Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
- SM cards suck: do we have more than a few data points that SM cards have problem at other stores? ...
Yes, there are many non-WM data points in this thread.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I have a theory that maybe its not necessarily WM but MB that is hosing it up. I think the issue seems to be random cards are not properly registering the PIN correctly. I tried to swipe 5 cards and 2 out of 5 went through. So what I did was after I left the store and in my car, I called MB's automated system to reset the PIN on the 3 cards and haven't had a chance yet to test if by manually resetting the PIN will do the trick but I will try it tonight.

To me if swiping the same card (e.g. 4 times in a row) produces the error message but then you take another card and on the first swipe it works fine tells me that the card was someone not activated properly with the default PIN. I would advise folks to take the extra step and call the automated number to reset your PIN before going to WMs and swipe. This way it avoids unnecessary scrutiny.

Whether this works or not at least we have some more data points but if it does work that will be great. It could be MB's activating process is a little wonky where its not setting the default PIN so the card doesn't know how to process the transaction but if that were the case then hopefully its just temporary. I mean who knows what the issue is but at least we can say we tried what we could on our end.

I had a pin problem with simon last week. I normally set my pin number up. I went to purchase a MO last week and the cc reader said pin was incorrect. I thought that was strange but didn't think much of it. I reset the pin over the phone and liquidated the card somewhere else.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:05 pm

Just loaded fine at the register with SM cards, Kate gave errors on all three so I just went to the register.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:31 pm

My 4 (200) VGCs from Staples were having issues with timeouts too. So it's not just SMGCs.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:44 pm

We need to know a few things for datapoints:

1) When did you buy your VGC? (Which day was it "activated")
2) What type of card / value tried to swipe
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
I got 3 cards from Simon saying Debit not available at KATE and WALLY. Any idea how to get around this?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:37 pm

Sounds like a glitch with the metabank systems. Staples VGC are meta too.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:06 pm

2 days of spinning is across the last two days East Coast three different Walmarts $300 staple visa gift cards from gift card mall The same card will go through or not Have gotten a couple of split tender transactions through but most have timed out and I've gotten to the 8 swipe limit
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
Sounds like a glitch with the metabank systems. Staples VGC are meta too.
I am not sure it's MB issue. Have you tried to use your regular debit card? I did, and got exactly same message as with VGCs from MB.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
I am not sure it's MB issue. Have you tried to use your regular debit card? I did, and got exactly same message as with VGCs from MB.
Encouraging.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Just left a Wally here in the Mid West. Not a problem buying a MO for $499.30 with a $500 VGC from US Bank. Yesterday I bought a $990 MO with split transaction on two $500 VGCs from the same issuer. So I am having no issues buying them at Wally.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has nothing to do with SGC just that SGC being the most used Gebit but based on information that came across, Gebits from Sunrise and Metabank also have the same issues as SGC has. It is WalMart system whether it is reprogrammed to block Gebits or just some software updates went wrong because at least one poster said using real bank's debit card also failed - about the only encouraging sign in the past few days - problems started as early as 15th and is still on going, whether it is MO or BP, all are affected.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I have a theory that maybe its not necessarily WM but MB that is hosing it up. I think the issue seems to be random cards are not properly registering the PIN correctly. I tried to swipe 5 cards and 2 out of 5 went through. So what I did was after I left the store and in my car, I called MB's automated system to reset the PIN on the 3 cards and haven't had a chance yet to test if by manually resetting the PIN will do the trick but I will try it tonight.
An update...so i tried to use 1 of 3 cards that i called to reset the PIN and it did not work so resetting the PIN didnt fix it. Again luckily i ran through my other stack of 300s in my pocket and found 2 new ones that worked on the first try which makes me wonder why those work. I still find it odd that some cards work on the first try which makes me believe something weird is going on with those specific cards.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:00 pm

As others have reported, GCs denied at WM worked at grocer 10-15 minutes later with zero issues...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:30 pm

Hopefully it is not OV all over again. We had similar stories right before its demise. I remember people proposed many "theories" on that as well.

To the IT guys watching this forum: Don't work too hard!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.