Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:15 pm

There are still some cashiers there @safeway to ring it with CC. But I amd feeling guilty and taking advantage of them. Today I had option of taking another 2k with friendly cashier. My MS brain is asking me go for it but I stopped. I am done with it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Bought one at Safeway today and a second one was stuck to it so I walked out with one unactivated. Took it across the street to a Giant that doesn't sell them but I figured I'd test it since some Giants still have the old grey cards in stock so it should still be in their system. Took it to the CS desk and asked her if she'd try it. She did, loaded $500 and it went though without a problem. Takes longer for the funds to become available than Safeway but I loaded it to a T-Mo card. Now if I could only find a supply of unactivated ReloadIts...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Besides for me, I usually use my Tmobile card to buy really small things (a drink, some gum, etc, things that are < $5) at wholesale stores like WM, Target, etc that do not qualify for 5% bonus categories anyways. The majority of CCs out there don't give you 5% bonus pts when you shop in-store for Target or WM or any of the other wholesale stores.
Not 100% accurate. Visa and MasterCard codes as 5% at some WM and Targets that are Super(Center) stores (i.e. with grocery). I do it all the time. Amex, of course, does not unless it's a Neighborhood Walmart.

However, I agree with your post. I was thinking of using my T-Mobile as my fast food card. Those are usually small purchases and I won't have a 5% category for that next quarter.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Not 100% accurate. Visa and MasterCard codes as 5% at some WM and Targets that are Super(Center) stores (i.e. with grocery). I do it all the time. Amex, of course, does not unless it's a Neighborhood Walmart.

However, I agree with your post. I was thinking of using my T-Mobile as my fast food card. Those are usually small purchases and I won't have a 5% category for that next quarter.
Can you tell me who is offering 5% cash back with grocery on WM and Target. I am interested to know that. PM me if you prefer. Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
WF did on their 5% card.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So I'm finally going to send in my paperwork today. Been so busy that I haven't had time to grab everything. Luckily they only wanted April receipts and it just so turns out that that was my first month. Thus only 1 receipt. I hope this is quick and painless. Any information on how long it takes for them to remove a block after you send in information?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:04 am

So I'm finally going to send in my paperwork today. Been so busy that I haven't had time to grab everything. Luckily they only wanted April receipts and it just so turns out that that was my first month. Thus only 1 receipt. I hope this is quick and painless. Any information on how long it takes for them to remove a block after you send in information?
They have to call you back but usually like 2-3 business days or so. I mean you have only have 1 receipt. It shouldn't take them that long.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
They have to call you back but usually like 2-3 business days or so. I mean you have only have 1 receipt. It shouldn't take them that long.
Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:35 am

Isn't giving them a receipt a problem? Why do they need it? I believe they want to know how you bought the reload, with cash or CC. I was recently shut down and they want all my receipts for the last month! I told them I toss them as soon as I load and it's listed on their site. They insisted I return to the store and ask for a copy of receipt.
BTW, I did a couple of billpay at WM and some MO and bb/serve loads as well (I wanted to save the GC fee and avoid WM giving me a hard time over using GC to load. I live in a highly concentrated MS area.). Nothing major, between 8-10k over 6 weeks.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyCash
Isn't giving them a receipt a problem? Why do they need it? I believe they want to know how you bought the reload, with cash or CC. I was recently shut down and they want all my receipts for the last month! I told them I toss them as soon as I load and it's listed on their site. They insisted I return to the store and ask for a copy of receipt.
BTW, I did a couple of billpay at WM and some MO and bb/serve loads as well (I wanted to save the GC fee and avoid WM giving me a hard time over using GC to load. I live in a highly concentrated MS area.). Nothing major, between 8-10k over 6 weeks.
Depending on the card though, a receipt wouldn't necessarily tell how you paid for debit or credit card. Amex would be 100% credit but Visa or MasterCard could be either. I'm actually glad that I saved that receipt but I do throw them away a lot too. Never had a reason to keep them especially after the load/unload is successful.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:54 am

Depending on the card though, a receipt wouldn't necessarily tell how you paid for debit or credit card. Amex would be 100% credit but Visa or MasterCard could be either. I'm actually glad that I saved that receipt but I do throw them away a lot too. Never had a reason to keep them especially after the load/unload is successful.
Can't they tell from 1st 4 or 8 digits if it's credit or debit? Evolve and square can?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
The problem is, it isn't cash if it has a card listed, and that is probably what they are looking for.

If you are sending them receipts of your Reloadit purchases, they have to be trying to identify the stores that are not selling as cash only.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyCash
Can't they tell from 1st 4 or 8 digits if it's credit or debit? Evolve and square can?
The receipt only shows the last 4 digits.

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
The problem is, it isn't cash if it has a card listed, and that is probably what they are looking for.

If you are sending them receipts of your Reloadit purchases, they have to be trying to identify the stores that are not selling as cash only.
Possibly but debit kind of is cash. I know that stores that have turned down credit card tend to say "Cash or debit".
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn

this is an interesting point. i dont get why they would care what form anyone paid for the reloadit, in the store.

as long as, for example, grocery storeX takes 500 from you, plus the fee, and hands that 500 over to them, why would they care cash vs non cash.

if they have a concern that people are paying for a reloadit with non-cash, they should know where any particular card was sold/loaded. i would guess that worst case they would know that they handed over a range of cards to grocery storeX and that the non-cash sales were being done there. for example, if they only got 500-cc processing fees, then i could see them being pissed. but how likely is it that they cant tell where the cards are being sold for non-cash, and talk to their partners and put the hammer down?

if, the dolts actually didnt or dont have a firm agreement with their vendors, that cash and cash only is allowed, why not pull the cards from non complying vendors?

more likely, knowing the dickishness of bancorp, that they are just being dicks? they just want to lock up your $$ for contraventions of their unwritten code of dickadishu justice and random bank rules they didnt think about first before rolling out products.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:13 pm

I guess the question is who eats the swipe fees. I would assume that it's the store so Bancorp shouldn't care about the form of payment. My initial thoughts were that they want your receipts so they can verify that it's actually you loading the card and not someone who stole it. However, that is going/hoping on the side of it being a true "risk/fraud" alert vs "OMG they are scamming the system!" alert.

Hopefully my money isn't locked up too long. I have a little over a grand in there. Sure easy to float but just would rather not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.