Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of MS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:04 am
jmw

Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
Instead of get all upset about bloggers, I think most MSers should be really worried about fraudsters out there. Fraud is the No.1 existential threat to MS, period. And yet, people generally just ignore about it or pretending it's not an issue.
Get real. That's a bunch of hogwash....

Bloggers have done way more to hurt the hobby than the thieves. If it was fraud that causes a store to say cash only, I'll just go to a different drugstore. A blog can kill whole deals. No more VR. No more HIGC. No more Evolve with a credit card. Etc..... That's why we have private forums and messaging now.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
And yet, people generally just ignore about it or pretending it's not an issue.
Fraud is not a threat. The banks that make all this possible are making so much money that they are happy to absorb the fraud risk. It's been that way since the credit card industry was born.

Now; when the day comes that you and I the consumers are saddled with the risk of fraud, then you might see a change, only because we will all become much more circumspect about using these instruments and the velocity will slow down....

Last edited by MileageAddict; Aug 1, 2014 at 7:31 am Reason: snark-rude comment removed
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by kcblakely
Fraud is not a threat.
This article suggests that fraud and other crime could be a real problem for MS.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/07/...=top-news&_r=0
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:44 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
no it doesnt... all it does is simplify how you load your MPs to your prepaid card... just like you could load Serve @ CVS. thats actually much better for MS.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FTRox87
no it doesnt... all it does is simplify how you load your MPs to your prepaid card... just like you could load Serve @ CVS. thats actually much better for MS.
Yes, it does. Did you read the article? Do you want the Feds to come crashing down on MS because of a crackdown on such cards?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:32 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I read the article and wth are you talking about? get out of your fantasy doom and gloom scenario and start living in the real world. Feds could care less about MS when they have bigger fish to fry.

GD is only concerned about their bottom line. the move to electronic and immediate loading of your prepaid is great for MS, provided the retailer allows CC. no need to mess around with MPs (lost, stolen, fraud) or activation issues. thats the only thing that changes and is great.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:45 pm

The fact that the vast majority of stores that don't accept CC for GC do accept cash *or* debit leads me to believe that the added security of the PIN number is enough for most stores to be comfortable with the greatly reduced level of fraud risk involved. Assuming that fraud is the #1 reason for stores going cash/debit only, one would think that the imminent chip and pin transition would be good for this hobby. On the other hand, it's probably unlikely that any store that's already changed to cash/debit only would revisit this and start allowing credit cards again. Our 1970s-era mag stripe technology with absolutely no encryption has not been kind to MSing.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Several dozen
+1 from this fraud examiner. Another piece of our financial infrastructure built of glass, not steel. And don't get me started on the banks implementing chip and signature, which is just putting out fire with gasoline.

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
Our 1970s-era mag stripe technology with absolutely no encryption has not been kind to MSing.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:33 am

FWIW yesterday I got two automated fraud phone calls for my MS purchases. I haven't had any from these two - ever. I would say the recent home depot breach is causing credit card companies to amp up their fraud detection systems.

It is slightly uncomfortable that my transactions are being flagged as fraudulent purchases - especially when it's just the MS ones.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by mandj
It is slightly uncomfortable that my transactions are being flagged as fraudulent purchases - especially when it's just the MS ones.
Do you normally make purchases at these same stores in dollar amounts similar to that of your MS purchases?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:43 am

MS avenues dying at a fast pace

Seems the popularity in this hobby is certainly growing. I must admit, I am a newcomer and I hope it stays under the radar but I was able to find out, why not others. Plus, I read posts about people MSing with low salaries or even college kids; certainly all income groups are attracted to this opportunity.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore...red%20Spending

I have "plans" and an Excel sheet detailing all of my future spending/liquidation strategies. So far, I've had to pull 3 methods from said sheet
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:54 am

they come and go (mostly go)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:58 am

this hobby should be restricted to high income 'heavy hitters' would MS hundreds of thousands and then all those newbies come in and ruin it with 1 or 2k here and there.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:25 am

Lazy/passive MS is dying somewhat. Otherwise it is about the same.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mandj
Seems the popularity in this hobby is certainly growing.
Well, when you've had people like Mommy points go on Nightline advertising "FREE TRAVEL", what do you expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.