Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
As for buying the GCs, clerks do ask me, and I just say that using your CC online, and also in stores, (remember the Target thing?) opens your CC accounts for fraud. This way I do just one purchase with my CC, and then use the GCs to do all those other purchases. They nod knowingly....
Then when using the GCs for MOs, no one has ever asked me why. It's really none of their business, of course, but I just don't find WM or Albertson's cashiers to be that inquisitive. They basically want to just 'get her done' and move on to the next customer.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
Did you keep the receipt? Can you explain how and at what point in the transaction the order was voided?
This is exactly how it went down.

ME: Can I buy 2 money orders for 999.30
WMC: Yes
ME: I'm going to do 4 swipes for $500
WMC: Sounds good
ME: 4 swipes, all approved
WMC: I wonder if the MO machine is still broken, it was broken yesterday
ME: Here we go
WMC: Yea, its still broken, I have to call a manager over to void this

Manager comes over and voids this. I ask when will I get my money? She says within 24 hours. I call SMVG #, see that there is a 0 balance. Fast forward 3 days, I'm still showing 4 cards at $0
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Took two weeks and a talk with the manager (who I have known for years) and I finally got the cash back from the store. IT was the exact same thing with me. The MO printer was broken. The money from the VGC went into a black hole. Never went back onto the cards and MO never issued. They were able to show where the MOs did not issue and they had 2k extra in the till, so to speak, but it did take 2 weeks to get it resolved.
I've reached out to WM. They said I need to talk to the accountant in the store. I've been trying to get a hold of the woman now for 2 days. No success.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by TopSpin46
IME If a supervisor had to come to the terminal and cancel the transaction by using his key on the terminal the money will not return to your card for up to 10 business days. I ran into this a few times with agc and vgcs, it eventually returns the money to your card without intervention.

However if no key was used, then I don't know.

I want to say a key was involved, but I'm not certain. I would love for this issue to correct its self. At the same time, I'm not comfortable waiting 10 days to see if it does. I've been trying to get in touch with the stores accountant for 2 days now.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
I had similar situation, no key was used but the manager assured me that the money will return to my bank. Check with your bank, she said. This was not a local WM, so I did not know anyone there, and they generally frown upon GCs being used, so I just took the receipt indicating the void and left. People gave me different advice - wait 24 hrs, wait a week, wait 10 days...well, it's been 3 weeks and the money is not there. I am planning to call the GC to see if anything can be done. I do have the receipt that shows the transaction is voided, but that's all. I am wondering if GC would ask me "why were you trying to buy MO with our cards?", so I keep postponing the dreaded call.
I would give all the grief to the WM side of things. I wouldn't sit on that though.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Mileageplus, Aadvantage
Originally Posted by air360
Take a fancy "elite" looking image like this and put it on the card and sharpie out the words gifts. You could even put the generic words "elite" or "premier" in the bottom corner of it in white...that would likely work.
I tried submitting this as a custom image, along with the word "ELITE" on the top right and my photo on the top left. They called AND emailed to tell me that the white lines on black background would interfere with the card numbers (which would be in white.) I made the diamond blue, but they still rejected it. Additionally, they said that I could not have the word "ELITE" on there. Sent them a new image with a smaller diamond that'll be positioned above the card numbers, "DIAMOND" on the top right, and my photo on the top left. Here's hoping they'll approve it.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
I had similar situation, no key was used but the manager assured me that the money will return to my bank. Check with your bank, she said. This was not a local WM, so I did not know anyone there, and they generally frown upon GCs being used, so I just took the receipt indicating the void and left. People gave me different advice - wait 24 hrs, wait a week, wait 10 days...well, it's been 3 weeks and the money is not there. I am planning to call the GC to see if anything can be done. I do have the receipt that shows the transaction is voided, but that's all. I am wondering if GC would ask me "why were you trying to buy MO with our cards?", so I keep postponing the dreaded call.
I had similar experience several months ago. I ended up having to call a "central" Walmart number that the store provided to me. A simple call and Walmart person at the other end was able to quickly locate the failed transaction and return the money to the card. I wasted several WEEKS with the local Walmart people going around in circles until I was given that phone number. Be sure to have the transaction details and the cards available when you call.

The gift card folks cannot help as it was a purchase and the money was drained. I believe that after the money is returned to the cards, you also need to call them to activate the cards again.

Sorry but I do not have that phone number any longer or I would have provided it.

Good luck and let us know how this ends up.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by RIPvanilla

Manager comes over and voids this. I ask when will I get my money? She says within 24 hours. I call SMVG #, see that there is a 0 balance. Fast forward 3 days, I'm still showing 4 cards at $0
this has happened to me twice now. The first was at my go-to WM where right after the last DC was approved and I didn't see "PRINTING DOCUMENT 1" on my end, I knew there would be a problem and I was right. The cashier called supervisor if she can make the MOs print; two of them came and couldn't make it work so they gave me cash refund. I learned from them that they are supposed to give cash refund. The second time it happened was at an out of town WM so I asked for the cash department manager when the cashier and CSM couldn't make it work and wasn't offering me a refund. CDM also gave me full refund w/o further questions.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's odd -- I've had transactions canceled many times, both by remote and with a supervisor's key, and the money on the used cards has almost always been there when I used them again on a new transaction. The one or two times I had to use another card to complete a transaction, the errant card worked at another WM later.

Maybe there are different ways they can cancel a transaction, or maybe it depends on the card used. I mostly use Simons.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by RIPvanilla

I don't understand

why did she allow you to swipe then approve but then void the transaction?

Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by misterno
I don't understand

why did she allow you to swipe then approve but then void the transaction?

Because the damn MO machine was broken. The lady was an airhead. After the 4th approved swipe, she said out loud "I wonder if the MO machine is still broken?" . Walks over to it and says "yup! still broken, lets void this"
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
this has happened to me twice now. The first was at my go-to WM where right after the last DC was approved and I didn't see "PRINTING DOCUMENT 1" on my end, I knew there would be a problem and I was right. The cashier called supervisor if she can make the MOs print; two of them came and couldn't make it work so they gave me cash refund. I learned from them that they are supposed to give cash refund. The second time it happened was at an out of town WM so I asked for the cash department manager when the cashier and CSM couldn't make it work and wasn't offering me a refund. CDM also gave me full refund w/o further questions.
I just got off the phone with the accountant. Sure enough their register was over by 2K. They said I could pick up my $$$$ tonight. I'm sure I'll go there tonight and the damn store will have no idea what I'm talking about. Wish me luck.

These are 2 good data points that everyone should pay attention to. Thanks for the input MamiBear
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
A few months ago the I bought 2 MO's with Simon's, the machine didn't print, they cashed me out and refunded the fees. Automatically done on their part.

There should be no reason to have to wait it seems.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:30 pm

Both my reliable WM's in Houston rejected SGCs for MO; "new policy of no gift cards"
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Originally Posted by airmann700
Both my reliable WM's in Houston rejected SGCs for MO; "new policy of no gift cards"
Were you rejected via employee or did the credit card terminal reject your cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.