Barclays - $2

No Amex (including fidelity)
No Citi
No Capital One
Print Wikipost

Bill Pay at 7-11 ATM

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 2:41 pm

I could only justify this with the old amex card...still netting $18 profit for every $500 OV card. Not too difficult to imagine how multiple $5k purchases would make you a decent amount of $/month...
Old May 27, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by raccah
Agreed - I make a few small-ish payments a month, but they all exceed 2K or so. I was talking about making all 1K or less sized payments - could sound iffy, if you are doing 5 digits of any size.

David
I say if you use a non-Amex card to do MS then you should just stick to WM BP since you can split payments up to $2K. Personally if WM BP could allow Amex cards still I would much rather do that than experiment with the 7-11 BP since I feel like I make enough trips to WM already. But to me I use Amex for most of my MS so this 7-11 BP option is just another way to dump my funds.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Anyone have luck with this in the Northeast (ideally Metro Boston)? I've scoured more than a few 7-11 locations in the area but all of their ATMs are either Citibank branded or an old model of Cardtronic ATM that definitely doesn't offer any fancy bill pay service.

Would love any info...either posted in the thread or via PM. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2014, 12:27 am

OV works for me too - another caveat is that you can only make 1 payment to a unique account in a 1 hour window, which is annoying since I usually only MS on 1-2 accounts at a time. I guess the workaround would be to get additional cards (those have unique acct numbers?)
Old May 28, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by youngmoneyhack
OV works for me too - another caveat is that you can only make 1 payment to a unique account in a 1 hour window, which is annoying since I usually only MS on 1-2 accounts at a time. I guess the workaround would be to get additional cards (those have unique acct numbers?)
Get additional cards? What do you mean by that? Is the system looking for a unique CC for BP or is it looking for a unique payment card? What I am saying is lets say you are trying to pay Amex ABC CC using debit card ABC.

Which of these are the following scenario
1. Are you saying you can only pay Amex ABC CC once using debit card ABC in a 1 hour window?

2. Are you saying that the workaround is that if you want to pay Amex ABC CC again without waiting an hour you have to use a different debit card DEF to pay?

3. Are you saying that you can't pay Amex ABC CC more than once per hour regardless of which debit card you use?
Old May 28, 2014, 4:20 am

You guys are crazy to use this. Excessive payments are sure to red flag your acct and then you will be shutdown for MSing. Has happened to me and many others. Good luck you have been warned.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by hti5t45
You guys are crazy to use this. Excessive payments are sure to red flag your acct and then you will be shutdown for MSing. Has happened to me and many others. Good luck you have been warned.
Where's you evidence, and what's "excessive"? No offense, but that's a lot of opinion for someone registered here for only a month.

I think this is much more equivalent to using Bluebird to pay accounts than those folks who were calling Citibank to make multiple debit card payments directly (which required some manual intervention, and thus attracted "attention").

As long as you already have a balance, I doubt any of these companies care as the payments are electronic. I also bet that the payment comes in from a payment processing company vs. showing as a "debit card".

If you're suggesting people who churn more than their allotted credit limit in a month who do this are at risk, I'd agree. But if you make some payments on a balance already on your card, again I bet this doesn't trigger anything-- otherwise, why are Chase and Amex willing partners?

EDIT: If you're talking about using a pre-paid permanent card like My Vanilla Debit, than I would agree with your statement, but it's unclear if you're referring to the credit card issuer you're paying shutting you down vs. the debit card issuer you're trying to unload from. I see very little risk in the credit card issuer if you're using one-off debit gift cards.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:49 am

success on plain ol' Vanilla

Tried the standard Vanilla Gift Cards (not OneVanilla) today to make a payment each to Chase and Amex.

I was a little nervous when it asked for a PIN toward the end (given the comments on not liking PIN-based debit cards), but I entered one and it looks like both transaction were successful.

Remember that you do have to deduct $2 when putting in your payment as it will add the fee at the end (although no temporary holds of $1).

I'm heavy on Citi 100k AAs and some other non-Citi cards I applied for a few months ago (figuring the Citi would end sooner than it did), so despite adding $2 per $500, it's still going to be worth it to me to move some money this way I can't flow through the "normal" MS channels for a few months.

Only thing I'm curious on is whether it's smart enough to catch if you happen to key in a wrong credit card number (you do have to enter it twice anyway) so it catches the payment problem in advance.

Otherwise, I'll post back on when the transactions post and what they show as the payer.

Last edited by teammjs; May 30, 2014 at 7:43 am
Old May 28, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by teammjs
Tried the standard Vanilla Gift Cards (not OneVanilla) today to make a payment each to Chase and Amex.

I was a little nervous when it asked for a PIN toward the end (given the comments on not liking PIN-based debit cards), but I entered one and it looks like both transaction were successful.
Nice, thanks for the data point. Please do post more updates when the payment posted.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:43 am

Trust me your account will be red flagged. I'm referring to the cc issuer. When I was shutdown they specifically stated it was due to excessive payments. In reality, it was due to MSing.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:07 am

Trust me your account will be red flagged. I'm referring to the cc issuer. When I was shutdown they specifically stated it was due to excessive payments. In reality, it was due to MSing.
What is considered excessive to you? Or at least what did the CC issuer consider as excessive?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Care to share more details such as who is the CC issuer? What's your history with that issuer, any other accounts, etc...
Old May 28, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Never heard of being shut down due to excessive payments. Not sure why they would say that.

Would like to know more. How long did you have the CCs? Were all your credit cards shut down?
Old May 28, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
...I'm heavy on Citi 100k AAs and some other non-Citi cards I applied for a few months ago (figuring the Citi would end sooner than it did), so despite adding $2 per $500, it's still going to be worth it to me to move some money this way I can't flow through the "normal" MS channels for a few months...
Why paying $2 extra if you could just call Citi to pay with US Bank MGC...
Old May 28, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
Why paying $2 extra if you could just call Citi to pay with US Bank MGC...
Two reasons: 1) I see more risk in attracting Citi's attention by calling them and having them do the "specialized" debit payments in terms of them flagging my accounts-- I'm assuming the payments from the ATMs are more automated and don't get looked at by a human, 2) Citi f's up so much, I'd rather punch in the code myself for peace of mind than trust Citi to apply the payment to the correct account without a paper trail.

In my case, I like not having to carry gift cards into future months (where there is risk they can be drained- as I've had one happen to me), and I'm churning about 3-4 Citi AA cards/month myself or as an AU. Even if I paid $40 to churn $10k this way, it's still worth it since I'm making $200 on each Citi card anyway, and I might hesitate to go for an extra card month if I didn't have an avenue besides the usual BB, limited MOs, AP, etc.

Oh, and even though it takes about 8 minutes to do 2 payments, it's essentially free time for me since it's on my way to work and I can live without getting to the office a bit earlier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.