Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by spgbus
It is hard coded in register to enter DL# for any amount of VGC purchase with CC.
Even purchasing a small Starbucks gift card of $10 or $25 requires entering/scanning DL information. Talk about overly cautious, but it is hard coded and there is no way around it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by shadow520
Yep. My theory is that it's similar to CVS, to enforce the $2000 limit/day at the registers.
Originally Posted by aebulbul
Is this an issue to be weary of?
Is that limit per store? I got a late start on my July MS, so on Friday I stopped at two different Krogers on my way from work to my closest WM with Kate and picked up 3 $500 VGCs at each ($3k total). They entered my DL # into the computer like usual, but I didn't have any issues buying or unloading.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by rcscyto
Data point for Krogers in central Indy:

I went to three different Krogers today. Two Krogers allowed the purchase of the gift card (showed driver's license and all that), but at the third Kroger, they told me that, due to recent credit card fraud, they are no longer accepting credit cards for purchase of gift cards.
Merchants that take Visa and MasterCard cannot contractually refuse to accept them because of fraud committed by other people. File reports with Visa/MasterCard at the links below:

Visa: https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp
MasterCard: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-shopping.html
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:05 pm

Does anyone know the GC limit per checkout at Jewel?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Merchants that take Visa and MasterCard cannot contractually refuse to accept them because of fraud committed by other people. File reports with Visa/MasterCard at the links below:

I saw the visa form, seems they are very old hanging around the web, there has been court decisions in favor of merchants.

You can file those forms, I bet visa cannot do a thing about some of the complaints....
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:52 am

As long as they aren't refusing to see to you because you're of a different race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation, they can do whatever they want and are within their rights to do so.

My golden goose gas station took an $11K loss last week because of a credit card fraud purchasing VGCs. My manager friend was apologetic, but there was nothing he could do - he is now forbidden to sell these on a CC.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:03 am

local Shop'n'save (small grocery chain in IL) stopped to allow cc for vgc purchase; I used to shop at Hy-Vee and buy 1000 vgc (500x2) per time, no problem. Although manager override is definitely needed (no matter how much I purchase, tried 490, still needs manager). Btw I truly like Hy-Vee cashiers. They are always so friendly and cheerful<3
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:05 am

do they always have security camera? suddenly understand why stores are being so careful with vgcs. can't complain...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864

This MIGHT have some effect for some mom & pop store. It's unlikely to have any effect for a large store like Kroger. Visa isn't going to cut Kroger off because they refused to sell someone a gift card, even if it's a violation of their stated policies.

Furthermore, it's entirely possible that large stores like Kroger, Target, etc. have negotiated custom agreements with Visa and MC and aren't bound by the publicly available policies.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:47 pm

Oh baby. Papa just discovered a gold mine I intend to plunder. The joint is loaded to the gills with MB and USB fivers. Shoot, I thought I was gonna need a fainting couch.

Things have been getting kinda sparse at my usual haunts, so I took a little side trip to scout out some places and came up with nothing. Then I went into this place that I ALMOST DROVE ON PAST because I thought they probably didn't have anything.

Never know what you're gonna find at a sleepy little out-of-the-way place.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Southwest, SPG, IHG
Gas/Grocery shops selling VGC's with CC in Iowa

Are there any gas stations/grocery stores in Iowa that allow VGC's to be bought with CC? I tried looking up all the ones that are listed in the wiki (the working ones), and none of them are either in Iowa or near me. I've tried cross referencing the Visa merchant code locator with the website for vgc availability, but all the gas stations I've been to don't allow VGC's to be bought using CC. (I'm especially interested in the gas stations, since I need to max out my Freedom before Sep 30th).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
In rare instances I have been able to buy at Hy-vee gas if you can find one that sells them.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:04 pm
FTA

my USPS is selling $20-$500 variable load Visa and MasterCard. Visa is Blackhawk. Didn't pay attention to MasterCard. $5.95 fee. Paid with credit card
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by CRNA
Does anyone know the GC limit per checkout at Jewel?
YMMV, but the Jewel next to me just started limiting to $2000 a day. I can buy one gift card at a time and not need the Mangers "key". If you try to buy 2 at a time the Manager has to turn the key to accept payment. Manager told that Homeland Security is making them take down our information for anything over $1000 sale in GC. I filled out the paper work, but did not give them my SS # like it asked for. Instead used my DL#. NEVER give your Soc. #!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:28 am

I was able to take advantage of this week's WAG VGC sale in a store that previously had a one $500 card limit and without a fuss, if I may add. It was a different cashier. Brought her the 2 VGCs then pointed out the ad and to my surprise she said, "Sure". Finally! On top of that, I paid with AP. Couldn't be happier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.