Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:20 pm

has anyone tried using coin instead of VGCs?

would it even work?

plastc will be coming out in 2016
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Explosive
Just had some issues reloading at my Neighborhood Walmart. I had loaded $500 giftcards.com giftcard earlier at another Walmart (Supercenter). Went through fine.

I have 2x $500 Simon GC.

I loaded the first one okay. Everything went through. And when I tried to load the second one, the transaction got declined.

So I got only $1000 loaded total today. Isn't Bluebird supposed to be a $2500 limit?
$2000.00 limit loading at the MC, 2500.00 limit loading with KATE at all of my WMs
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
$2000.00 limit loading at the MC, 2500.00 limit loading with KATE at all of my WMs
Do your Kate's show a message that you can load $1.00 to $1000.00 ?
I assumed I could only load 2x $500 on my Serve card because of this...
I think when I try to load a third, it errors every time (and I KNOW it's not the velocity threshold because I have sat on a bench and no one touched the machine for the full 10 minutes)
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:08 am

Screen on every Kate that I have used in Southeast US has always been $1000 per day limit. You can do $2500 per day if you use register or MC.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Screen on every Kate that I have used in Southeast US has always been $1000 per day limit. You can do $2500 per day if you use register or MC.
Gotcha, TY. That's what I do if I have more than 2 to load.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Avios, WN RR, IHG
Originally Posted by cruisr
Originally Posted by tuphat
Hmm odd. I loaded purely from registers yesterday. And I still only managed to get $1k before the load was declined.

Edit: Went back and loaded the other $500 today and it worked.

Last edited by Explosive; Aug 29, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cdog999
Ugh. Bad experience today. Went to WM#1 that is close to me. Grabbed 10 Sunnies. Found a nice cashier. 2 of the Sunnies worked fine. Other 8 would not register (she thinks there may have been a bad batch). Went back got other Sunnies in different container types. Waited in long ... line. Nice cashier left and was replaced by a idiot. He called over a manager as he was very confused. Went through a big thing about needing forms of ids, etc. Finally they sent me to Money Center. Money Center would only ring up as debit.

Went to WM#2, found nice cashier. Went to buy sunnie #1, approved on AGC, declined at end of transaction, sunnie #2 processes fine, sunnie #3 same issue as sunnie #1 it took off my AGC, but then came back with "DEBIT NOT APPROVED CALL AUTHORIZER". Got a printout from Walmart Customer Service of the 2 declines (as it didn't print out a receipt at the register). Anything I need to do to make sure I get my money back on my Amex Gift Cards? I heard I will have to wait 7 days from Amex.

Its very odd, I even got to the point where I sign my name and everything. Amex authorized the payment, but then the transaction declines. But, then it works fine the next time. Wondering if the cashier entered something different on her end.
I was under the impression that AGC do not work at Walmart. This is from Frequent Miler's blog:

"Q: Can I use these gift cards to load Bluebird at Walmart?
A: No. Amex gift cards can be used as credit cards, but not as debit cards. You cannot setup a PIN. You cannot use them to load Bluebird, buy money orders, or pay bills at Walmart."

I even ran into the same thing trying to load my husband's Redbird (since it's a debit card) onto my Bluebird. Kept coming up as credit, not debit. Didn't work at cashier so went to Money Center and after several tries it dawned on all of us that Amex will not work with Bluebird.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I was under the impression that AGC do not work at Walmart. This is from Frequent Miler's blog:

"Q: Can I use these gift cards to load Bluebird at Walmart?
A: No. Amex gift cards can be used as credit cards, but not as debit cards. You cannot setup a PIN. You cannot use them to load Bluebird, buy money orders, or pay bills at Walmart."

I even ran into the same thing trying to load my husband's Redbird (since it's a debit card) onto my Bluebird. Kept coming up as credit, not debit. Didn't work at cashier so went to Money Center and after several tries it dawned on all of us that Amex will not work with Bluebird.
the bolded part is where you are mistaken, your RBs are not debit cards, even if they are PIN enabled. the PIN is strictly for atm w/d.

Paying the VGCs with AGCs is also YMMV, some WMs will take them, others won't.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
the bolded part is where you are mistaken, your RBs are not debit cards, even if they are PIN enabled. the PIN is strictly for atm w/d.

Paying the VGCs with AGCs is also YMMV, some WMs will take them, others won't.
Thanks. You're right, I was mistaken. Thought both Bluebird and Redcard were debit cards.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Good point. That is commonly assumed and mistaken.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:51 pm

Visited fav WM today and loaded 3 VGC to Bluebird. Traveling for a few day. When we stopped for dinner I noticed WM a few blocks down road. Stopped in to get a VGC and then load to Bluebird. That store had a WMC machine (Kate?). The first one I've ever seen. Great I can try it. Screen pops up that loads of $1-$1000 daily limit so I don't even try since I've already loaded $1500 for the day. Get in car and have DH look up daily limits because I thought it was $2k. Will stop at store on way home in a few days.

Buying the VGC wasn't without it's drama. As soon as clerk touches it she says cash only on these. I say I've gotten them at other stores other ways. She pushes back that it won't work with a card. I say can we give it a try. It goes through fine.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Visited fav WM today and loaded 3 VGC to Bluebird. Traveling for a few day. When we stopped for dinner I noticed WM a few blocks down road. Stopped in to get a VGC and then load to Bluebird. That store had a WMC machine (Kate?). The first one I've ever seen. Great I can try it. Screen pops up that loads of $1-$1000 daily limit so I don't even try since I've already loaded $1500 for the day. Get in car and have DH look up daily limits because I thought it was $2k. Will stop at store on way home in a few days.

Buying the VGC wasn't without it's drama. As soon as clerk touches it she says cash only on these. I say I've gotten them at other stores other ways. She pushes back that it won't work with a card. I say can we give it a try. It goes through fine.
I've started to see that on the Kate I normally use. I interpreted that as a "per transaction" limit. I definitely was able to load more that $1k during my visit the last time too.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Heads up: Was just at a store that's usually sold out but had just restocked. Got five of the "Walmart Visa Gift Cards" that were packaged like Sunnies, but they're issued by Green Dot Bank, Provo, UT. This is the Happy Holidays design.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Heads up: Was just at a store that's usually sold out but had just restocked. Got five of the "Walmart Visa Gift Cards" that were packaged like Sunnies, but they're issued by Green Dot Bank, Provo, UT. This is the Happy Holidays design.
But does KATE allow you to insert Greenies into her ?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hbax
But does KATE allow you to insert Greenies into her ?
:/ Not sure. I know my KATE won't let me put it inside her anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.