Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Anyone already done with their Chase Freedom 5% at gas stations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone already done with their Chase Freedom 5% at gas stations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's been talked about in the MS fourm, it appears that the registars at 7/11's are hard wired NOT to accept CC for GC... There are people who say other wise, but these people haven't posted a photo of the receipt showing other wise. I myself have been shot down at 11 different 7/11's in AZ, CA.... In fact I have talked 4 clerks to just give it a try and the register doesn't allow it to happen.
Registers in VA are hard coded to not accept CC for VR. The same registers allowed me to purchase PP with CC in Winchester & Fredericksburg, VA. I have found that all local 7-11s allow me to purchase one vanilla visa variables with CC, although it seems that the 7-11 system will only activate one at a time. I tried to purchase 2 at $500 each in one transaction yesterday and it only allowed one GC to be activated per transaction. I used CSP and WF and got same result.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
7-11 in Los Angeles area has happy holidays vanilla visa 50-500 not the normal 20-500 with 4.95 most won't try and say cash only but there are some whom sell them
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:35 pm

Yes no

Last edited by 22calbr; Jan 25, 2014 at 1:42 pm Reason: answered my own q
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:33 am

Well, I've managed to burn a whole chain of gas stations here, apparently they are all owned by the same guy, so it only worked for 1 day. Anyone know any gas stations in the southeast that will take CC?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Chris92128
Could anyone PM with some gas locations in San Diego where CC is accepted? I've had luck with CVS but I am trying to get the 5x freedom bonus for the gas stations. I've gotten shut down at a couple of 7-11s where they have said cash only.
+1. Would appreciate a PM for anyone with luck in San Diego/Orange County. I've tried a couple of 7-11 and they're all cash. Ended up just getting some Amazon gift cards that I needed, but no luck on VGC or cash cards.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
It would be so nice if we could just buy cards online and have them code as gas, but guess this does not count! http://www.buyshellgiftcards.com/Con...urchasing.aspx

So far I have only been able to buy GAS!!!
JudyJFLA
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Since others have stated areas of need, my son has the Freedom and sure could use a boost.

Anyplace in SAT that will accept CC for the Vanilla Card or VR? Please advise and thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by crapz1
+1. Would appreciate a PM for anyone with luck in San Diego/Orange County. I've tried a couple of 7-11 and they're all cash. Ended up just getting some Amazon gift cards that I needed, but no luck on VGC or cash cards.
IME, the register will accept CC for VGC, but the higher-ranking employees will insist on cash only. Try swinging by at odd hours, like Sunday evenings, when they've got the new kids on the register. And be nice! If they act unsure or confused, prompt gently--"maybe we could try it and if it doesn't work no big deal?"
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by wvums
Registers in VA are hard coded to not accept CC for VR. The same registers allowed me to purchase PP with CC in Winchester & Fredericksburg, VA. I have found that all local 7-11s allow me to purchase one vanilla visa variables with CC, although it seems that the 7-11 system will only activate one at a time. I tried to purchase 2 at $500 each in one transaction yesterday and it only allowed one GC to be activated per transaction. I used CSP and WF and got same result.
This is mostly true of my experience too. Somebody figured out that the registers have a timer built in, so that you might need to space out the transactions by an hour or so. Maybe get one card on your way to do some other errands, and the second on your way home?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by prokopon
IME, the register will accept CC for VGC, but the higher-ranking employees will insist on cash only. Try swinging by at odd hours, like Sunday evenings, when they've got the new kids on the register. And be nice! If they act unsure or confused, prompt gently--"maybe we could try it and if it doesn't work no big deal?"
MHO: What if this kid is just starting out, is right on the cusp as far as proving himself (lot of apps for this position just waiting) and doing something like this (accepting a CC when he shouldn't) shoves him out the door?

And, recommended to be nice when he/she acts "confused"...?

As much as I would like to find a GS who accepts CC payment for these, I couldn't concur.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 4, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:14 pm
Suspended

No luck at a Cumberland Farms today.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
No luck at a Cumberland Farms today.
why not? denied by cashier or system?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crapz1
I fly into SNA on a reg basis and for the longest time havent been able to purchase anything at any 7. If I drive a couple of miles out of OC no problem at all, a few times they say I think its ca$h only, but when I counter lets run it and see they say no problem. Around LA itself never heard ca$h only
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
why not? denied by cashier or system?
I brought up all of my picked strawberries and the ....... tried to tell me that I couldn't pay for them with a credit card.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
I brought up all of my picked strawberries and the ....... tried to tell me that I couldn't pay for them with a credit card.
Same here, got denied in NJ , cash only for all kinda gc except their own..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.