FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-through-2016-a.html)

ntjane66 Nov 12, 2013 7:55 am

How do you buy wm gc at à discount?

godsquare Nov 12, 2013 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Corridor! (Post 21770317)
I tried to purchase one and pay partially with a Walmart GC. The register said tender not allowed. Then the register wouldn't let any payment go through. After about 60 seconds it allowed me to pay with cc.

Thanks for the input !!

liw5215 Nov 12, 2013 9:24 am

Delete

nrdk Nov 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Anyone know if Walmart's registers are smart enough to take off just the balance on an AmEx/Visa/MC GC and not try and charge past the amount? (CC swipe) I know this can be done at Target but unsure of WM

Corridor! Nov 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ntjane66 (Post 21770706)
How do you buy wm gc at à discount?

www.giftcardgranny.com

vagrants Nov 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk (Post 21773161)
Anyone know if Walmart's registers are smart enough to take off just the balance on an AmEx/Visa/MC GC and not try and charge past the amount? (CC swipe) I know this can be done at Target but unsure of WM

Why do you want to do that though??? Wouldn't you lose more on fees? CC = reward -> AmEx/Visa/MC GCs = fee -> University/Sunrise (I believe they changed the name from University to Sunrise) = another fee. You can buy 1x $500 VISA GC at a time with $4.94 activation fee each time (dunno if the WM registers allow to buy more than 1 at a time or can combine with other items, every cashier so far told me I can't buy anything but the 1x $500 VISA GC, no other items). Anwya, this isn't like the RedBird.

vagrants Nov 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor! (Post 21770317)
I tried to purchase one and pay partially with a Walmart GC. The register said tender not allowed. Then the register wouldn't let any payment go through. After about 60 seconds it allowed me to pay with cc.

Did you hand your WM GC or did you swipe the GC yourself?

Corridor! Nov 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants (Post 21773722)
Did you hand your WM GC or did you swipe the GC yourself?

I swiped it myself and then I pushed the purchase button. Then I handed it to her as she has to scan it. She then scanned it but then the system started acting weird. Not to mention all the buttons and re-swiping she was doing. During all of this, I did see her screen say Tender not Allowed. Once I saw that, I tried to pay with my cc but the system was locked up for about a minute. Then it went back to normal and let me pay with my cc.

pier11 Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor! (Post 21774250)
I swiped it myself and then I pushed the purchase button. Then I handed it to her as she has to scan it.

This worked for me until very recently when tender not allowed something started to appear...

groundhog Nov 12, 2013 6:56 pm

What cards with more than 1x do you use for purchases at WM?

Mihiker Nov 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 21774773)
What cards with more than 1x do you use for purchases at WM?

Barclays Arrival, fidelity amex 2%, old Priceline Visa 2%

busymike Nov 12, 2013 10:31 pm

tried buying bananas, bag o' kale, and a $400 VGC for my Uncle Charlie today at Wally. (I picked $400 in case I was denied CC so I could pay with ice cream).

Register prompts GC must be rung up separately.

Tried Chase SW Business. Tender not allowed. It kept asking for the security code. Goon put it in but it still didn't work. Paid with an OV and will drain remainder via AP. If you're in STL and want to know where this no-go was, PM me and we can collaborate.

On a plus note, my friendly Money Center employee tonight had a completely black tooth. She also didn't care that I loaded bluebird 2k (within eyesight of her), walked over and bought 2x$999.30 money orders, then walked back to the kiosk after 12 minutes total and bought another 4x$499.30 money orders. I enjoy doing 6k walmart runs.

vagrants Nov 13, 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by busymike (Post 21775707)
t
Tried Chase SW Business. Tender not allowed. It kept asking for the security code. Goon put it in but it still didn't work. Paid with an OV and will drain remainder via AP. If you're in STL and want to know where this no-go was, PM me and we can collaborate.

Will you please tell more about this "security code"? Recently, my WM started asking for CVV/Zip on the swiper for VISA GC purchases with CCs (not sure if it's for all purchases >$50, I usually don't buy stuffs @ WMs other than VISA GCs).

Astrophsx Nov 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants (Post 21777331)
Will you please tell more about this "security code"? Recently, my WM started asking for CVV/Zip on the swiper for VISA GC purchases with CCs (not sure if it's for all purchases >$50, I usually don't buy stuffs @ WMs other than VISA GCs).

I only got asked my zipcode when using my Amex. Purchased a $500 visa gift card from the new rack and loaded it to my BB using the last for digits as pin. No problems.

blt7cd Nov 14, 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by busymike (Post 21775707)
tried buying bananas, bag o' kale, and a $400 VGC for my Uncle Charlie today at Wally. (I picked $400 in case I was denied CC so I could pay with ice cream).

Register prompts GC must be rung up separately.

On a plus note, my friendly Money Center employee tonight had a completely black tooth. She also didn't care that I loaded bluebird 2k (within eyesight of her), walked over and bought 2x$999.30 money orders, then walked back to the kiosk after 12 minutes total and bought another 4x$499.30 money orders. I enjoy doing 6k walmart runs.

I wish my money center employee's were a little more keen to turn a blind eye. I've got one that once asked what I was doing loading so much and I said "Saving for a vacation"...Which is true as I'm saving points but not dollars for vacation. She's OK with me loading $1K to each BB but gets a little anxious when I attempt to buy MO afterwards. Guess I'll just stick with BB loads and be happy enough.