FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-through-2016-a.html)

Corridor! Nov 10, 2013 9:44 am

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

The Walmart near me normally only stocks the variable load MC's and the register doesn't allow payment via cc. With the holidays approaching, there are now new gift card racks and they have variable load Visa cards with a $4.94 fee. These cards are issued by Sunrise Bank. I purchased one yesterday with my cc and was able to go back and load it to my BB today.

After loading I purchased another one and paid for it with my Amex GC. The register did ask for the last three on the back of the card but it went through. The nice thing about this is that my Walmart never asks to see my id. I have had CVS employees look at my Amex GC weird when I pay for it as they have to look at the card.

The packages states that the you must register is before use but that is not necessary. The real question is how fast does it activate. It would be nice to purchase, open package, and then load to BB/GB.

godsquare Nov 10, 2013 9:57 am

Typically, when cc is allowed, it means that walmart gc is also allowed.

Now that is more interesting.

blt7cd Nov 10, 2013 10:16 am

what is the procedure for setting PIN on the sunrise cards?

Corridor! Nov 10, 2013 10:54 am

Originally Posted by blt7cd (Post 21759882)
what is the procedure for setting PIN on the sunrise cards?

It's the last four of the card and it says that on the package.

Originally Posted by godsquare (Post 21759812)
Typically, when cc is allowed, it means that walmart gc is also allowed.

Now that is more interesting.

If it does work, this will be a case of YMMV as you have to hand the cashier the gc to scan.

xoxx Nov 10, 2013 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Corridor! (Post 21760045)
It's the last four of the card and it says that on the package.

If it does work, this will be a case of YMMV as you have to hand the cashier the gc to scan.

do all stores require the gift card to be handed to cashier for scan?

atxtravel Nov 10, 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Corridor! (Post 21759763)
The Walmart near me normally only stocks the variable load MC's and the register doesn't allow payment via cc. With the holidays approaching, there are now new gift card racks and they have variable load Visa cards with a $4.94 fee. These cards are issued by Sunrise Bank. I purchased one yesterday with my cc and was able to go back and load it to my BB today.

After loading I purchased another one and paid for it with my Amex GC. The register did ask for the last three on the back of the card but it went through. The nice thing about this is that my Walmart never asks to see my id. I have had CVS employees look at my Amex GC weird when I pay for it as they have to look at the card.

The packages states that the you must register is before use but that is not necessary. The real question is how fast does it activate. It would be nice to purchase, open package, and then load to BB/GB.

Can anyone please post the results of attempting to pay with Walmart gift cards? I have some in the mail and will try it myself when I get a chance.

gloreglabert Nov 10, 2013 11:37 am

Let me state the obvious, people -- please do not buy a gift card, stand around opening the packaging in the store, then walk over to the moneycenter and unload. At least leave the store for a couple minutes. WM employees may not always be the brightest bulbs but they'll catch on if you make it that obvious.

pier11 Nov 10, 2013 11:37 am

I bought vgc before since about april, but recently registers started to accept debit or cash only. So I gave up on those.
Unfinished due to not paying in debit/cash transaction requires managers attention/key to cancel it.

Corridor! Nov 10, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by pier11 (Post 21760266)
I bought vgc before since about april, but recently registers started to accept debit or cash only. So I gave up on those.
Unfinished due to not paying in debit/cash transaction requires managers attention/key to cancel it.

This is what happened to me when I tried to purchase variable MC gift cards. It actually tells the cashier that you have to purchase the item alone.

combiblock Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 21760264)
Let me state the obvious, people -- please do not buy a gift card, stand around opening the packaging in the store, then walk over to the moneycenter and unload. At least leave the store for a couple minutes. WM employees may not always be the brightest bulbs but they'll catch on if you make it that obvious.

yeap. store nearby just re-stocked,

saves a lot of time to just go and load your gobank

3ZeroT Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by atxtravel (Post 21760161)
Can anyone please post the results of attempting to pay with Walmart gift cards? I have some in the mail and will try it myself when I get a chance.

It worked for me a few months ago. I cashed out a few K of walmart GCs that way.

atxtravel Nov 11, 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT (Post 21762417)
It worked for me a few months ago. I cashed out a few K of walmart GCs that way.

You tried those sunrise bank cards? I attempted to buy the regular vanilla GCs and the registers wouldn't allow it.

ncSam Nov 11, 2013 7:08 am

My WM Neighborhood Market has variable load Visas and is coded as a grocery store.

BTW, why does everyone have WM GCs?

AlohaDaveKennedy Nov 11, 2013 7:15 am

Because you can't discount their utility.;)

Originally Posted by ncSam (Post 21764191)
BTW, why does everyone have WM GCs?

ricohitman Nov 11, 2013 7:53 am

So I guess the purchase third party gift card, with WM GC is YMMV? I know you can do it online.