Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 7:25 am

$500 variable Visa card

I am planning to buy 2 $500 variable visa card from Kroger and load it into BB at WM. Would someone please confirm if this still works?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by ramamosn
I am planning to buy 2 $500 variable visa card from Kroger and load it into BB at WM. Would someone please confirm if this still works?

Thanks.
What makes you think it's suddenly no longer working?
Old May 22, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Wow, that's a hell of an assumption and pretty damn rude towards the people who work there.
I didn't say that applied to every WalMart employee. I said there are employees there that do that. As a matter of fact, there are employees everywhere that do that. I'm a manager and see it all the time.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
If you ever want to see any again, don't tell him
I think it's too late, looks like he figured it out on his own.

I know of two or three around the Sacramento area. It varies from store to store so it might be useful to check around elsewhere.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:39 pm

Anyone use the MoneyExpress machine with multiple GCs? If there a restriction to the number of GCs it can handle in one transaction?
Old May 22, 2013, 2:54 pm

I have been to 3 OD and 3 Staples and cannot find a $500 or $20-500 card at all. CVS has VR but I would really like to put my $$ into 5x rewards. No question to ask. Just frustrated.

ceburton
Old May 22, 2013, 2:56 pm

Hi all,

This morning I picked up three $200 Vanilla Visa GCs at OD. 20-30 minutes later, I headed into Walmart and tried to use their Money Center ATM to reload my BB with the 3 GCs.

I was unable to do so After entering my PIN, which apparently can be whatever I set it to be, the transaction was declined.

I logged onto the vanillavisa.com site on my phone while in the store and saw the following (error) message under the Transactions tab:

INCOMM 970200 Denied : Delayed Redemption $200.00

Any ideas on what this means? I'm gonna try again tonight after work but am hoping for some insight. Thanks!
Old May 22, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by ceburton
I have been to 3 OD and 3 Staples and cannot find a $500 or $20-500 card at all. CVS has VR but I would really like to put my $$ into 5x rewards. No question to ask. Just frustrated.

ceburton
OD/Staples stopped carrying variable load visa/mc/amex cards almost 3-4 months ago.

You can get 200 visa/mc gift cards at either store for $6.95, which still pulls a profit for 5x UR points.

Also, you can buy HI gift cards and use them at lowes/sears/home depot and many other places.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by ceburton

ceburton
OD and Staples only carry fixed value up to $200, I believe. Do you have a CB branch nearby you? If so, look into this deal and get it while it's still hot!

http://themilesprofessor.com/2013/05...d95f7-65533401
Old May 22, 2013, 3:14 pm

I had a terrible day with WMs today. I bought a bunch of cards today at OD, and vanilla visa "delayed" fund availability for a couple hours. So, when I went to WM 10 minutes after buying the cards, they did not work. Second, this new WM (different than the one I went to yesterday) forced me to fill out paper work to buy a MO. Now it didn't work, but I had to give them my license and social! Looks like I will need to find a new place to buy MOs.

Also, the OD manager said that they would be discontinuing the sale of $200 cards. She tried to sell me that they lose money on the gift cards; that is, they make no money if we were to buy them with cash, and lose a couple percent if we buy with credit card. Specifically, they looked at the Ink card and noted that it was being used. They were indicating that Chase is charging them a higher rate somehow when using Ink. I can't believe that they make no money from them and lose money on GCs with CC sales. No business would do that.

I went to another WM just to try to load my BB card. This WM will not let me split transactions when loading the BB and doesn't have an atm. So, I just load $200 x 5 to load the card. The idiot behind the counter tried to tell me it was illegal to do that; not against the TOS, but against the law. He was trying to indicate that I would prosecuted for trying to do so, lol. I called BB up, and they asked which WM store it was. I wish I had the guy's name as I would love to get him in trouble. That just pisses me off that it is so hit or miss with this. I hope the WM will get the atm thing so I don't have to deal with these guys.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Also, you can buy HI gift cards and use them at lowes/sears/home depot and many other places.
I saw the HI cards and need to do that for some future spending. Main interest on 5X GC was for BB loading and bill pay. Thanks .
Old May 22, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by fastpaced
Hi all,

This morning I picked up three $200 Vanilla Visa GCs at OD. 20-30 minutes later, I headed into Walmart and tried to use their Money Center ATM to reload my BB with the 3 GCs.

I was unable to do so After entering my PIN, which apparently can be whatever I set it to be, the transaction was declined.

I logged onto the vanillavisa.com site on my phone while in the store and saw the following (error) message under the Transactions tab:

INCOMM 970200 Denied : Delayed Redemption $200.00

Any ideas on what this means? I'm gonna try again tonight after work but am hoping for some insight. Thanks!
See my post above, funny we both ran into the same problem today.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by brandon032586
Yeah just saw that lol. Fingers crossed I can use the Money Center ATM later today without a hitch. I was hoping it was just a temporary issue and the funds will be disbursed after several hours have passed. I guess I'm just lucky the WM near me has an ATM!

Fingers crossed we don't have to deal with these issues again!
Old May 22, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by brandon032586
OD Gift cards are flaky from what I have read. Stick with staples...I've NEVER had a problem.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
OD Gift cards are flaky from what I have read. Stick with staples...I've NEVER had a problem.
Since the One Act to Rule Them All (the Dodd-Frank Act) regulations went into effect for GCs in April, I have never had an issue with OD Vanilla cards. Every issue I have had revolved around stupid WM employees. The problem with Staples is two fold for me: they restrict me to $1800 in purchases per visit and those GCs require you go go online and set the pin. That takes a lot more time than just swiping and entering any pin.

I should have been more clear, after waiting 3 hours, the OD visa cards worked and I was able to unload $200. I just couldn't get more off than $200 because of the WM employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.