Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by payeco
FT meetup? Haha. I live in Wilmington and have a condo at the beach. Just a word of warning: if you're heading to the DE beaches from Wilmington, the Shell station on route 1 near Milford does not take Giant gas points even though it's listed on the Giant website. Learned that the hard way.

They should work for any Giant of Landover affiliated Shell. My sister and brother in law can use my points in Baltimore where they live. And since S&S is a division of Giant of Landover it should work on those areas too. Someone else on here might have actually tried it though. Worst case scenario the first S&S you visit, buy a bunch of VGCs and sign up for a rewards card there too.
Did someone say beach party?!?!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by f0xx
Did someone say beach party?!?!
Haha I'm all for a DE beach FT meet up!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by medichill
After PMing the moderator, I started a Wiki. Please look at it and update as you see fit. I know it is incomplete so your help is appreciated.
You may want to clarify that VGCs from Meta Bank marketed under PayPower brand don't work for the current promo, despite working in the past.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:53 pm

After PMing the moderator, I started a Wiki. Please look at it and update as you see fit. I know it is incomplete so your help is appreciated.
This is how the end of good things begins ...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:37 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by tuphat
This is how the end of good things begins ...
+1. One day, maybe one day, people will learn.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Using shell gift card.

Let's say gas is $3.80 a gallon, after $2.2 discount it's $1.60. I want to pay with a $50 shell gift card for 30 gallons. Will the pump authorize with the $50 shell gift card?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Dangerous

Originally Posted by hokiegl
I have not paid full price gas since 2010. We live in Virginia and I have been playing the Giant Gas promos since then. I always make sure to have enough gas points for us and any trips we will take. I have 10 five gallon cans and if we go out of town we bring what we need! We go to NJ/NY almost monthly and we always bring enough gas for the round trip. People think I am nuts, but I don't care. I drive 45 miles every day and $2.20 off each gallon is a lot. I generally fill up for 80-100 gallons per month, so that is a lot of money. When Giant does not run the Gift Card deals, we use the other Gas promos by buying a bunch of coupons and getting the buy X and get YY cents off items. They offer lots of options and there is definitively 2-4 items any given month that we use ourselves or that I can sell on eBay as a huge lot.
Are you strapping the can to the back of your vehicle? Or just putting it in the trunk? Either way, it's extremely dangerous to carry gas this way.
Accidents happen.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. I just looked for, and found, the "gas station locator" on their website. Only 1 gas station at the Delaware beaches, on Rt. 1 between Lewes and Rehoboth.
The Shell station at the corner of Route113 and Route 14 in Milford will accept the Giant gas point credited from the Giant in Rehoboth.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
Are you strapping the can to the back of your vehicle? Or just putting it in the trunk? Either way, it's extremely dangerous to carry gas this way.
Accidents happen.
The cans just go inside. By design they are meant to be transported in vehicles. The most dangerous part of transporting the gas is the fill up. That's where the danger is because static electricity could ignite when you fill up. That's why you must make sure to place them on the ground.

Your use of "extremely dangerous" is a huge overstatement.

The risk of any accident is extremely small; the risk of a an accident against the trunk of the car while we are transporting gas is even smaller; the risk of an accident against the trunk of the car while transporting gas such that the cans rupture and ignite is infinitely small.
....Then in order for there to be danger to the passengers that survive this horrific crash, they would have to be somehow stuck in the vehicle so that they can't get out while the gasoline and the rest of the car burns.

And if you think that gasoline explodes, they you have been watching too many movies.

For anyone the understands probability and risk, it is clear that worrying about a properly closed and secured gas can in the car is silly. Might as well not drive, because by the time that gas can raptures there would have been so much damage to the car, that you are probably already dead.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by gw14
The Shell station at the corner of Route113 and Route 14 in Milford will accept the Giant gas point credited from the Giant in Rehoboth.
That's not really at the beaches. You're looking at a 35-45 minute trip each way from Rehoboth even without the summer traffic. On the way to or from Wilmington it might be worth the detour though. Not if you're going to be at the beaches for a while though. There's also a Giant in Long Neck that has both a Shell across the street and and on site Giant gas station.

Speaking of the Long Neck Giant, I visited it today to kill some time and get some more VGCs and my points did not post. Not like receipt showed zero points earned, but like the card wasn't even scanned. I heard it beep when she scanned the card so I know it picked it up. Now I've got to decide if it's worth the risk of calling and having someone look at my account to add the 8000 points when I've already got 34000 points in there...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA
That is not quite correct. In the Willow Grove/Warminster/Huntingdon Valley (look for a previous post that lists all the stores), points are earned as Choice Rewards that last until the end of the following month while other stores earn as Extra Rewards which go away (currently) at the end of June.
True, I should have said that. Since he was at a Giant that doesn't have the Choice Rewards program I didn't think of mentioning it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:47 pm

Took my license and entered info into a book today when buying 3 $500 cards at a giant in Maryland. The stores have been heavily stocked recently so they must want to sell these. I never go to the cashiers anymore as they need a mgr to approve anything above $100.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:10 pm

I bought 1k today and the CS cashier said she had to split it up. I was surprised but it didn't really bother me, I was just hoping it wouldn't cause a fraud alert. While she was doing them as separate transactions I forgot to ask her to scan my bonuscard. After both were processed I asked her to add the points and she said they don't earn points. I mentioned the circular, she read it, and then had to manually add them, which she said will take 24 hours. Seems like I must be the only one buying these GCs for the points at this store if the CS employees didn't even know the promo was going on. Hopefully the points post before I need to fill up tomorrow.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:21 pm

I just checked my points balance online and saw this:

Points earned today will now expire at the end of the next month.
You have 4353 Extra Rewards points.

You have qualified for $4.30 off per gallon.

I'm in Central PA, where they used to run in cycles. Hooray! More free gas!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I noticed that here too in Bucks County. The receipt also now says 25 gallons max (instead of 30). I wonder if that means points earned through this promotional period starting tomorrow will be good through the end of August?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.