Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

loyal3 free stock trades with credit/debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Limits

As of November 20th, 2014, Loyal3 does not allows purchases of $10, $25 and $50 with a credit card.

Maximum purchase generally limited to $10,000 per IPO and $2,500 per month per non-IPO stock.
No Cash Advance:
Bank of America Virgin Atlantic
Bank of America Alaska Air
Barclaycard Arrival
Capital One (All Cards)
Citi Platinum AAdvantage Visa
Chase Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Chase Marriott
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United Business
US Bank Flex Perks

Cash Advance:
*Data Needed

Placing Orders

- Make sure when you place an order, the funding source is selected as your CC and not the Checking account that it defaults too. Loyal3 won't cancel the buy order, and some have suggested the only way is to put a stop on the amount by contacting your bank.

Current Stocks Available for Trade

*A total of sixty-two (62) as of 10/14/2014
  1. NASDAQ: FOX
  2. NASDAQ: AMZN
  3. NASDAQ: AAPL
  4. NASDAQ: ATVI
  5. NASDAQ: BWLD
  6. NASDAQ: DISCA
  7. NASDAQ: DNKN
  8. NASDAQ: EA
  9. NASDAQ: EIGI
  10. NASDAQ: FB
  11. NASDAQ: FTR
  12. NASDAQ: GPRO
  13. NASDAQ: GOOGL
  14. NASDAQ: HAS
  15. NASDAQ: INTC
  16. NASDAQ: KRFT
  17. NASDAQ: MAT
  18. NASDAQ: MSFT
  19. NASDAQ: MDLZ
  20. NASDAQ: MNST
  21. NASDAQ: PLAY
  22. NASDAQ: SBUX
  23. NASDAQ: VIAB
  24. NASDAQ: YHOO
  25. NYSE: GLOB
  26. NYSE: AMC
  27. NYSE: ANF
  28. NYSE: ARO
  29. NYSE: AEO
  30. NYSE: BABA
  31. NYSE: BUD
  32. NYSE: BRK.B
  33. NYSE: BBY
  34. NYSE: BKW
  35. NYSE: KO
  36. NYSE: DIS
  37. NYSE: DPS
  38. NYSE: GPS
  39. NYSE: HSY
  40. NYSE: HUBS
  41. NYSE: KATE
  42. NYSE: K
  43. NYSE: KSS
  44. NYSE: LB
  45. NYSE: M
  46. NYSE: MCD
  47. NYSE: NKE
  48. NYSE: NOK
  49. NYSE: PVH
  50. NYSE: PEP
  51. NYSE: ZQK
  52. NYSE: RL
  53. NYSE: SC
  54. NYSE: TGT
  55. NYSE: TWX
  56. NYSE: TRUP
  57. NYSE: TWTR
  58. NYSE: UL
  59. NYSE: VFC
  60. NYSE: WMT
  61. NYSE: WWE
  62. NYSE: YUM

IPO's for Trade Now

Print Wikipost

loyal3 free stock trades with credit/debit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:17 pm

Oh, and just to be sure I always login to loyal using a stateside VPN IP. And I have changed CC's four times on one account now, I really think that as long as you aren't buying/selling same day or logging in from a foreigh IP you are fine. For those of you that dont have accounts with trading companies like Ameritrade, Scottrade, etc., what you may not realize is that probably the two most vigoruosly enforced rules the FTC (I assume the FTC) has regarding trading accounts:

1. Must have a PHYSICAL stateside address - Loyal3 is probably using your foreign IP activity to descrimanate against you in order to keep heat from the Feds at bay (stay in compliance). Occasionally is fine, some folks travel international for work, I have accidently logged in sometimes outside my US VPN IP but no issues yet.

2. A "Daytrader" is classified by the FTC (again, assuming its the FTC, its certainly SOME Fed organization) as anyone that buys and sells the same holding on the same day 5 times or more within 5 trading days. (So stay away from buying/selling same day in Loyal as this could be what they are looking to enforce if you have an account with a warning and you think it is due to rapid buying/selling). If you have a namebrand brokerage like Ameritrade, every time you login, if you have ANY same day buy/sells within the last 5 business days, a warning pops up, and it alerts you to the fact that if you break 5 in 5 days you are considered a daytrader and MUST have a minimum account balance of 25k$. Just steer clear of same day buy/sells, so watch your transaction dates on cc buys as they are delayed.

Last edited by vegasthegreat; Apr 28, 2014 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by vegasthegreat

1. Must have a PHYSICAL stateside address - Loyal3 is probably using your foreign IP activity to descrimanate against you in order to keep heat from the Feds at bay (stay in compliance). Occasionally is fine, some folks travel international for work, I have accidently logged in sometimes outside my US VPN IP but no issues yet.

2. A "Daytrader" is classified by the FTC (again, assuming its the FTC, its certainly SOME Fed organization) as anyone that buys and sells the same holding on the same day 5 times or more within 5 trading days. (So stay away from buying/selling same day in Loyal as this could be what they are looking to enforce if you have an account with a warning and you think it is due to rapid buying/selling). If you have a namebrand brokerage like Ameritrade, every time you login, if you have ANY same day buy/sells within the last 5 business days, a warning pops up, and it alerts you to the fact that if you break 5 in 5 days you are considered a daytrader and MUST have a minimum account balance of 25k$. Just steer clear of same day buy/sells, so watch your transaction dates on cc buys as they are delayed.
Its the 4th daytrade within 5 business days that triggers the pattern daytrader rules. You can only have up to 3 roundtrips in 5 days if you have less than $25k. Once or twice a week is enough for me with this company.

I always use a VPN too just to be safe, based on some other data points.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by SammySpade
Its the 4th daytrade within 5 business days that triggers the pattern daytrader rules. You can only have up to 3 roundtrips in 5 days if you have less than $25k. Once or twice a week is enough for me with this company.

Could it be a good faith violation from unsettled funds?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:19 pm

Looked up FINRA and the SEC and did find it to be four as you stated Sammy. Wonder why Ameritrade is telling me not to worry about it till I hit five...

Applies to margin trading and a cash liquidity requirement for the trader. I don't know the law word for word but I suppose it could be seen as applicable in this case by loyal if using a cc to fund your buying.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChessMaster1
I am planning to invest $2500 per month on Apple for 6 consecutive months for a total of 15k...is this a good idea? Is this a good gamble that Apple will release a very innovative product by fall and the stock will increase significantly? I am planning to hold on to Apple for at least 6 months.
I just made some easy money in 5 days...this is so easy
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:30 pm

Not sure I'd call it easy. It has involved a lot of time researching for me and trying to time certain moves. Seems like less effort anyway then I was putting in when doing the vr thing, I would just remind you, you haven't actually MADE the money until you sell!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ChessMaster1
I just made some easy money in 5 days...this is so easy
Did you buy and sell already? Because you haven't made any money until you sell.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SammySpade

Err, from my personal experience, it's impossible to be caught up in such rules via Loyal3. First off, if you purchase via CC, it takes about 2-3 business days for the actual trade to occur. When you sell, it takes another 2-3 business days for funds to be released (settled)
I don't see how you can fall into the "day trade" with them.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:55 pm

Here is what you are missing:

When you put the sell order in, if prior to 2pm Eastern, it goes through the same day, DOES NOT matter that it takes multiple days to cash out to your account and more time to EFT to your bank. SEC and FTC are interested in the TRADE portion alone, so it's not unfeasible that in order to avoid the hassle and the additional paperwork and additional scrutiny that if you end up buying and selling on the same day brings, they may use that as criteria to give your account extra attention.

Look at the platform, I think Loyal is trying to avoid any additional "special" filings involved with trading, things like limiting you to 2500 dollars per stock per month, monitoring your IP, monitoring your cc used, these are all things that COULD be solely targeted at maintaining a certain business model that allows them to offer you stock for free while minimizing their liability when it comes to reporting to the SEC and IRS.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:15 pm

trades out of market price

Data point :

Placed order for $2500 worth of GOOG on 4/28/2014 via credit card.
buys 4.7091 at 530.89, which I take was executed on 4/30/2014.

Problem is...Day's range is 522.52 - 528.00 on 4/30/2014.
In fact, the last 5 days, GOOG has not breeched over $530.00

So can we ascertain that they are in fact purchasing and selling above and below market price to "profit"?
And if so, is this legal? considering that they clearly show that there are no "fees" for trade, but in fact, is built in to the trade.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:43 pm

shingu79,

Google recently had a stock split and you are no longer able to buy GOOG on loyal3. You bought GOOGL which has a range of 529.09 - 536.34 for 4/30/2014. The buy/sell price you usually get tends to hover around the 2:15-2:30 time.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:55 pm

If you're looking for a stock that has very little variance....KO.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by gunner725
shingu79,

Google recently had a stock split and you are no longer able to buy GOOG on loyal3. You bought GOOGL which has a range of 529.09 - 536.34 for 4/30/2014. The buy/sell price you usually get tends to hover around the 2:15-2:30 time.
ahh....THAT makes sense.

Thanks for that!
Old May 7, 2014, 8:10 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Exclamation My Loyal3 Experience

I used Loyal3 after setting up a Google Spreadsheet that automatically tracks all of the stock tickers listed on the platform.

It take 3 business days to fund so you order won't be placed until the morning 3 business days after you place the order

WATCH OUT once you add your checking account information. Like PayPal, your new default setting is to pull money from your checking account. Once you click purchase, it cannot be undone.

I had $70k of stock purchases in 10 days. Most days, I would sell the stock same day if it was over the original purchase price at 1:45 p.m. I would hold stocks under the purchase price. I made $1k this way in cash and $1400 from the credit card spend (Barclays money and points earned valued at $.02 per point).

Money was ready to transfer out of the account at 3 business days after the sale. Funds could be transferred out at a rate of $15k per minute -- their system takes a minute to believe you are not making a duplicate order.

It all seemed too good to be true -- and it was. My account was closed. If I had Googled Loyal3 closed account, then I would have found this thread.

What would I do differently? First, I would only do spending on new cards. This is a PHENOMENAL way to hit the threshold on a new credit card.

Second, I would hold the stocks for at least 30 days. Maybe that is the magic number? If I stuck to the fundamentals of tracking averages and buying "value" companies on the lower end of their 52 week range (below the midpoint) with solid PE ratios it should be safe for me.

Third, I would cycle the money and pay off the card before the 60 days that the statement is due.

Finally, I would buy stocks that have the hearts on them -- those are the only stocks that Loyal3 receives an additional fee from the companies selling them. That supports their business model. I did that even though they were not the safest stocks, but I wanted to support the platform. It paid off for me because I was doing short-term trades.

I hope Loyal3 puts their trading guidelines out on their site because I would be a good customer following their rules. In the meantime, I really recommend to my fellow FlyerTalkers to think with the following mindset: if I buy and sell too quickly, then my account will be closed. That will set a much higher bar for how you trade on the platform.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:29 am

you got extremely lucky. in this market, i wouldn't go long any stock including aapl, msft, wmt. .... could hit the fan anyday now. we're at an all time high and still no jobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.