Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by newaroundhere
I believe Sunrise is Bancorp - but in any case I tried this morning and it did not work.
Incorrect. Sunrise is a small bank chain in Minnesota.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:09 pm

This afternoon I called to pay my Citi Biz visa with a debit card, and the Citi agent over the phone said that they can't take debit card for payment anymore.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
This afternoon I called to pay my Citi Biz visa with a debit card, and the Citi agent over the phone said that they can't take debit card for payment anymore.
HUCA
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 pm

called this morning with citi AA exec- made payment no problem
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:14 pm

Just made a payment.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:50 am

It's amazing how many of these we get in a thread. Can someone edit the Wiki post? I don't have those privileges as of yet.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Edited
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Tmobile debit card payment on Citicard

Has anyone been warned or blocked by Tmobile-Bancorp after using the T-card to pay for Citi over the phone? Does it appear as a debit transaction?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:31 pm

Called and make a payment via my "teen's" TD Buxx who is an authorized user on the card, however the rep did require to speak with the authorized user to get the debit card information.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kylash
Called and make a payment via my "teen's" TD Buxx who is an authorized user on the card, however the rep did require to speak with the authorized user to get the debit card information.

Did they want to speak to the teen about the payment? or the parent? as from my understanding Both are authorized and for all those that actually have the acct with the parent and teen as the same person then they are asking to speak to you anyway (which would indeed seem strange to the rep).
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:42 pm

Is it advisable if I loaded the Buxx card with a Citi CC and then pay off the same Citi CC bill using the same buxx card that it was loaded into?? Not sure if citi is checking what you are paying off or if they don't really care. Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:56 pm

deleted
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Kylash
Strange. They just asked if I was an authorized user and I said yes, and that was it.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by sharka
Is it advisable if I loaded the Buxx card with a Citi CC and then pay off the same Citi CC bill using the same buxx card that it was loaded into?? Not sure if citi is checking what you are paying off or if they don't really care. Thanks
While it may raise some flags, I dont see why citi would care. They're making money off the swipe fee for the load, so if anything its the buxx issuing bank that might get pissed
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
how often can some one use a debit card to pay the credit card? So if i used it today, could i use another debit card tomorrow?

I was able to use my TD Buxx today to pay the Citi Exec card. Agent was in Fl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.