Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:56 am

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-area Giants now have signs promoting multiple gas points only on Red Robin gift cards (which was also highlighted in this week's circular). Can anyone in the area confirm that the 4x for Visa GCs is still in effect? I missed last week's circular, so perhaps the small print there states through 7/12?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Have you considered the deals are just popular to the point where there are more people doing this than you'd think? For instance, the local Giant with the attached gas station is clear out of gift cards on promotion. There is no inventory at the ones accessible off of well traveled routes: I-95, US 1, PA Turnpike, major roads, etc. It's definitely people getting in on this deal because these same stores have tons of ReloadIts, MC, and other variable load cards. Even with no rewards, the breakeven on a $100 card is 15 gallons.

I haven't heard of Giant requiring an SSN, but that would make me uncomfortable. I don't mind copying down my name, DL, and address into the log book, but an SSN is dangerous if one gets an unscrupulous employee. What concerns me is the fact they couldn't even find the log book the other day when I had been there the previous day with the same person helping me. I trust - perhaps too confidently - financial institutions with an SSN but not the customer service desk at a grocery store.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ronnyk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-area Giants now have signs promoting multiple gas points only on Red Robin gift cards (which was also highlighted in this week's circular). Can anyone in the area confirm that the 4x for Visa GCs is still in effect? I missed last week's circular, so perhaps the small print there states through 7/12?
I was able to get points on Visa GC purchases yesterday, and the promo is good until the 12th. You can purchase through the end of Saturday without issues.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by ronnyk
I bought 5 plain (gray) variable load VGCs last night and received 4x gas points. I assume the deal runs through Saturday 7/12.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I was able to get points on Visa GC purchases yesterday, and the promo is good until the 12th. You can purchase through the end of Saturday without issues.
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
I bought 5 plain (gray) variable load VGCs last night and received 4x gas points. I assume the deal runs through Saturday 7/12.
Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
How many GCs are most of you getting at a time? $5,000 seems to raise the most flags, while amounts around $3,000 seem to go by.
I stay at $1.5k per store visit, but I sometimes go twice a day. At $1.5k, it's low enough to keep you from wasting time with "the book," and not freaking out the cashier/manager. Also, after tearing those strips off of 3 cards, it seems the break point for cashier good nature turning negative.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
I stay at $1.5k per store visit, but I sometimes go twice a day. At $1.5k, it's low enough to keep you from wasting time with "the book," and not freaking out the cashier/manager. Also, after tearing those strips off of 3 cards, it seems the break point for cashier good nature turning negative.
I think tearing those strips is what sours most of the cashiers. "They make these things so hard to tear off!" I guess it's better compared to some of the fraud we've seen with Vanilla GC, MVD, and VRs.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:43 pm

Where are you guys still finding the Visa GCs in the Philly area? I visited amost 10 Giant stores, none had the Visa variable load (up to $500) ones, only Visa GCs I saw were $100 and lower. Are you still easily finding the $500 Visa GCs at Giant?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I think tearing those strips is what sours most of the cashiers. "They make these things so hard to tear off!" I guess it's better compared to some of the fraud we've seen with Vanilla GC, MVD, and VRs.
I usually try to help out the cashier by tearing out some of the GC's while they are also. With my experience, my tears are usually cleaner and faster
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by njdealguy
I usually try to help out the cashier by tearing out some of the GC's while they are also. With my experience, my tears are usually cleaner and faster
Yup, me too. And it gives me something to relate to the cashier with. "Man, they make these a pain to tear off..."
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:29 pm

I highly suggest one of these:
http://www.wasserstrom.com/restauran...Product_390213
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedingLunatic
LOL, sure, and I roll up to the CS desk with a stack of VGC and one of those... "No, I'm not a pro, I swear! I hardly EVER buy VGC... *rip, rip, rip*"

Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:39 pm

I'm new to the gas points thing. In order to get the 4x gas points on variable gift cards at a given S&S, does that S&S's circular need to mention this promotion? All the circulars for the S&S stores near me only mention 3x gas points on Red Robin GC, and I don't see anything about any other bonus gas points for other types of GCs.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by redtop
I'm new to the gas points thing. In order to get the 4x gas points on variable gift cards at a given S&S, does that S&S's circular need to mention this promotion? All the circulars for the S&S stores near me only mention 3x gas points on Red Robin GC, and I don't see anything about any other bonus gas points for other types of GCs.
New circular does in fact indicate the Red Robin promo, but the earlier week's circular shows the 4X bonus for Giant Gas Points continues until 7/12 for PA Giant stores and 7/10 for S&S. Ask your merchant to show last week's circular and you will see the dates for the promotioin. Get your points NOW~!~
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I used to get $5K but then the CS folks started saying "the total can't be more than $5,000" so I just get $4,500 now. No biggie. I could care less if they put my SS# and other info in a book. I actually feel safer in a book no one cares about than with my info going to a hacker via Target or someone else.

AGREED ON THE TEARING OF THE CARDS! I swear if that was easier cashiers wouldn't think twice if I bought $20K!

I haven't looked for anything in a couple weeks since all my BBs are filled up until the end of July and I still have 20K points banked.

Nice to take a breather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.