it was in a weak position compared to Visa/AmEx in negotiations.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by myndreamland
Ain't the same thing.
Correct. GoBank doesn't have purchase fees and you request one online, not one of the walmart money cards that you buy at Walmart. No monthly fees for not loading anything either - which I think the Walmart preferred money card requires to waive fees. You load it as a walmart money card at the kiosks though and if the cashier looks at you strangely when you ask to load it, I just tell them it's the same way as loading a Bluebird or Walmart money card and they get it.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA
They haven't fixed it yet, at least in my area. Just got dinged with the 3.95 fee when loading to Serve.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by mh1361
They haven't fixed it yet, at least in my area. Just got dinged with the 3.95 fee when loading to Serve.
Glad I skipped my planned reload today.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead
Agreed - people would be be surprised with the weight CC merchants carry when dealing with merchants.
The deli around the corner from your office is "a merchant." CC companies are the bane of the merchant's existence.

WalMart is not "a merchant."

CC companies are in the "retail transaction" business. WalMart is the single largest "retail transaction" company in the known universe. Accordingly, WalMart is the CC companies' single largest customer. No one else is even close.

WalMart is #20 on the Forbes 2000 list. By comparison, McDonald's is #186. Target is #200. Amazon is #452.

CC companies carry little-to-no weight with WalMart, who regards them as not much more than "useful idiots."
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Well one phone call and my $7.90 was credited back. Thank god I'm done for the month with Serve. With the fall of WM MC money orders and Serve reload screw ups I'm spent with WM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by floressalicis
Correct. GoBank doesn't have purchase fees and you request one online, not one of the walmart money cards that you buy at Walmart. No monthly fees for not loading anything either - which I think the Walmart preferred money card requires to waive fees. You load it as a walmart money card at the kiosks though and if the cashier looks at you strangely when you ask to load it, I just tell them it's the same way as loading a Bluebird or Walmart money card and they get it.
Thanks. I just did some research on the Gobank card. Same issuer (Greendot). Same comments "shut down without notice. hold your money for months,etc"

What is your personal opinion on your GoBank card, and how hard do you use it?

thanks for the info. I am just looking for another re loadable card to use at Walmart / kiosk.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sosamo
Thanks. I just did some research on the Gobank card. Same issuer (Greendot). Same comments "shut down without notice. hold your money for months,etc"

What is your personal opinion on your GoBank card, and how hard do you use it?

thanks for the info. I am just looking for another re loadable card to use at Walmart / kiosk.
I have 4. My oldest one is a month or two past the one year mark, the others are just a bit past the 1 year mark. I was living in NYC when I first got them so getting to Walmart was a rare thing and because of that, I never got more than $5k loaded a month if that. Not sure if that's why, but all my cards avoided the shutdown during the giant wave of them. I've always kept to the bluebird limits. I've only recently moved to a more Walmart friendly location but I'm still keeping at the same limits. I went over the $5k mark by a couple hundred on two of them a month or so ago but not even a warning so far. It's basically doubling my bluebird/serve capacity, so I'm pretty happy with it.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by floressalicis
I have 4. My oldest one is a month or two past the one year mark, the others are just a bit past the 1 year mark. I was living in NYC when I first got them so getting to Walmart was a rare thing and because of that, I never got more than $5k loaded a month if that. Not sure if that's why, but all my cards avoided the shutdown during the giant wave of them. I've always kept to the bluebird limits. I've only recently moved to a more Walmart friendly location but I'm still keeping at the same limits. I went over the $5k mark by a couple hundred on two of them a month or so ago but not even a warning so far. It's basically doubling my bluebird/serve capacity, so I'm pretty happy with it.
I've had mine for about a year. I've followed the FT GoBank wiki advice about only loading when the balance is low, and mixing in a regular purchase here and there (I usually buy coffee twice a week with my GoBank.) I've yet to have a shutdown.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:05 pm

Insightful analysis! Thanks for sharing.

But why would WalMart collude with AmEx? WalMart is not a big player in the prepaid card mkt, and its money card is issued by Green Dot.

Originally Posted by RJP3
With recent hiccups in Vanilla GCs I wonder if we're actually seeing symptoms of a "WalMart/AmEx vs Vanilla" fight going on here?

If AmEx wanted to kill Vanilla in the prepaid debit card arena, they could easily tell WalMart to code the system to make Vanilla GC's easier to detect/reject.

If the two can kill Vanilla, Vanilla's pre-paid/reloadable Visa card goes away. Then BB/Serve gains market share in that space. And don't think that WM/AmEx doesn't know that MS'ers can be a tipping point in that fight. I know WalMart and AmEx very well from a commercial/strategic standpoint. If either/both didn't want MSers using GCs... it would have stopped within HOURS of the first GC being swiped into the system.

Ironically, WM/AmEx were probably high-fiving when CVS took it upon themselves to punch Vanilla in the nose by no longer accepting credit cards for VRs. (Hint: CVS is one of WalMart's biggest competitor's in the lucrative pharma/OTC/H&BA areas, all of which have far higher margins than $12 jeans, etc.)

If I were GreenDot I'd pay attention here. They are next...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
For those who call in, what information do they ask you for? I have a Serve card not in my name and wanted to know what information I needed to know to call to get the fee reversed?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d
I've had mine for about a year. I've followed the FT GoBank wiki advice about only loading when the balance is low, and mixing in a regular purchase here and there (I usually buy coffee twice a week with my GoBank.) I've yet to have a shutdown.
Thanks guys. I'll check the wiki.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
For those who call in, what information do they ask you for? I have a Serve card not in my name and wanted to know what information I needed to know to call to get the fee reversed?
Card number, security question, last four of the SSN.
Maybe birthday and address? Don't remember.

But maybe just wait and see if it fixes itself.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Tuppins
Card number, security question, last four of the SSN.
Maybe birthday and address
? Don't remember.

But maybe just wait and see if it fixes itself.
Card number is asked when calling. Automated.
I'm always asked what you pointed out.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:56 pm

Yup, I just called and got asked name, SSN, card #, security question and CID. $3.95 credit appeared instantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.