Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
As long as it is just the fee no big deal. I recently found a WM in central FL that charged $0 fee for MO's. Wish I could have stayed a few more days!
Thats great, but I wonder why. I thought 70 Cents was standard, chain-wide.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:18 pm

I went to two Walmart stores this afternoon on my way home. The registers in neither of them allow 2 swipes of Simon GC to buy MO. The register display error code 51. Is this the case in your area?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:23 pm

cashier error, purposeful or otherwise
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Mileageplus, Aadvantage
Success: bought MO in NorCal WM using GCM VGC

SUCCESS!! I went to a WM two cities over, fell in line at the Money Center (no more Kates in NorCal. ) and I was lucky I got the younger of the two women CSRs. After asking to buy a money order, I immediately laid down the candy cane design GC with my name on it AND my driver's license so she could see the names were the same. I paid for the $.70 in coins, swiped the GC, and voila! Money order.

This is the first time I showed my driver's license and GC together, so that probably was a big factor in succeeding, along with the fact that the CSR was a young woman.

That said, I won't be ordering the candy cane design next, since it's been turned down at the nearer WMs. I'll try an all-black custom design with my photo on it and see if that works better. Thanks for the tips, Java Cool Dude, jags86, air360!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Toyota Sedans
Thats great, but I wonder why. I thought 70 Cents was standard, chain-wide.
In the past, they used to be different at different Walmarts.

No idea why they would sell for free as presumably they would be losing money if that was all one bought. If they are selling for free, there is likely as a loss leader, and there's some specific reason they want to bring the normal MO buying public into their store.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:44 pm

There is some weird grocery/etc store in FL that offers free money orders, so a few WM stores down there do the same.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:11 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by weirdwanderer
SUCCESS!! I went to a WM two cities over, fell in line at the Money Center (no more Kates in NorCal. ) and I was lucky I got the younger of the two women CSRs. After asking to buy a money order, I immediately laid down the candy cane design GC with my name on it AND my driver's license so she could see the names were the same. I paid for the $.70 in coins, swiped the GC, and voila! Money order.
Did the CSR ask to see your driver's license and card, or did you offer it yourself? I've never been asked, so I don't see the need to offer.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
There is some weird grocery/etc store in FL that offers free money orders, so a few WM stores down there do the same.
Yeah, I think it might be due to local competiton. Walmart may be losing a few cents on a free money order, but I doubt it matters to them.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Mileageplus, Aadvantage
I offered, so that she'd see right away that the names matched, which hopefully convinced her that it was a "real" debit card. Haha Coz at the WM near me, when I tried using that same GC to buy a MO, one CSR just said no without even asking to see my ID.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by AzureByJohn
It's the GC fees. Walmart coding as grocery means 2x points, so you'll need 75 VGCs for 75k points.

VGCs at Walmart can be had for as low as $4.94. $4.94 x 75 = $370.5.
Thanks for the very helpful reply. ^
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by weirdwanderer
when I tried using that same GC to buy a MO, one CSR just said no without even asking to see my ID.
And the more places you keep showing a GC, the more places will stop allowing the use of GCs.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by Hall Pass
And the more places you keep showing a GC, the more places will stop allowing the use of GCs.
Hall, I have showed my VGC's, and been upfront about what I was doing in no less than 12 locations for no less than 4 Years. Never had a single issue anywhere.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Ram Trucks
Hall, I have showed my VGC's, and been upfront about what I was doing in no less than 12 locations for no less than 4 Years. Never had a single issue anywhere.
There are roughly 3,400 WM Supercenters in the U.S., and over 600 Neighborhood WMs. You have been to "no less than 12 locations" over a 4 year period. That's an exceedingly small sample size. I can hit up 12 WMs near where I live in a half day and I can tell you that advertising that you're using a VGC would land you in trouble at least half of the time.

You can read through this thread and find many examples where your course of action would not work at a particular Walmart. Northern California comes to mind.

You might want to Google "overgeneralization fallacy." Your data set is small and not representative of certain regions in the U.S. where flashing a VGC would quickly lead to a rejection. You should stop trying to pass of your anecdotal experience as somehow representative of anything but your own limited experience.

Personally, I think it's terrible advice to flash a VGC. Just tell the cashier how you want to pay, and pay. That's it. If they start asking questions, then deal with it.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by missing_link
There are roughly 3,400 WM Supercenters in the U.S., and over 600 Neighborhood WMs. You have been to "no less than 12 locations" over a 4 year period. That's an exceedingly small sample size. I can hit up 12 WMs near where I live in a half day and I can tell you that advertising that you're using a VGC would land you in trouble at least half of the time.

You can read through this thread and find many examples where your course of action would not work at a particular Walmart. Northern California comes to mind.

You might want to Google "overgeneralization fallacy." Your data set is small and not representative of certain regions in the U.S. where flashing a VGC would quickly lead to a rejection. You should stop trying to pass of your anecdotal experience as somehow representative of anything but your own limited experience.

Personally, I think it's terrible advice to flash a VGC. Just tell the cashier how you want to pay, and pay. That's it. If they start asking questions, then deal with it.
delete
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by missing_link

true, depend on CSRs and/or SPVRs at certain day & time. I've been to all 6 of local WMs where at times CSRs at MC, CS, checkout registers asked to see the debit card or asked to hand it so they can swipe it; of course, they all said no if it's GC; other times, SPVR followed to different check out registers saying can't load more than 2 to prepaid cards per day and come back the next day if desired. So, happen that anyone can easily buy multiple MOs and/or load to cards at 1 location, consider it a blessing, lol

Last edited by danhouston; Jun 4, 2016 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:45 am

ramtrucks, just curious where your town/city is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.