Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sechs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

2/25/2015 - Single payment limit raised to $2999 when using credit or debit cards. Maximum payments per calendar month per individual biller account raised from 1 to 4.

2/18/2015 - Beginning next week, certain debit cards from smaller banks, as well as prepaid debit cards and gift cards will be subject to a 3 percent Bill Pay Fee on each payment.

Evolve now accepts Discover, Visa and Mastercard credit cards with 3% fee.

Debit Cards Not Charged the 3% Fee:
  • Insert here
  • US Bank (but not prepaid)

Transaction Limits:
http://www.evolvemoney.com/transaction-limits/

Daily dollar limits include:
  • $2,999.00 in payments funded by a debit card and/or credit card
  • $999.00 in payments funded by a cash load pack

Individual bill pay dollar limits include:
  • $2999.00 for a single bill funded by a debit card and/or credit card
  • $999.00 for a single bill funded by a cash load pack

Monthly payment limits include:
  • 4 payments per month using a credit or debit card within the dollar limits listed above.
  • Unlimited number of payments per month using a cash load pack within the dollar limits listed above.
  • Maximum of $10,000 total payments per month for credit, debit, and cash load packs combined.

The limits are based on charge date, not payment date.

There are currently no credit cards that can be paid via Evolve.

Tips for Using Evolve
  • No need to register your debit card
  • If your transaction does not go through, you will have to wait for the authorization to fall off your card
  • Using multiple Evolve accounts paying the same biller may lead to your biller being permanently blocked
  • If using GCs with the new scheduling feature, it is important to schedule in such a way that it says your card will be charged today (not on a future date) to prevent a decline; and if you want to avoid the Express Pay fee this also means typically scheduling a few days out (click each date to find one without the fee but still charges your card today).

Mortgages Section
Let us know if payments auto apply to principal or if you have to call

Bank of America: After making 4 payments over the weekend you MUST call (or use online banking messaging) to allocate funds to the regular payment - by default it goes to principal.

Central Mortgage: Appears to go to additional principal payment. YMMV

Chase: Payments with JPMorgan have to fall within a ~5-day window in order for them to be unallocated, otherwise they go to principal. Your window depends on the billing date (usually the 1st of the month). If so, the window is until the 5th, so using Evolve, you have to allow for the payment to post and have it post between ~the 1st and the 5th. PITA

Citi: Made two payments near the end of the month and these were originally "unapplied" and labeled as "additional funds received". A day or two afterwards they moved to principal payments. A quick call to Citi had the payments moved from principal to make up my monthly mortgage payment.

Nationstar Mortgage: Payment applied as an "Additional principal payment" if you sent before the 1st of the month. If you pay after the first, the payment is held until you submit the full payment amount, and then the whole thing is applied to your monthly payment.

PNC: Partial payments will be held aside until payment in full is made. They will send a letter.

Provident Funding: Does not accept partial payments. After month's mortgage is paid, accepts Evolve a additional principal payments.

US Bank: Made 4 payments in June; after a couple of days, payments moved from principal payment to applying to monthly payment w/o a call

Wells Fargo: Two $500 payments day 1, One $500 payment day 2 going over the actual mortgage payment amount due. The payment automatically combined itself to pay the exact amount due once the Third hit. Any amount that was overpaid subsequently went towards principal. Nice to not have to send in the Exact amount, if you don't mind paying some extra principal.

"If you have any problems with gift cards please send us an email at support [at] evolvemoney.com" [Source: AlexAtEvolveMoney]
Print Wikipost

Evolve Money

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by givingitatry
Because I get 6% back buying the debit card from grocery store vs 1% back from USAA. That 5% difference allows me to buy 5 other debit cards with my miles earning cards basically for free.
You use the debit cards your purchase and pay your USAA insurance bill directly on the USAA site...

No need for evolve.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, HH, MR, Emirates
I've been using Evolve over the past few months with OVs and they work fine. I've read the wiki and it mentioned the card must say debit, but at the beginning of this thread it seems other GCs were working. Do retailer GCs stop working? I have a few- received as gifts-and would like to liquidate them.
Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Evolve Money

Lol yeah I liquidated some Taco Bell cards the other day. Not really.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exarkun
You use the debit cards your purchase and pay your USAA insurance bill directly on the USAA site...
No need for evolve.
Thanks very much for that comment. I don't have USAA insurance, but a lightbulb went on when I read your post and I looked something up.

I have Long Term Care insurance from Genworth. LTC isn't cheap stuff, and I pay a fairly hefty bill once yearly for both my wife and myself. I never have found a way to use a credit card to pay Genworth. (This year I wrote a Bluebird check - that was the best I could think of.) But lo and behold, Genworth LTC insurance is a payee on Evolve.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by givingitatry
Here is my observation. I had been able to pay my insurance with USAA until the recent change for free. Now however there is a lightening bolt next to the USAA tag in my bills listing. Before I had the choice to add as express or non express. Now it is combined and defaults to express. Trying to schedule for next day charge to debit fails. My other bills still work fine.
I see the same for Southern California Gas Company. Selecting today gives the Express fee, so you have to choose a date in the future to avoid the fee. I haven't tried a future payment for it, but I expect it would behave the same as you note.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
What the heck happened with EM? It was just fine last week!? And now my VGC payments are being declined. I am CONFUSED with the new interface. I DON'T Want to schedule payments?!!?!?! So I rescheduled my bill to be charged on 8/1 (Today) and it shows up on the GCM site and wiped out the $200 (says pending) but it is followed up with a row saying it is Declined? So does this mean my $ is locked for a few days after this cleared or will it go through? Man.... had a feeling EM was tgtbt =(
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:08 am

I hope this helps. If you are trying to pay a bill that is now a combined express/nonexpress bill with a gift card then you'll have to click through the due dates and fin one that says you will be charged on <today>:

I am trying to pay a utility bill and I have the same problem that if I select today (8/1) as my due date then I have to pay the express fee of $1.50, but I get charged today.

I clicked due date of tomorrow (8/2) and it says I will be charged on 8/2, but I assume it'll get rejected since I'm using a Staples rebate card.

I clicked through the dates and when I select due date of 8/5, it says I will be charged today (8/1). I paid my bill with the 8/5 due date and the prepaid balance website says Evolve charged my card today!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by fr33b13
I hope this helps. If you are trying to pay a bill that is now a combined express/nonexpress bill with a gift card then you'll have to click through the due dates and fin one that says you will be charged on <today>:

I am trying to pay a utility bill and I have the same problem that if I select today (8/1) as my due date then I have to pay the express fee of $1.50, but I get charged today.

I clicked due date of tomorrow (8/2) and it says I will be charged on 8/2, but I assume it'll get rejected since I'm using a Staples rebate card.

I clicked through the dates and when I select due date of 8/5, it says I will be charged today (8/1). I paid my bill with the 8/5 due date and the prepaid balance website says Evolve charged my card today!
In my experience 5-7 days
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
So does this mean my $ is locked for a few days
not to worry, the pending authorization disappears after 8 days.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:53 am

I've been having issues using OVG this week. Here's the recent email I received from EM:

A Note About Scheduled Payments
Last week we rolled out Evolve Money's new scheduling feature which allows you to select the date you would like your payments delivered.

Some of you may have encountered difficulties scheduling and making payments last weekend. There is an issue that does not allow a user to pay a non-Express bill over a weekend without scheduling it. However, certain cards cannot be used for scheduling - primarily gift cards and some prepaid debit cards. Therefore, you may have had an issue making a payment with a gift or prepaid card due to this situation. We expect the bug to be resolved by Friday and should not be problem again this weekend.

Unfortunately, gift and certain prepaid cards (typically one-time use prepaid cards) cannot be used for scheduled payments due to circumstances beyond our control. The decision to allow scheduled payments is made by the bank that issues your gift or prepaid card.

However, you CAN use gift and prepaid cards to pay your bills as long as they are charged the same day. You can confirm the charge date below the date selection box (see image below).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:18 am

Great advice, thank you! So in short, the trick is to schedule your payment in such a way so that it says your card is being charged today and involves no express fee. This usually means scheduling payment a few days out
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When do these guys realize it's time for a straight-up rollback to the old system?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
When do these guys realize it's time for a straight-up rollback to the old system?
Quite honestly, their update helps non-MS customers who use their bank funded debit cards for billpay and now can schedule their payments in advance. It messes with prepaid cards so it makes things confusing for us. We'll get by
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
What the heck happened with EM? It was just fine last week!? And now my VGC payments are being declined. I am CONFUSED with the new interface. I DON'T Want to schedule payments?!!?!?! So I rescheduled my bill to be charged on 8/1 (Today) and it shows up on the GCM site and wiped out the $200 (says pending) but it is followed up with a row saying it is Declined? So does this mean my $ is locked for a few days after this cleared or will it go through? Man.... had a feeling EM was tgtbt =(
You might want to read the last page or two of posts.

Gift cards will decline your charge if you try to schedule the payment a few days in advance. Evolve doesn't control this. There's also a warning about it when you try to make a payment, "Gift cards and one time use pre-paid debit cards cannot be used to make payments more than 1-2 business days in advance. If attempted, the bank that issues the card may decline your payment."
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:11 am

Thanks for the post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.