Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

The Walmart near me normally only stocks the variable load MC's and the register doesn't allow payment via cc. With the holidays approaching, there are now new gift card racks and they have variable load Visa cards with a $4.94 fee. These cards are issued by Sunrise Bank. I purchased one yesterday with my cc and was able to go back and load it to my BB today.

After loading I purchased another one and paid for it with my Amex GC. The register did ask for the last three on the back of the card but it went through. The nice thing about this is that my Walmart never asks to see my id. I have had CVS employees look at my Amex GC weird when I pay for it as they have to look at the card.

The packages states that the you must register is before use but that is not necessary. The real question is how fast does it activate. It would be nice to purchase, open package, and then load to BB/GB.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:57 am

Typically, when cc is allowed, it means that walmart gc is also allowed.

Now that is more interesting.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:16 am

what is the procedure for setting PIN on the sunrise cards?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blt7cd
what is the procedure for setting PIN on the sunrise cards?
It's the last four of the card and it says that on the package.

Originally Posted by godsquare
Typically, when cc is allowed, it means that walmart gc is also allowed.

Now that is more interesting.
If it does work, this will be a case of YMMV as you have to hand the cashier the gc to scan.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Corridor!
It's the last four of the card and it says that on the package.

If it does work, this will be a case of YMMV as you have to hand the cashier the gc to scan.
do all stores require the gift card to be handed to cashier for scan?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Corridor!
The Walmart near me normally only stocks the variable load MC's and the register doesn't allow payment via cc. With the holidays approaching, there are now new gift card racks and they have variable load Visa cards with a $4.94 fee. These cards are issued by Sunrise Bank. I purchased one yesterday with my cc and was able to go back and load it to my BB today.

After loading I purchased another one and paid for it with my Amex GC. The register did ask for the last three on the back of the card but it went through. The nice thing about this is that my Walmart never asks to see my id. I have had CVS employees look at my Amex GC weird when I pay for it as they have to look at the card.

The packages states that the you must register is before use but that is not necessary. The real question is how fast does it activate. It would be nice to purchase, open package, and then load to BB/GB.
Can anyone please post the results of attempting to pay with Walmart gift cards? I have some in the mail and will try it myself when I get a chance.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:37 am

Let me state the obvious, people -- please do not buy a gift card, stand around opening the packaging in the store, then walk over to the moneycenter and unload. At least leave the store for a couple minutes. WM employees may not always be the brightest bulbs but they'll catch on if you make it that obvious.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
I bought vgc before since about april, but recently registers started to accept debit or cash only. So I gave up on those.
Unfinished due to not paying in debit/cash transaction requires managers attention/key to cancel it.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pier11
I bought vgc before since about april, but recently registers started to accept debit or cash only. So I gave up on those.
Unfinished due to not paying in debit/cash transaction requires managers attention/key to cancel it.
This is what happened to me when I tried to purchase variable MC gift cards. It actually tells the cashier that you have to purchase the item alone.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Let me state the obvious, people -- please do not buy a gift card, stand around opening the packaging in the store, then walk over to the moneycenter and unload. At least leave the store for a couple minutes. WM employees may not always be the brightest bulbs but they'll catch on if you make it that obvious.
yeap. store nearby just re-stocked,

saves a lot of time to just go and load your gobank
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by atxtravel
Can anyone please post the results of attempting to pay with Walmart gift cards? I have some in the mail and will try it myself when I get a chance.
It worked for me a few months ago. I cashed out a few K of walmart GCs that way.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
It worked for me a few months ago. I cashed out a few K of walmart GCs that way.
You tried those sunrise bank cards? I attempted to buy the regular vanilla GCs and the registers wouldn't allow it.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
My WM Neighborhood Market has variable load Visas and is coded as a grocery store.

BTW, why does everyone have WM GCs?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Several dozen
Because you can't discount their utility.

Originally Posted by ncSam
BTW, why does everyone have WM GCs?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: DL, WoH
So I guess the purchase third party gift card, with WM GC is YMMV? I know you can do it online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.