Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hbax
Yesterday I hit the suburban KATE, and it was an unmitigated disaster. I could have swiped until the cows came home, and not one single OV would load, no matter what I did.

Tonight I went to see my KATE, and BAM, BAM, BAM. Every single OV loaded on the first swipe. What a girl.
That makes no sense at all. It must be a system patch that has done this. For one weekend my WM could not process any Chase cards. They were all declined--for no reason.

So far I've stayed away from OV to load at WM because my Kate is 40 minutes away.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by commdiver
Good Lord, dude. Please, tell me that MSing is your day job.
I'm there 3-4 times a week.
When my wife asks me where I'm going I tell her, "To poke Kate." She rolls her eyes.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by commdiver
Good Lord, dude. Please, tell me that MSing is your day job.
Day job, night job, part time job, hobby, and total addiction. Doesn't have a life outside of Wm.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:27 am

Just loaded 6 OVs to Serve at Kate with one swipe each. Seems like they're working again. Perfect timing for the free GC offer at WAG that ends today.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Just loaded 6 OVs to Serve at Kate with one swipe each. Seems like they're working again. Perfect timing for the free GC offer at WAG that ends today.
Were you unable to a few days ago?

Interested in hearing if anyone has been successful when they weren't a few days ago. I didn't have success through Evolve, Kate, or the register. I will try again today and post back, especially with the WG deal! Worst case is AP is still available!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Does anyone know if WM will cash an MO purchased at Kate? Read online they won't (which strikes me as odd). If not, suggestions on where to cash out? I don't want to deposit in bank account.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Does anyone know if WM will cash an MO purchased at Kate? Read online they won't (which strikes me as odd). If not, suggestions on where to cash out? I don't want to deposit in bank account.
Why?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Why?
I just want an easy alternative.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Why is that WM is so special to Bancorp that they only want WM transactions to be credit. That doesn't make any sense.
Credit interchange fees (earned by card issuers) are more than debit fees, so the card issuer will naturally prefer the transaction to be processed as a credit transaction.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I assume they won't because that would be a cheap ulterior route to withdrawing cash in great amounts (greater than cash back option at the register, at least). IE You could use your debit to get a money order for $.70, then turn around and ask them to cash it out. That's much cheaper than using their ATM, which I'm sure they would like the fees on.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by healthnut
I assume they won't because that would be a cheap ulterior route to withdrawing cash in great amounts .
It's because WM doesn't cash hand written checks
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Why?
One of the reasons I can think is if the bank account is overdrawn
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by healthnut
I assume they won't because that would be a cheap ulterior route to withdrawing cash in great amounts (greater than cash back option at the register, at least). IE You could use your debit to get a money order for $.70, then turn around and ask them to cash it out. That's much cheaper than using their ATM, which I'm sure they would like the fees on.
Yes, but they charge $3- $6 to cash a check/MO.

And they will cash a money order as long as it isn't printed the same day. They have to call money gram on it, so it is a hassle.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mplst
Yes, but they charge $3- $6 to cash a check/MO.

And they will cash a money order as long as it isn't printed the same day. They have to call money gram on it, so it is a hassle.
Thanks for all that info. I may give it a try. See how long/irritating it is.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Credit interchange fees (earned by card issuers) are more than debit fees, so the card issuer will naturally prefer the transaction to be processed as a credit transaction.
That is not the point. If that were the case, then every store you used the OV should be defaulted to credit if they wanted to maximize revenue. But we know that is not the case. So that doesn't explain why EVERY other store that I have been to besides WM defaults to debit when I try to use it. I think when you slide your card, Bancorp wants it to be processed as debit but is being overwritten by the WM software to process it as credit which is why it takes 3 secs or so before it gives you the DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE message. I even remember the first time when this issue was occurring back in May so I decided to buy a candy bar at WM just to set a PIN. Guess what, a $0.50 candy bar transaction was denied when I tried the workaround and process it as debit. I told the cashier to try again and it worked but again this was only a $0.50 transaction.

Why would they just kill that avenue that was giving them so much revenue via debit transactions even though its smaller? With credit they get way less revenue at WM which BB/Serve loads provides serious transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.