Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by marble123
I have also had no problems loading those exact same cards at WM, both at the machine and at CS. Don't even need to set the PIN, just use the last 4 digits of the card.
Cool...I'm assuming though it still works when you set a PIN as well?
Old May 19, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by sandersx2
I purchased 10 $200 visa gc from Staples last week (in a couple of transactions) to cover my son's tuition payment and have been trying to load them to BB at local WM (no moneycenter ATM). First trip, I went into the store late (to avoid long lines since I was new to this and figured it would take a while). My hope was to load 5 of the cards to reach the daily $1000 limit on BB. The cashier had no idea how to load the $1000 using a split transaction, so she called over a manager who managed (after a lot of experimenting) to do 2 separate transactions ($400 & $600....to avoid the 4 card limit). Success.

Second trip a day later, I tried again and three different employees came to try, but the cards were rejected with an error about a maximum of 4 card limit). It was nearly 24 hrs later, but I suspect because I went in late the night before, it was posted as being the same day. I'll try again tomorrow. (I felt bad because the line behind me had grown significantly as the employees tryied to experiment with options).

My take away is that it is nearly impossible to find a WM cashier who knows how to do a split transaction. I'm going to try again tomorrow going in early before my morning commute and will just do separate $200 transactions unless it seems the cashier is knowledgeable. If I have to stand in line again to do it, I will....just because it wasn't a pleasant experience having everyone behind me in line get angrier and angrier as they waited.
I always ask the cashier to do one transaction of 3 cards and after I got the receipt, I ask him/her to do another transaction with 2 cards. You need to specifically tell them what to do, else they will mess up everything.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:49 pm

Anyone have experience with this? I tried to buy a $500 Mastercard GC on my CSP and it was declined.

Did the same thing last week with my Amex and it worked? It's possible the people at the Safeway grocery store screwed up of course.
Old May 19, 2013, 4:03 pm

I purchased 10 $200 visa gc from Staples last week (in a couple of transactions) to cover my son's tuition payment and have been trying to load them to BB at local WM (no moneycenter ATM). First trip, I went into the store late (to avoid long lines since I was new to this and figured it would take a while). My hope was to load 5 of the cards to reach the daily $1000 limit on BB. The cashier had no idea how to load the $1000 using a split transaction, so she called over a manager who managed (after a lot of experimenting) to do 2 separate transactions ($400 & $600....to avoid the 4 card limit). Success.

Second trip a day later, I tried again and three different employees came to try, but the cards were rejected with an error about a maximum of 4 card limit). It was nearly 24 hrs later, but I suspect because I went in late the night before, it was posted as being the same day. I'll try again tomorrow. (I felt bad because the line behind me had grown significantly as the employees tryied to experiment with options).

My take away is that it is nearly impossible to find a WM cashier who knows how to do a split transaction. I'm going to try again tomorrow going in early before my morning commute and will just do separate $200 transactions unless it seems the cashier is knowledgeable. If I have to stand in line again to do it, I will....just because it wasn't a pleasant experience having everyone behind me in line get angrier and angrier as they waited.
It's super easy to do a split transaction so I don't understand why they don't know how. I worked there for four years during school. I would ask the cashier if they know how to do a split transaction. If not, just do each one separately. If they say yes, then go ahead and do the split transaction.

Tell them you want to load $1000 to your BB. After they get through entering it in and it's waiting for payment, say you want to use the first card to load $200. All they have to do is enter 20000 and press the Debit key, and then you slide your card. That's it! And it's the same process for the remaining cards, up until you reach the full $1000. But you have to remember that there's a four card limit, so just do $600 at a time. You can only do three GC at a time since the BB counts as the forth card.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:59 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Did anybody purchase OneVanilla MC from Walmart? While I was able to purchase WM Visa GC with credit card, this MC is always rejected (by register) if buying with credit card. And as always, cashier says that credit card is no-go for "credit card purchase".
Old May 19, 2013, 9:01 pm

Hypothetical

Lets say you had access to the following:

WM Money Express
VRs at gas stations and CVS
MoneyPaks at grocery stores

How would you prioritize?
Old May 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerfer
It's super easy to do a split transaction so I don't understand why they don't know how.
That's what I had hoped for, but each time, it seems that at least 2-3 additional employees need to be called over to try and do the transaction.

Tell them you want to load $1000 to your BB. After they get through entering it in and it's waiting for payment, say you want to use the first card to load $200. All they have to do is enter 20000 and press the Debit key, and then you slide your card. That's it!
The one time I had success, that seems to be the process that they went through (but it took 3 different employees to get there.) I just wish the kiosks were available in my area. The looks from people behind me in line made me feel very embarrassed for holding up the line.

And it's the same process for the remaining cards, up until you reach the full $1000. But you have to remember that there's a four card limit, so just do $600 at a time. You can only do three GC at a time since the BB counts as the forth card.
Thanks for the clarification. That must be the reason the load failed. I thought it was 4 cards in addition to the BB card. However, it also failed with just 2 gc + 1 BB. Although that may have been because I didn't wait a full 24 hours later and the previous night's transaction was late at night and may have been posted on the second day (time difference).
Old May 20, 2013, 6:39 am
wcj

Nonstopski- sounds like fraud alert, find your phone as you probably need to tell Chase that you attempted to make the purchase.

BBplaya13-without knowing what cards you have with bonuses, if any, what other perks, points, CB you can earn from your location of purchase, this is an academic question of knowing that $3.95 costs less than $4.95.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
Originally Posted by jk2
Did anybody purchase OneVanilla MC from Walmart? While I was able to purchase WM Visa GC with credit card, this MC is always rejected (by register) if buying with credit card. And as always, cashier says that credit card is no-go for "credit card purchase".
Same here (Alabama), OneVanilla MC $20-$500 Card at Walmart is hard coded as Cash/Debit, no CC accepted. Wish this was not the case but it is.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Lets say you had access to the following:

1- WM Money Express
1- VRs at gas stations and CVS
1- MoneyPaks at grocery stores

How would you prioritize?
Old May 20, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I would use money paks, but I had a bad experience. I decided to leave them alone.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Why even go through the hassle of split tender on BB loads? Since there is no transaction fee, I have the cashier ring up each load separately. Takes away the confusion of a split tender.

The only reason to do a split tender is if you are buying something that has a $0.55 or $0.70 fee.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I run into the same problem last year. Walmart POS doesnt seem to like MC. Manager shows up to override transaction and tells cashier gc should be paid with cash only. I say dont bother buying MC; otherwise you will draw attention and next thing, managers will be telling alll gc should be paid with cash only. problem in my area, the variable visa gc run out quickly.
I cant believe some here are testing to load 10-20 gc and drawing attention. Guys come back the next day, dont be greedy
Old May 20, 2013, 12:27 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pyrotalk
I run into the same problem last year. Walmart POS doesnt seem to like MC. Manager shows up to override transaction and tells cashier gc should be paid with cash only. I say dont bother buying MC; otherwise you will draw attention and next thing, managers will be telling alll gc should be paid with cash only. problem in my area, the variable visa gc run out quickly.
I cant believe some here are testing to load 10-20 gc and drawing attention. Guys come back the next day, dont be greedy
This is exactly my experience. I recall that just month ago cashiers never questioned the purchase of WM Visa GC, now the moment they see the card they immediately ask me how I'm going to pay. Even if the register does not block the transaction.

also, it is true, that now it is very difficult to find variable visas at WM - I saw a couple of them last night, but the protective barcode was removed. I wasn't brave to buy them since the wording says - if the barcode protection is removed, do not buy.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
I experienced something similar here in my area yesterday, while the 1-2 WMT's were comfortable with GC's, one was like no we won't take card payment.

Originally Posted by jk2
This is exactly my experience. I recall that just month ago cashiers never questioned the purchase of WM Visa GC, now the moment they see the card they immediately ask me how I'm going to pay. Even if the register does not block the transaction.

also, it is true, that now it is very difficult to find variable visas at WM - I saw a couple of them last night, but the protective barcode was removed. I wasn't brave to buy them since the wording says - if the barcode protection is removed, do not buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.