Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of MS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Believe it is harder going cash back, but have heard of some holding multiples of the same CB card. Over here we run cash back cards as only 3% of total credit line available in the portfolio. That said, miles and hotel points are stacking like cordwood. Some of our spend is just to bump status now. We caught Hilton cheap skating us golds on upgrades in Tokyo to avoid executive lounge costs, so we are running up to platinum (executive lounge access mandatory) as a countermeasure, for example. Figure executive lounge access comprises 25% of the value of our Hilton stays so running up points for platinum status there is cost effective.

That said, I will probably try to bring CB up to 6-9% as a percentage of total credit line outstanding this next year to begin generating cash as an offset to ADK Jr.'s student loans. I am just a few countries short of this year's goal of reaching 150 countries (TCC countries) visited and have more than enough miles to reach it.
Man , I could use some of your skills!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Several dozen
PM'd.

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Man , I could use some of your skills!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:54 am

MM and I are indeed both in the same time zone, although MM is up in the beantown area on the coast and I'm down south in the money laundering capital of the free world. BTW, personal experience says MS is always better if you live in one of the top ten ML centers. Lots of jobs for AML, CFE and auditor types, too.

Originally Posted by QL_714
I am totally speechless.

Do you and MM use the same alarm clock?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Believe it is harder going cash back, but have heard of some holding multiples of the same CB card. Over here we run cash back cards as only 3% of total credit line available in the portfolio. That said, miles and hotel points are stacking like cordwood. Some of our spend is just to bump status now. We caught Hilton cheap skating us golds on upgrades in Tokyo to avoid executive lounge costs, so we are running up to platinum (executive lounge access mandatory) as a countermeasure, for example. Figure executive lounge access comprises 25% of the value of our Hilton stays so running up points for platinum status there is cost effective.

That said, I will probably try to bring CB up to 6-9% as a percentage of total credit line outstanding this next year to begin generating cash as an offset to ADK Jr.'s student loans. I am just a few countries short of this year's goal of reaching 150 countries (TCC countries) visited and have more than enough miles to reach it.
Are you pushing the full CB portion of the portfolio to one issuer, or spreading to lower return options from multiple issuers? Seems like you'd have to spread out with the implication that you are running a large line, but still curious.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:37 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
PM'd.
I'd appreciate the same PM ADK
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
I'd appreciate the same PM ADK
Please do not PM me. I am not in your league.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Alternative, do cash back and points/miles. Opportunities still there.

Right now my pure cash back cards are only used on 5% category. All of the other cards are paired with portals to double up. I think using points/miles cards without cash back is typically just a waste, and barely cover liquidation costs.

Cash is king.

6 figure ms, all cash+.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:07 pm
jmw

I would rather have cash (and to a certain extent UR) than AA miles, skypesos, etc. All of my CB cards are maxed out for bonuses. I burn hard inquiries on the huge signing bonuses for points, thus I haven't tried to get more than one of each CB card. Right now, a mix of both works well to get signing bonuses and to maximize cash up to the CB cap.

ADK, I'd be interested in a copy of the same PM as well. I'm sure you know lots of things I haven't figured out yet.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:12 pm

Ooo, I want that PM too.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Ooo, I want that PM too.
+100
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
MM and I are indeed both in the same time zone, although MM is up in the beantown area on the coast and I'm down south in the money laundering capital of the free world. BTW, personal experience says MS is always better if you live in one of the top ten ML centers. Lots of jobs for AML, CFE and auditor types, too.
I was wondering why things were so easy in ELP compared to the rest of TX.

I too have switched to CB if M$. Points are nice but it would be nice to ramp up my cash flow. The more I learn from this forum and piecing things together the easier it seems to get.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:26 pm

Have CB cards now with 2 issuers. My total CL is large, but my active CB card comprises only 3% of that total CL. The second CB card has another 10% of that total CL, but is currently slack as I'm focusing on Delta, Hilton, United and Membership Rewards bonuses and statuses at present. After another 100k spend or so, I will swing away from points and miles to CB.

Originally Posted by TMKTakot
Are you pushing the full CB portion of the portfolio to one issuer, or spreading to lower return options from multiple issuers? Seems like you'd have to spread out with the implication that you are running a large line, but still curious.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:41 pm

ELP is less than SAT, but probably better than MFE. As with MIA, it helps to have a majority Latin population for some reason. Over here I see lots of MOs being processed every day, some being purchased with stacks of cash. Last Friday I was behind a twenty something gal unloading about 6 inches of paper 20s, for example.

Just always mind your Ps and Qs, keep your paperwork, diversify your operation and be sure you have adequate capital in event of emergencies (like occasional shutdowns).

Originally Posted by Fuerza
I was wondering why things were so easy in ELP compared to the rest of TX.

I too have switched to CB if M$. Points are nice but it would be nice to ramp up my cash flow. The more I learn from this forum and piecing things together the easier it seems to get.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:57 pm

[QUOTE=exmike;22954089]
The low hanging fruit

Last edited by kpd905; Jun 2, 2014 at 6:11 am
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
Now that is what I call big. Some day I might get there.
I think 25K in cash back a year is no longer big. It's advanced level, but no where big. I would say 50 to 75K a year in CB is bag.

Believe it is harder going cash back, but have heard of some holding multiples of the same CB card. Over here we run cash back cards as only 3% of total credit line available in the portfolio.

That said, I will probably try to bring CB up to 6-9% as a percentage of total credit line outstanding .
ADK- I am really surprised that you are your CB cards have such a small amount of your total CL. I thought you would be more like 50% CB and 50% points. BTW, which cards can you get again and again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.