Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
So you go in the store and stand at Kate for 10 minutes waiting before you load. Never in a million years would I waste 10 minutes for nothing, but to each his own...I guess WM is good place for people watching. The again, I only do 4 swipes for 4 cards and I am done and not up to 8+ swipes per card like some of these twits do...so an extra 10 minutes is nothing to them anyway.
Yup. that's what I actually do. Go to the restroom. Check out the TVs, then come back to Kate.

It's that, or risk locking up kate on the first try. Wasting the time and gas it took you to get to Walmart.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
Yup. that's what I actually do. Go to the restroom. Check out the TVs, then come back to Kate.

It's that, or risk locking up kate on the first try. Wasting the time and gas it took you to get to Walmart.
good grief. insert face palm

if this is what all the newbs think, no wonder the kiosk is always 'broken'.

so, if the atm locks up due to velocity limit, you do what- walk away and go home?!?

it's not ideal, i hope to avoid it, but when it does happen, if you walk away, you are PART OF THE PROBLEM. all you have to do is ask for help at customer service. they put in their code, and you continue/finish the transaction.

as always, have a 'regular' debit card with your name on it in your hand "for show" when they come to put in their override. i usually say something to the effect of: the machine's working, but being picky today. essentially NOBODY at walmart understands these machines; so it's pretty easy to deflect if you have any game at all.

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Oct 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm Reason: clarity
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver

and while you were looking at tv's I could have easily came in and dumped $1999.99 and you would not even know I had been there. Still say a horrible waste of time, but whatever floats your boat
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
good grief. insert face palm

if this is what all the newbs think, no wonder the kiosk is always 'broken'.

so, if the atm locks up due to velocity limit, you do what- walk away and go home?!?

it's not ideal, i hope to avoid it, but when it does happen, if you walk away, you are PART OF THE PROBLEM. all you have to do is ask for help at customer service. they put in their code, and you continue/finish the transaction.

as always, have a 'regular' debit card with your name on it in your hand "for show" when they come to put in their override. i usually say something to the effect of: the machine's working, but being picky today. essentially NOBODY at walmart understands these machines; so it's pretty easy to deflect if you have any game at all.
I agree with you on this part. I do try to get a manager to override it. I am pretty sure they get suspicious that the atm keep get locked up and the amount is $500.00

I do walk around. but not for from Kate. And I usually get back 2 mins prior to reserve my spot
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:03 pm

I forgot to mention. I believe if you have a manager override the lock. It may lock up again on the 2nd load. So maybe it's a good idea to finish the load after the override. Step away for 10mins. and load again.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:20 pm

I forgot to mention. I believe if you have a manager override the lock. It may lock up again on the 2nd load. So maybe it's a good idea to finish the load after the override. Step away for 10mins. and load again.
Why don't you apply for a job as Walmart Greeter so you don't waste so much time at Walmart doing nothing.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl
Why don't you apply for a job as Walmart Greeter so you don't waste so much time at Walmart doing nothing.
Maybe. then I can try to move up to supervisor so I can override kate anytime i want.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Maybe. then I can try to move up to supervisor so I can override kate anytime i want.
^ You'll override it for me as well, I hope.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:56 pm

anyone had luck using OV at WM/Kate today? I tried on three occassions with roughly 20 tries, all failed. I think something is up...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
anyone had luck using OV at WM/Kate today? I tried on three occassions with roughly 20 tries, all failed. I think something is up...
Keep trying. Do 100x next time. Make sure all the failures are announced nice and clear too...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
I suspect that many are having the exact same issue. Looks like OV may be on it's last legs again.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:26 pm

bigmouth2008--you're correct--I had two dozen failed swipes on 4 different cards today, with no approvals. I gave up then. Vanillas are dead once again, right now. For how long, no one here can say. Might be OK again tomorrow; might not.

BTW, it's fun reading some of these posts, but many are pure nonsense. No, Vanillas aren't more prone to being misread in the terminals than other cards. No, it's not meaningful how many swipes it takes for a particular card to be approved. It's purely random whether you get an approval on a swipe or not IF any swipes are being approved nationwide at that time. The card used doesn't matter. Use the same card 100 times or 100 different cards one time--you'll get roughly the same percentage of swipes that go through (assuming of course you have funds left on the cards). Simple as that.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:43 pm

Tried to load 1 $500 vv.

-Failed a swipes 1-4 at $500
-Was able to do a $49.99 load
-Next swipe failed at $450
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by toxicity
Keep trying. Do 100x next time. Make sure all the failures are announced nice and clear too...
Yup, and when a manager looking suspicious and walking toward my way, i paniced and took off running... the manager and three of her best employees start running after me...

To make things worse, I tripped over by an old lady (or an old lady was tripped over by me, boy, she must be 90 years old), all my 50 OV gcs and about 20 MOs got loose from my hand and was thrown over the air. They scattered all over the entrance of the WM.

All of sudden the entire WM was in chaos, with people trying to grab whatever they can find. Pretty soon, the chaos turned into riot and human stumpe with desparate yelling and screaming from children, parents, lawyers, cops, Johua Witnesses, Mormon missionaries...

I was able to crawl out alive, barely, so that I can report to you that ... Kate in my WM is MUTED
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Same experience. Tried to load OV at Kate with multiple swipes and all failed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.