Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.

I'm joining this game a little late but figured better late than never. Anyhow, I drove out to my local Walmart yesterday to purchase a BlueBird card.

I loaded money onto the account and went to the website to register. After completing registration, I was told that I could not have a BlueBird account as I already had a Serve account. Ok, strange, but I figured I would just close my Serve account. Easier said than done. I logged into Serve and couldn't close it, so I called the 1800 number. They told me to call back the next day because their servers were updating. It started to feel like I was getting the run around.

I called back today and was able to close my Serve account. Excited, I logged onto BlueBird to register my new account. Oops, I can't have a BlueBird account because I 'still' have a Serve account. I called the number and waited on hold for half an hour. The CS rep alerted me that I would need to wait 31 days because although my Serve account was closed, it wasn't fully closed for 31 days. Now I'll call back on June 23rd, and probably be told that I need to wait 31 business days or 31 weeks or 31 lunar cycles.

Is anyone else getting the run around when trying to set up their BlueBird account? If Amex's customer service for their charge and credit cards mirrored this experience, I would ditch the bank altogether.

Frustrated!
Old May 22, 2013, 6:51 am

Just last month I switched from Serve to BB. Closed account late one week and opened the BB account early the next week.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:04 am

It only took 24-48 hrs for me a few months back.

But cs agent told me to make sure to use the exact same info registering BB. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
It was instantaneous for me about 5 months ago.

I closed my Server via the online function for it and got the confirming email within a few minutes and then opening the BB with no problems.
I did try to open BB the day before and it threw an error.

Last edited by vodkashine; May 22, 2013 at 7:30 am Reason: Additional data points
Old May 22, 2013, 7:36 am
Original Poster

I guess that's just my luck then. Unless I'm the exception, it seems like they've made it much more difficult to transition over. Has anyone done this recently?

Originally Posted by vodkashine
It was instantaneous for me about 5 months ago.

I closed my Server via the online function for it and got the confirming email within a few minutes and then opening the BB with no problems.
I did try to open BB the day before and it threw an error.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Let me throw this into the mix. I had my Serve account closed by AMEX when my roommate added his credit
card into my Serve account and paid the rent. Somehow Serve found out and told me this was a violation and
close the account. I've talked to many different CS reps and the fraud department to try and work something
out but still no go. One or two told me to wait 60 -90 days and try again but I am still locked out.

The last rep I spoke with in the fraud department said perhaps after a year I could attempt to register again but he
had no idea if I'd be approved. I really only want a Bluebird card but since they are tied into Serve that application
was also denied because I have a Serve account albeit a closed account.

Round and round with no way out.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by DutchRyan
I guess that's just my luck then. Unless I'm the exception, it seems like they've made it much more difficult to transition over. Has anyone done this recently?
I cancelled mine online about 2 weeks ago then applied for bluebird 2 days later. No issues.

However for my husband he has to call Serve so they can close the account permanently. Then told him to wait 1 day before applying for bluebird. Now we both have our BB cards.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:56 pm

I just cancelled Serve online and applied BB immediately without issue. Did same thing for my wife but it didn't go through for my dad. They told me that they did not receive the BB application (I wouldn't trust them on this as I received many verification emails from them) and asked me to re-apply BB for my dad and everything was smooth again.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DziVang
I just cancelled Serve online and applied BB immediately without issue. Did same thing for my wife but it didn't go through for my dad. They told me that they did not receive the BB application (I wouldn't trust them on this as I received many verification emails from them) and asked me to re-apply BB for my dad and everything was smooth again.
as expected, there appears to be absolutely no consistency to how BB applies their policies.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AA, SWA
Question Update?

DutchRyan,

Did you end up having to wait the full 31 days? I cancelled my Serve acct (which I never used) on 7/16 & haven't been able to open a BB account yet. I spoke with a CSR, who said that I had to wait 31 days. FWIW, I used the exact same name, address, email, etc for both applications. I know the system is picky about that.

Originally Posted by DutchRyan
I'm joining this game a little late but figured better late than never. Anyhow, I drove out to my local Walmart yesterday to purchase a BlueBird card.

I loaded money onto the account and went to the website to register. After completing registration, I was told that I could not have a BlueBird account as I already had a Serve account. Ok, strange, but I figured I would just close my Serve account. Easier said than done. I logged into Serve and couldn't close it, so I called the 1800 number. They told me to call back the next day because their servers were updating. It started to feel like I was getting the run around.

I called back today and was able to close my Serve account. Excited, I logged onto BlueBird to register my new account. Oops, I can't have a BlueBird account because I 'still' have a Serve account. I called the number and waited on hold for half an hour. The CS rep alerted me that I would need to wait 31 days because although my Serve account was closed, it wasn't fully closed for 31 days. Now I'll call back on June 23rd, and probably be told that I need to wait 31 business days or 31 weeks or 31 lunar cycles.

Is anyone else getting the run around when trying to set up their BlueBird account? If Amex's customer service for their charge and credit cards mirrored this experience, I would ditch the bank altogether.

Frustrated!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by atanac
Let me throw this into the mix. I had my Serve account closed by AMEX when my roommate added his credit
card into my Serve account and paid the rent. Somehow Serve found out and told me this was a violation and
close the account. I've talked to many different CS reps and the fraud department to try and work something
out but still no go. One or two told me to wait 60 -90 days and try again but I am still locked out.

The last rep I spoke with in the fraud department said perhaps after a year I could attempt to register again but he
had no idea if I'd be approved. I really only want a Bluebird card but since they are tied into Serve that application
was also denied because I have a Serve account albeit a closed account.

Round and round with no way out.
I had my account closed due to accidentally placing my CC into my wife's serve account. They both were closed, however, I signed up for a bluebird account the following week and I was approved. This was back in Feb.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:46 am

I keep trying every few days, but so far I haven't been able to open a BB account. Looks like I'm going to have to wait the full month.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:55 am

Data Point

I closed my Serve account on 7/16/13 & was finally able to open a BB account on 7/30/13. I got a message that my email address was already in use, but it let me continue with the application & I got a verification email. I'm glad I didn't have to wait the full month because I want to order those free checks before Aug 13!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by nocturna
I closed my Serve account on 7/16/13 & was finally able to open a BB account on 7/30/13. I got a message that my email address was already in use, but it let me continue with the application & I got a verification email. I'm glad I didn't have to wait the full month because I want to order those free checks before Aug 13!
Not for me...I just tried. I closed the Serve around the same time you did.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:48 am

I know it's frustrating, but keep trying. Hopefully you'll get a nice surprise like I did.

Originally Posted by vagrants
Not for me...I just tried. I closed the Serve around the same time you did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.