FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:46 pm
gardengirl

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cdog999
Ugh. Bad experience today. Went to WM#1 that is close to me. Grabbed 10 Sunnies. Found a nice cashier. 2 of the Sunnies worked fine. Other 8 would not register (she thinks there may have been a bad batch). Went back got other Sunnies in different container types. Waited in long ... line. Nice cashier left and was replaced by a idiot. He called over a manager as he was very confused. Went through a big thing about needing forms of ids, etc. Finally they sent me to Money Center. Money Center would only ring up as debit.

Went to WM#2, found nice cashier. Went to buy sunnie #1, approved on AGC, declined at end of transaction, sunnie #2 processes fine, sunnie #3 same issue as sunnie #1 it took off my AGC, but then came back with "DEBIT NOT APPROVED CALL AUTHORIZER". Got a printout from Walmart Customer Service of the 2 declines (as it didn't print out a receipt at the register). Anything I need to do to make sure I get my money back on my Amex Gift Cards? I heard I will have to wait 7 days from Amex.

Its very odd, I even got to the point where I sign my name and everything. Amex authorized the payment, but then the transaction declines. But, then it works fine the next time. Wondering if the cashier entered something different on her end.
I was under the impression that AGC do not work at Walmart. This is from Frequent Miler's blog:

"Q: Can I use these gift cards to load Bluebird at Walmart?
A: No. Amex gift cards can be used as credit cards, but not as debit cards. You cannot setup a PIN. You cannot use them to load Bluebird, buy money orders, or pay bills at Walmart."

I even ran into the same thing trying to load my husband's Redbird (since it's a debit card) onto my Bluebird. Kept coming up as credit, not debit. Didn't work at cashier so went to Money Center and after several tries it dawned on all of us that Amex will not work with Bluebird.