Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:17 pm

Experienced a new screen today in WM MC using Metabank VGC... this applies to the COLOR screen register...

After swipe VGC, the screen flashed quickly and gave a window to enter the PIN. After entering PIN, a signature screen showed up and cashier said it was running as Credit !!! The flashed screen had one Red cancel button at the right corner but it cannot be clicked on the screen, nor hit 'cancel' on the keyboard. (Maybe I was not that quick)

OK... here is what suppose to do... In the screen to enter the PIN, there is a RED cancel button on the right bottom corner. Do not enter the PIN, just hit Cancel button. Then the normal screen showed up with 'Change Payment' at the middle of bottom screen with Red 'Cancel' on the right corner. Hit 'Change Payment' and it will be normal as usual... ATM/Debit/No CashBack/PIN...

Do not let cashier to enter amount or hit Blue Debit before your finish entering PIN. And the exact steps needed are: after you entered the PIN, your screen will show 'Waiting for cashier...'. Then cashier needs to 1: Press blue color partial Debit on her screen. (If she presses the green one which is for the whole payment, you have to swipe over again) 2: Enter the amount at the keyboard on her right side attached to the screen. 3: Hit 'Enter' on the keyboard after entering amount. (It will fail if she enters amount first and presses debit later)

If you enter the PIN in the fake screen without 'Change Payment', the screen *MAY* crash and show up lines of error message (04 type) to ask you to try again. This is very normal. Just wait for it to go away and swipe again.

Good luck. YMMV.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:34 pm

Other posters had said that Metabank cards weren't impacted. Sorry to hear that they are, if they are. Then again, I don't know where to buy any in my area, so it doesn't impact me.

Are others having this issue?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:51 pm

A couple of hours ago did MetaBank VGC for a MO at the MC (central NJ) and didn't need to click on red or yellow buttons. Then did a Serve load with Metabank VGC at a register and same same - no hassle with buttons.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by rossrr
Only $1 extra, but when you do x10 cards per visit and you visit multiple times a week, those $1s add up quickly! It's worth a little extra physical labor to save $10 per visit. I'm fortunate to have the same 4-5 employees in MC every time I visit. When the new change kicked in, we adjusted and kept rolling.
+1, that $1 extra would cost me well over $1000 over the coarse of a year.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
OK... here is what suppose to do... In the screen to enter the PIN, there is a RED cancel button on the right bottom corner. Do not enter the PIN, just hit Cancel button. Then the normal screen showed up with 'Change Payment' at the middle of bottom screen with Red 'Cancel' on the right corner. Hit 'Change Payment' and it will be normal as usual... ATM/Debit/No CashBack/PIN...

Do not let cashier to enter amount or hit Blue Debit before your finish entering PIN. And the exact steps needed are: after you entered the PIN, your screen will show 'Waiting for cashier...'. Then cashier needs to 1: Press blue color partial Debit on her screen. (If she presses the green one which is for the whole payment, you have to swipe over again) 2: Enter the amount at the keyboard on her right side attached to the screen. 3: Hit 'Enter' on the keyboard after entering amount. (It will fail if she enters amount first and presses debit later)

If you enter the PIN in the fake screen without 'Change Payment', the screen *MAY* crash and show up lines of error message (04 type) to ask you to try again. This is very normal. Just wait for it to go away and swipe again.
Crikey, that could win a Rube Goldberg competition.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
better than $1000 over the smooth of a year.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

In that case, go to Walmart and buy the UNB gift cards instead. Those are for $4.94, so it will save you $10 over the course of a year!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by spgbus
Experienced a new screen today in WM MC using Metabank VGC... this applies to the COLOR screen register...

After swipe VGC, the screen flashed quickly and gave a window to enter the PIN. After entering PIN, a signature screen showed up and cashier said it was running as Credit !!! The flashed screen had one Red cancel button at the right corner but it cannot be clicked on the screen, nor hit 'cancel' on the keyboard. (Maybe I was not that quick)

Good luck. YMMV.

Where did you purchase the card that gave you trouble?

I used a MB VGC from GCM on Saturday morning on a new color terminal without issue.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by bits0w

better than $1000 over the smooth of a year.
haha. I see what you did there.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tuphat
Since Metabank GCs are still accepted without work around, it's worth the $1 price difference for me to avoid all this hassle.

P.S. > The MB GC packages are also a lot easier to open!
I'm going to move more of my spending to US Bank GCs due to this annoyance.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cbn42
In that case, go to Walmart and buy the UNB gift cards instead. Those are for $4.94, so it will save you $10 over the course of a year!
How well do these work?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Where did you purchase the card that gave you trouble? ...
Tom Thumb - a Safeway brand in DFW
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:53 am

Does WM allow gift card purchases with credit cards? I would suspect not as everyone would be talking about going there instead of CVS....
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
How well do these work?
I bought my first GCs from WM last weekend (from Sunrise Bank). No issues for me and I used them within 10 mins of purchasing. Pin is last 4 of card.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I bought my first GCs from WM last weekend (from Sunrise Bank). No issues for me and I used them within 10 mins of purchasing. Pin is last 4 of card.

No issues, meaning no need for the workaround?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.