Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by doubleheader
I cancelled my bluebird and went to download ISIS, clicked the phone that I have (DROID RAZR Maxx) that I just got the enhanced chip for at the verizon store and it says my device is not compatible. The guy at the Verizon store seemed to think it was fine. Help!!!
Also make sure to get a referral link and both get 10 bux (you and the refferer)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Go to the official Isis website and it will list the phones that are compatible. Also, make sure that you are downloading the Verizon version of Isis in Google Play (not AT&T or T-Mobile).
It is listed and I did click on Verizon. I will go to the Verizon store today and see if they missed a step with the enhanced chip.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Is Serve "flakey" these days, or has it settled down and become routine?

The reason I ask is because I used to have Serve, back in the days when you could have both Serve and Bluebird. Those days ended about a year and half ago, IIRC, when Serve contacted me - and I think most other double-dippers - informing us that we had to pick one or the other. I chose Bluebird, and have been happy ever since. At the time, I had stopped using Serve altogether, deciding that it was just way too big a pain in the butt to bother with. I found that the website froze and often was unresponsive (no matter what browser I tried), and every time I tried to load with a CC, either the load would fail on the website end, or there would be a fraud alert from my CC company - or both. Every time, I would contact the CC fraud department and say, yes, this was me, yes it's OK to approve that charge, and please don't block future payments to this vendor. Chase (and others) assured me every time that I would have no further fraud alerts when attempting to use that vendor. Then I would go back to Serve and try a load again. 9 times out of 10 it would fail with another fraud alert. Between that, the low online load limits, and the crashy/unresponsive website, it was just more trouble than it was worth, and when I had to close my Serve account, I was actually relieved to be done with it.

Now it seems like Serve has some minor advantages over Bluebird, and it *might* be worth switching. But not if the overall website or loading experience still sucks as bad as it did before.

Is anyone here experiencing a lot of hassles with Serve, or is it now as smooth as one would expect?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:24 pm

Anyone has experience closing a Serve account and then reopening a new Serve account at a later date? Will you have the same Serve account number in this situation?

Last edited by skor; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by skor
Anyone has experience closing a Serve account and then reopening a new Serve account at a later date? Will you have the same Serve account number in this situation?
Yes. No.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:08 am

I manage a BB for a family member and want to change it to Serve (no ISIS), and I DON'T mind the 31 day wait? I read through this thread and the other Serve thread, and all methods are geared toward expediting the process but involve multiple calls. Is it as simple as-- emptying out the BB account, calling to close it, then opening a Serve account 32 days later?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:37 am

Yep, it's that simple.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:21 am

I just called BB to cancel my card with the intent of switching to Serve. The CSR said I could apply for Serve immediately. I asked about a waiting period, he said it wasn't necessary. He didn't say anything about change in policy; just that I could apply now. Does anyone know of any change in policy or any other info on this?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just called BB to cancel my card with the intent of switching to Serve. The CSR said I could apply for Serve immediately. I asked about a waiting period, he said it wasn't necessary. He didn't say anything about change in policy; just that I could apply now. Does anyone know of any change in policy or any other info on this?
Yes, it has been this way for at least 2 months.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Why would one change from Serve to BB? Serve, at least the softcard version, seems to have all the same features as BB and is reloadable with credit cards and has a higher monthly load limit?????
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
What answer you get, depends on the rep. 24 hours, 48 hours, 30 days, 31 days, 180 days!

The best info I've been told, is it depend on the activity in your account. Like I had a Billpay Check outstanding that had not yet been cashed. So once that check finally cashed, and the account could be "settled" on the next batch processing run, my BB account was finally able to be considered closed.

Slightly different problem than you, trying to switch Bluebird to Redbird though.

The only reason I'd go back to Bluebird is if I REALLY needed the physical checkbook aspect of it. But I've worked past all the use cases I had for that now.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
So the physical checks is the only bene of BB over Serve? I guess I've never seen the bene of those checks. I've been able to pay everyone that I need to pay using the online bill pay of BB and assume the same functionality exists for Serve.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
So the physical checks is the only bene of BB over Serve? I guess I've never seen the bene of those checks. I've been able to pay everyone that I need to pay using the online bill pay of BB and assume the same functionality exists for Serve.
The online billpay stuff for occasional uses, means setting up an address and waiting 5+ business days. If you want to write a check for a babysitter, it was frankly convenient to HAND them the BB check as they leave. It is a minor convenience I do miss with Serve.

The other convenience of BB if you shop at WM, is that the Savings Catcher stuff is doubled. So $0.40 off becomes $0.80 if you use the BB to do the purchase. Not a big savings, and I don't shop at WM often.

In any case the trivially easy 1K/mo CC deposit with Serve is worth far more.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Dec 25, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
The online billpay stuff for occasional uses, means setting up an address and waiting 5+ business days. If you want to write a check for a babysitter, it was frankly convenient to HAND them the BB check as they leave. It is a minor convenience I do miss with Serve.

The other convenience of BB if you shop at WM, is that the Savings Catcher stuff is doubled. So $0.40 off becomes $0.80 if you use the BB to do the purchase. Not a big savings, and I don't shop at WM often.

In any case the trivially easy 1K/mo CC deposit with Serve is worth far more.
Am I correct that there is no 1K/mo CC deposit with bluebird like there is with Serve? So people are switching to Bluebird for paper checks & to save $ at Walmart, but losing the easy 1K/mo CC deposit?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by zjts
Am I correct that there is no 1K/mo CC deposit with bluebird like there is with Serve?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.