Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kroger Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by jan_believes
On a side note, I don't know if you heard, but in some areas, gas cost is predicted to go up to $3.57 a gallon until Labor Day. At least, regular Kroger shoppers can plan their fuel points for the increase.
The average cost of unleaded for the US is already $3.58/gal... (source: gasbuddy.com)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:17 pm

I don't know the answer to your question. Seems like it would be nice to have both honored at one time. But, I did want to say:

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Thank you! I just got a few new credit cards and stumbled across here doing some research. Very informative posts and information in this forum
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:18 pm

If its a Catalina then there should be no problem using in one transaction. I used to do a lot of couponing, until I realized how much more lucrative this is. I kind of chuckle when I see the people with the binders of coupons, as that was me 4 years ago.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:19 pm

Kroger fuel points can be used at Shell but I think its limited to 10 cents a gallon.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: All of them!
On a side note, I don't know if you heard, but in some areas, gas cost is predicted to go up to $3.57 a gallon until Labor Day, per regional news outlet today on the radio. I think I remember a sign today at $3.39 while driving.

At least, regular Kroger shoppers can plan their fuel points for the increase.
The price of gas is irrelevant to the value of fuel points as they offer a flat $1 off per gallon and not a percentage off. All that matters is how many gallons you buy. Whether gas is at $2 or $5 per gallon, you still save $1 per gallon.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lemma
The price of gas is irrelevant to the value of fuel points as they offer a flat $1 off per gallon and not a percentage off. All that matters is how many gallons you buy. Whether gas is at $2 or $5 per gallon, you still save $1 per gallon.
I only wish there was Kroger gas near me.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by trippinbilly
If its a Catalina then there should be no problem using in one transaction. I used to do a lot of couponing, until I realized how much more lucrative this is. I kind of chuckle when I see the people with the binders of coupons, as that was me 4 years ago.

They are Catalina's that print out at the register after you pay. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to stacking several
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:54 pm

Only $5 of your next purchase? I'll pass.

You'll get $10 of your next purchase at Vons. The promotion runs 03/26/14 - 04/22/14.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigB985
They are Catalina's that print out at the register after you pay. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to stacking several
Does it say 1 per customer or per transaction on the terms of the coupon? In that case, it will be slightly tough to convince the cashier.. Never tried coupons on self checkout kiosk..
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl
Only $5 of your next purchase? I'll pass.

You'll get $10 of your next purchase at Vons. The promotion runs 03/26/14 - 04/22/14.
$10 off? Closest one is 244 miles away. I'll pass.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by Lemma
Oh, well, that's not the experience I had on my trip to a Kroger city.

For me, the cost of the fuel was very relevant. It could be $.20 off p/gal., $.40 off, or higher depending on what my DD's fuel point balance was at the pump at Kroger.

That's why I also used my CCs to buy large retail chain GCs that did provide 2x points (no 4x promotion at the time). Sometimes those points reduced the cost per gallon to as low as $3.09. If my DD needed the lower cost per gallon fillup with her driving to/from jobs on the weekends, I just took the $.03 off per gallon and got what I needed when I was returning the rental car.

Perhaps the region was different as I was never offered $1 off per gallon. Competition isn't the same there as in a large metropolis.

I will delete my gas cost comment so as not to further the off topic conversation here anyway.

Last edited by jan_believes; Apr 10, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Does it say 1 per customer or per transaction on the terms of the coupon? In that case, it will be slightly tough to convince the cashier.. Never tried coupons on self checkout kiosk..
At self checkout at Kroger, you need to bring the coupons to the cashier. You can't scan them yourself.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Doesn't say anything about 1 per customer or per transaction. The only requirement I can see is "Your total shopping order must exceed the amount you are redeeming." I assume this means my order has to be >$5 if redeeming one >$10 redeeming two etc.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigB985
Doesn't say anything about 1 per customer or per transaction. The only requirement I can see is "Your total shopping order must exceed the amount you are redeeming." I assume this means my order has to be >$5 if redeeming one >$10 redeeming two etc.
Thanks.. So, its only a matter of how they are coded so the system will allow to stack..
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: All of them!
Oh, well, that's not the experience I had on my trip.

For me, the cost of the fuel was very relevant. It could be $.20 off p/gal., $.40 off, or higher depending on what my DD's fuel point balance was at the pump.

That's why I also used my CCs to buy large retail chain GCs that did provide 2x points (no 4x promotion at the time). Sometimes those points reduced the cost per gallon to as low as $3.09. If my DD needed the lower cost per gallon fillup with her driving to/from jobs on the weekends, I just took the $.03 off per gallon and got what I needed when I was returning the rental car.

Perhaps the region was different as I was never offered $1 off per gallon.

I will delete my gas cost comment so as not to further the off topic conversation here anyway.
I am assuming that you have 1000 fuel points on your account and have access to a Kroger gas station. If you fill up at one of their affiliate gas stations rather than at a Kroger, the max amount you can redeem may be lower, but $1 max seems to be the nationwide standard for gas stations that are owned by Kroger whether they are associated with a store or standalone. You can find stations that allow you to redeem the points on the Kroger website. Some regions have been known to allow redeeming 2000 points and saving $2 per gallon on a fill-up for promotions, but I haven't seen that in awhile. If you could reduce the price all the way to zero with enough points, higher gas prices would indeed make them more valuable.

In reality, if you have enough fuel points to use 1000 every time you fill up, the points actually become slightly less valuable with a higher price of gas, since you are likely to drive less due to the law of demand and therefore buy fewer gallons that you're saving $1.00 on, although if you would have paid for that extra $1 with Ye Olde Amex Blue, you're really only saving 95 cents.

I don't think that discussing the value of fuel points is too off topic for this thread, considering you earn them for purchasing the fixed value V/MC GC that you buy for the promotion this thread is about - 4x, in fact. This deal is a lot better for those who have the ability to use large amounts of points, via filling up multiple cars to do 35 gallons and/or people who drive a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.